Overland's 88 Coleman Colorado

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Overland, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Could use some input..

Installed the single bed slide, nice and tight fit after taking a wire wheel/drill to the aluminum track prior to installation and clean up a bit of oxidation/corrosion. It slides ok but could be a little easier, and has me wondering what I could use to aid it. I have the usual grease guns, white lithium grease etc but figure that could get a bit messy.. I also have some powdered graphite I use for the Jeeps lock cylinders. Thinking this might be my best bet but wanted to ask those in the know.

What do you guys/lady's recommend?

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

You wont go wrong with the Graphite. I use PBlaster Silicone spray with a piece of cardboard to use as a shield for the canvas.

Overland likes this.
  3. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Thank You jnc..

Did a search and found out about "dry lube" which is recommended on most forums for this application. I'll pick up a can and try that first.

Sjm9911 and jnc like this.
  4. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Just a quick update of this mornings progress. 48 hours ago we laid 2 coats of TEC primer on the floor at a 1:1 ratio then laid the vinyl peel and stick planking this am. Happy with it..

Glad it cooled off here a bit but still warm, time to get things done before it gets too warm under the shelter were working in.

vinylplank1.jpg

vinylplank2.jpg

WVhillbilly, hq308, Sjm9911 and 3 others like this.
  5. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Went to the local tire shop this am, was gonna have tires mounted to the Jeep wheels and see how well they fit.. and adjust accordingly.

Apparently I made the mistake of telling him these were going on a trailer project.. and it's illegal to put passenger car tires on a sub 1K pound trailer. I'll go somewhere else on Monday.. and keep my mouth shut as to what their being used for.

My tax dollars at work I guess..

jnc and emoney like this.
  6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    P rated tires should make it ride nice.
    Uh, your car I mean :D

Overland and Lucy FJ55 like this.
  7. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Lots of rain here this summer..

Had the tires mounted and balanced this am, 225/75/15 on Jeep wheels. Kept my mouth shut about using them on a trailer.. and $40 later i'm home checking fit.

225oncolorado.jpg

Tight, yes. I will be making lift blocks for a bit more height.. an inch should do it? Don't think i'll get much articulation from short trailer springs even with the shackles.

Once I got both tires on I noticed a problem.. tire is JUST touching rearward wheelwell on pass side. Some measuring and I find the forward spring hanger is 1/2" further back on that side.. so axle is not square under frame.. and wasn't from factory.

I'm assuming this is pretty standard with mass production campers.. wondering how it'll tow as is or if I need to fix this somehow. I know another guy here who has a built Colorado (@jetnoise) who reported his original tongue was off center.

Trying to get things done as I can.. really need to get out. Ugh..

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I hate it when that happens! I would think that the trailer will Dog Track or eat up tires quickly with the axle not squared up.

Overland likes this.
  9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Wheel spacers. All fixed.

Overland likes this.
  10. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Agreed.. and I figured out a quick easy fix. I need to make blocks to lift the spring up and off the axle anyway so.. i'll install a locating pin for the spring pad 1/2" forward of the other.. fixed cheap and easy. In the future I may swap in a softer suspension.

That wouldn't help me.. need the axle forward towards tongue. I didn't share a pic of the bad side.. my bad.

And I have plenty of clearance between tire and leaf spring. Wont need flares to cover tires, figured the axle width correctly.

In order to save some time and get me into the woods sooner i'v decided to pass on reinstalling the bench/table assembly for the 2nd bed (son can use my Cabela's tent) :). After I get the suspension finished i'll be moving onto other items that need attention.

11. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    With all the work I have been doing up to this point I had been thinking I might want to finish it off with a new canvas. I contacted Bear Creek and was advised they no longer provide canvas or road cover replacements for this model. Referred me to Canvasreplacements.com. Looking at ~$1400 to my door.

As luck would have it I stumbled upon a guy trying to unload his abandoned Colorado restoration project. Totally disassembled he's asking near what these campers are selling for completed. But he has a new in box canvas and road cover.. but unfortunately tan in color. His price is good enough to get over the color though.. saved almost 50% vs ordering new.. and waiting 10-12 weeks for delivery.

Son and I finished framing out a small addition and roof on my garage so I will be getting back onto the camper asap. I'll share pics soon..

If anyone reading this needs a grey Colorado canvas that's a few years old and has some rust staining on it.. and can pick it up.. contact me.

WVhillbilly and jnc like this.
  12. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Picked up my canvas and road cover last night, box was sealed from manufacturer. Shipping label of Aug 17'.. so just a bit more than a year old. Peeking in quickly I was surprised to see tinted windows.

Work on the trailer gets back on track very shortly.

NewCanvas.jpg

00T0T_8YsRDJNAIID_600x450.jpg

Sjm9911, hq308 and WVhillbilly like this.
  13. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Made lift blocks for an additional 1.5" lift, clears the 235's fine now. Configured them to move the axle 1/2" forward on passenger side to square it up. As I mentioned earlier the front leaf spring hanger was 1/2" rearward on that side.. pin was set forward on that side. Swung by Delaware Valley Spring this am and had longer ubolts made and bolted the axle back under.

Finished sanding the skins and painted them, used Rustoleum Winter Grey which looks different than what I expected. It looks to me as though it has a blue tint.. moreso in pics than under the white cover on shelter. Could it be the tarp filtering?

Weld on the front receiver so I can pull it out, repaint at some point if I need to.

blockinstalled.jpg wintergrey1.jpg

hq308, Sjm9911 and WVhillbilly like this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    The color looks good. And the lift does also.

Overland likes this.
  15. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Keep posting, I'm following! Nice job so far.

hayyward and Overland like this.
  16. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Thanks guys! Appreciate y'all checking in. I had some construction work around here take some time up but it's dried in and about done till next year.

I mentioned earlier that I prefer dispersed camping over established and sometime crowded areas. But i'm not above slipping into a KOA etc and paying for shower usage, but I do have a shower setup that I take on longer trips. Leaving the camper unattended deeper into the National and State forests and parks I needed to consider some security. I followed a few other's lead in this regard with a receiver tongue to take the ball coupler with me. Gonna work out well I think..

antithefttongue.jpg

I still need to trim away the bracket on receiver but i'm holding off thinking I can make use of part of it for something? Pull the red pin and I slow down any potential thief at least a few minutes. Considering a tracking device too.. any recommendations?

Cut 2x2 tubing to start on the front rack which will be covered with some expanded steel. Unfortunately it sits a tad tall for sliding the bed out and clearing a 5 gallon water can, i'll have to pull it off as needed. Most items I have in mind for this area should clear fine. Got a few other things done here and there.. hope to have it ready for use come November.. i'd like to get out.

tonguerack1.png tonguerack2.jpg

I'll be sanding and painting the canvas bows for install in the next week or two..

17. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Pulling the hitch, thus leaving a "Smooth" tube helps deter theft if by doing so removes the safety chains too. The other side of my Emergency Services job is Law Enforcement. According to that group, One way thieves defeat locked hitch handles, hitch ball locks and the like, is to just twist the safety chains short, cross the chains to form an "X", then cradle the hitch or tube and tow the trailer away using the chains. Another version is to just wrap a chain or strap to the hitch tube and hook it to the vehicle receiver then drive away. To do this requires the hitch to keep the tether from sliding off. Believe it or not, though rare, theft happens, so some planning for that possibility is warranted I suppose:

https://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/d/small-coleman-pop-up-stolen/6669638194.html

Another advantage, if you aren't already aware, is you can easily switch to a pintle hitch should your back road travels require more articulation.

Nice work thus far by the way....

Overland likes this.
  18. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa

I was thinking about a thief using the safety chains too.. thanks for confirming it can be done so easily. I think i'll use D-rings at both camper and vehicle ends.. take them with me as well. Thanks for the input.

I had an RTT on an M416 trailer for a bit.. the pintle was easy but noisy. I did some reading and a 1.75" ball had a tad more articulation that a 2" ball.. and happened to be what I had on old tongue so I used it for now. If I find I need more movement I can always look at the articulating pieces like a loc-n-roll or whatever the Overlander's are using now.. but really don't think i'll have the need. This trailer wont see harder trails..

Forest roads, and i'm itching to run White Rim inside Canyonlands. That would be the most extreme I forsee.

GPS tracker hidden on trailer would be my most effective anti theft deterrant I think.

19. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Shortly after that post above.. I went and looked at another Jeep. Brought home my 4th Jeep Grand Cherokee.. this one being the first V8 in driveway. I had been looking for a particular "rareish" V8 Grand Cherokee for awhile but I settled for a more common 5.2L one. Former Florida transplant, one owner garaged and low mileage. Should make for a better tow vehicle for this project.

It's my least favorite color.. Black. So labor intensive to keep Black looking good, but it was a great deal on a clean Jeep. My point?.. I gotta paint the trailer again. :rolleyes:

Is a black trailer gonna be a bad idea with traveling at night? A buddy pointed that out, thought i'd ask the experts. ;)

20. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Not as long as it has lights on it.

jnc and Overland like this.