over capacity?

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by Airkah3, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Airkah3

Airkah3 New Member

Feb 6, 2017
    I have a lease vehicle (Jeep Patriot) and recently found a 2000 Viking for super cheap on an RV lot online. The original post said dry weight was 1800. Knowing my vehicle max is 2000, I put down a deposit and set up a pickup date etc, due to the place being a 2 hr drive. Wednesday is supposed to be the big purchase day and I notice on their website, aside from a big sold sign, they changed dry weight to 2200?! How big of an issue will this be if I have no plans on driving this thing more than 200 miles one way?! I am very new to all of this! (lease, camper etc) THANKS!

XKPin likes this.
  2. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    You can check on nadaguides.com to find out. It shows dry weights. However, either way you will probably be over once you get your gear, water, and people loaded up. If you get it, you'll probably need some vehicles upgrades - rear suspension & trans. Good luck!

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    If the dry weight is 1800lbs and your vehicle has a tow rating of 2000lbs .. you will be over limit as soon as you toss a 24 of beer and cooler of food into the trailer ...

4. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Streator, IL
    Most others will disagree but if it were me and the ONLY trip with the Jeep was to get the pup home, there are no steep grades on the trip, and it has electric brakes and the Jeep has a brake controller, I'd travel as light as possible and go for it. You might also ask a neighbor or friend who has a suitable TV to take you to bring it home.
    But then I wouldn't put a deposit, unless it is refundable, on anything I haven't inspected. The worry would be the age and condition of the tires. Operability of all camper systems and appliances requires an "eyes on" inspection and walk through and orientation by the seller.
    If the seller has changed the description of the unit, I'd try to hold him responsible for a refund of the deposit if you decide not to get it. Good luck in whatever you decide.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    None of that will increase the tow capacity, which is what the vehicle is lacking...

6. romno

romno New Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Until last summer, I pulled my PUP with a Jeep Patriot. I upgraded my TV because the Patriot didn't feel safe in several ways. My PUP weighs 995 lbs dry, but loaded comes in at about 1250 or 1300 lbs, depending on how much I've packed. Trying to keep tow weight under 1600 lbs (80% of 2000 lbs), that left me with 300 pounds for passengers and gear in the Patriot.

Even worse, my PUP is tongue-heavy with propane and battery up front -- 275 lbs! That tongue weight caused the Patriot to sag 2 inches or so in the back. My Patriot was FWD, making for some interesting loss-of-traction episodes on gravel roads and steep slopes.

Finally, my PUP does not have trailer brakes. My Patriot was a manual transmission and I would employ engine braking generously during descents, but I ended up overheating the brakes a couple of times over the 2 years I used it.

The shortish wheel base of the Patriot also made towing stability questionable.

I cannot even imagine towing something the size of that Viking (1000 to 1200 lbs more than my experience) with a Patriot! I would strongly recommend you NOT try it...

7. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    My old TV was maxed out. It was very unpleasant. On one occasion the WDH broke, the it was also dangerous.

8. Arruba

Arruba Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    To establish what your Jeep can or can't do, and based on the responses thus far, you want to consider the Gross Combined Weight Weight Rating too. It should be in your owners manual along with the towing capacity rating. In short it's the rating for the whole shebang, trailer, passengers, fuel, kayaks, and so on. Also is the rating for your Jeep or a Patriot in general? Reason I mention it is if you Google Explorer Towing Capacity, the standard answer is 3500Lb, but if one looks at the Ford Fleet Guide the capacity for my Explorer is 5200Lb.

As for the real, "dry" weight I'd look to other than the RV lot unless they are a Viking Factory Dealer, and maybe not even then. For a 2000 the weight should be on the net, probably in the owners manuals available on this forum, or a call to Viking themselves. Regardless if it is 1800 or 2200Lb dry, at 2000Lb towing capacity you will most likely be over once you're loaded with water, propane and stuff. As has been mentioned previously, make sure you give it a GOOD inspection before plunking down your final cash.

Good Luck With Your Decision [TV]

9. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    Heck, add on propane, a battery, awning, and AC and she wouldn't even be able to add the beer!

10. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    The brochure weight (dry weight) on older RVs is a phony number and should be ignored. The brochure weight is only an estimate and is incorrect (low) in almost all cases.

It wasn't until 2009 that manufacturers were required by law to label each unit with the true accurate empty weight.

The only number with any legal status is the GVWR and will be found on a label on the RV. Most trailers have very little cargo capacity so once loaded plan on it weighing the GVWR or even more.

11. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    I am not condoning towing over manufacturer's specifications but every time I go to Europe on business, I see trailers larger than this being towed by small passenger vehicles. Last month I saw what looked like a single axle 17-19' TT towed by a Ford Focus wagon on the Autobahn and this wasn't the only one, RVing is really popular there. I would assume fines for being overloaded are pretty steep in Germany. Point is: tow ratings vary by geographical region on the same tow vehicle.

If I wasn't driving so fast I would've snapped a picture :)

Adam

EDITED: My poor typing and fat fingers

bob barnes likes this.
  12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    You cannot compare North American ratings with European ratings.. This topic has been argued here many times..

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Just fill up balloons with helium and throw them inside. Could make the camper a few hundred pounds lighter [:D]

14. Ian1357

Ian1357 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Re towing in the UK. The general unwritten rule regarding towing is that the maximum weight of the trailer should not exceed 80% of the TV's weight.
    Also your UK driving licence restricted the weight and length of the trailer you can pull.
    I am pretty sure that some of the TT's I see being driven around here in the States. you could not drive leagally in the UK without passing more driving tests.

PS I know that most of the roads in the UK are not suitable for the big rigs we see here. So probably my last statement is a bit mute.

15. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    I spent time in germany and even the rental cars are diesel. Their vehicles are not built to the same specs that ours are, hence why bmw and Benz sell different vehicles here vs there. Even something as simple as the smart fortwo had to be redesigned to meet safety specs in the US. More weight on crash zones means a heavier vehicle. A heavier vehicle means a lower tow rating when considering overall gvwr. Do EVERY ONE a favor and listen to the people who make your car, not the people who assume what it can do.

16. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Mar 8, 2015
    "Over Capacity?" Simplest answer to this question is "YES you are over the limit".

17. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Never Mind.... Deleted

bob barnes likes this.
  18. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    Back on track!

OverCapacity doesn't mean it will break, immediately.

But, warranty or insurance probably will not pay for it.

19. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How much longer do you have on the lease? If you tow it home then get another vehicle it will do it once...

20. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

lease or buy bigger SUV with tow package and you'll be fine.