Outlets only work on shore power?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by MaeKay, Nov 25, 2017.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    We have a new to us 2005 Viking epic 2308. The lights, fridge, and furnace fan work on 12v and shore power. The outlets only work on shore power. They didn't work at all until we replaced the GFCI outlet and then they appeared to work. Until we got to our campsite and were running on battery power. It wasn't a huge deal since we were only planning to charge our phones with it.

When we got back home we plugged the trailer in to charge the battery back up and the GFCI outlet showed a colored light (can't remember if it was green or yellow). I pressed the reset button and suddenly the outlets worked again. So where is the issue coming from? Is there a short or grounding issue somewhere in the body of the camper? We're electrical newbies but somewhat capable once we know what we're looking for. Thanks in advance! (attached is a photo of where the power box is and the GFCI outlet next to it...not my photo but identical to ours)

Attached Files:

2. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    The outlets don't work when hooked up to battery if that is what you were asking.

MaeKay likes this.
  3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Fbird and MaeKay like this.
  4. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Ha, yep! Someone just answered that on an older post of mine as well. We had no clue! We're complete trailer newbies. Is that why people install these voltmeter and socket chargers? (I mean, other than for the use of the voltmeter?) We purchased one and now need to learn how/where to install it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748DPQ3J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for your reply! This forum is invaluable to us!

5. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Thanks! Oh, JPBar, I'm sure you're shaking your head at me now with how clueless we have been this entire time. But hey, gotta start somewhere! (My family never went camping while I was growing up so my husband and I have been making up for lost time...) I purchased the one you recommended (see above reply) and now we need to learn where to install it.

6. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    We all started at some point, you will be fine the more you go out the easier it will be and you will figure things out. Read your other post, and it sounds like you had a great time. Happy Camping!

MaeKay likes this.
  7. Katskamper

Katskamper Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    i like this even bettr than my other idea. again, where to put it.
    & how to wire it up.
    photos of one installed? wiring diagram?

8. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    The device you pictured is nice, but if you camp in a site with power, you don't need it. You can use whatever charger you use at home to plug into the wall outlet, and also carry a car charger to use while traveling. The less 'stuff' added in your camper, the less trouble down the road.

9. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    I have a feeling we’ll rarely camp at sites with electric hookups. In Utah we have tons of free BLM land to camp at or we go to national parks that don’t usually have hookups. And we don’t spend enough time in the car to charge our phones. When camping we use them to navigate with, find hiking trail info, take pictures, and read our library ebooks. We do mostly disconnect from reality but we still like their helpfulness.