Packing / organizing

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by John of Lacey, May 12, 2018.

1. John of Lacey

John of Lacey New Member

May 12, 2018
    Lacey, WA
    I've have a Chalet 1935 that I'm just getting used to and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on packing and organizing an A-frame? My Chalet has a permanent bed in back with storage under, and otherwise the normal low cabinets in the kitchen. We seem to create a huge mess almost immediately when we go camping, and don't have any good solutions to avoid that.

2. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Rik Peery likes this.
  3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We carry several of these ACTION PACKERS from WALMART that we move from house to trailer when we get ready for the camping trips...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

My setup has a 5x8 front deck and my truck bed so we have plenty of room for some serious camping items....

[​IMG]
    Google image

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

shuang2 likes this.
  4. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Our Chalet XL 1940 is similar to yours, and we are not any of organized people. Since we have a larger cargo space than most of Aframes & Popup Campers while on the road, to arrange those camping gear become an easy task. You know, some gear do need boxes to be organized, some don't. We put easy up tent, cooler & gray tank and those bigger stuffs under the bed and on the floor. The bed are our flexible space.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  5. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    We decided where to store things based on how often they get used. Most often used items are in the drawers and under sink area. Clothes are under the dinette seat. Less frequently needed items are under the permanent bed. Garage items (camp chairs, shovel, charcoal, water hoses, etc) are in the front storage box. All food (human and canine) is in ActionPackers in the tow vehicle.

Our theory is that if it's easy to find when it's stored, then we are less likely to leave it out cluttering the place up. To that end, we have divided larger spaces into smaller to fit our gear. DH added another shelf under the sink (removable in case we need to work on plumbing), drawer dividers, shallow sliding trays in the left and center sections under the permanent bed, and several small wooden boxes to fit odd cabinet spaces.

I sewed canvas totes to hold clothing under the dinette seat. The totes snap onto the wooden frame of the seat, so they stay in place. The laundry bag has a space under the seat also.

We've added pouches and Command hooks to the walls to hold small items, such as keys, phones, indoor/outdoor thermometer, hats.

We store hiking boots and other shoes, day packs, rain gear, and cold weather gear in latch-top totes. They ride under the dinette when we are travelling and go under the A frame when we set up.

Containers are labeled or color-coded with duct tape of various colors. Breakfast stuff is in the ActionPacker with blue tape; dinner stuff is in the one with red tape; dog food is in the black one.

We each have a bag to hold our entertainment items. Mine is called the knitting bag and includes Kindle and guide books. DH has a daypack with books and woodcarving tools.

Once you get a system that works, always put things back in the same place in the A frame and in the tow vehicle. We get clutter in bad weather, with items left outside to dry or items left inside waiting to the rain to stop.

shuang2 likes this.
  6. John of Lacey

John of Lacey New Member

May 12, 2018
    Lacey, WA
    Thanks for the ideas. I really envy you that big hauling area on the front of the trailer. That would really add flexibility.

7. John of Lacey

John of Lacey New Member

May 12, 2018
    Lacey, WA

LOOKS LIKE i DIDN'T QUITE UNDERSTAND HOW TO REPLY, BUT I JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR THE IDEAS. I LOVE THE COLORED DUCT TAPE. I USE THAT IDEA IN MY GARAGE BUT HADN'T THOUGHT OF IT FOR THE TRAILER.

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    This is Momabear and me looking out at things. Sometimes she lets me have the roomy side..
    [​IMG]
    google image

You certainly get used to having all that room real quick. I don't have an ATV to haul around so it all there for me to use for camping supplies... Between the front deck and the truck bed area we can haul some serious camping supplies. There is only the two of us so our clothes and other personal items always goes in the truck back seat area.

On the front deck I line the back roll with AQUA-TAINER and FRESH WATER JERI containers and three of the ACTION PACKERS containers... Then all the totes and other longer items lays in front of that and all gets covered with a tarp tied down with stretch rope for travel...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

The other two action packers always go under my inside area under the wrap around seating where I have the table setup there to make the day bed or lounge as we call it. We always have this setup this way and eat siting on the lounge or outside... Using the portable table setup inside for eating takes up too much room...

Of course the down side is the more room you have the more you bring with you hehe... The last thing that goes into my trailer when we pack up is the folding steps that goes under my trailer steps. It fits perfect just inside the trailer door.

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

With all of this available room I still can't stick my hand inside my truck bed to find anything... hehe

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  9. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Georgia
    Our A-frame is our third camper and with each we have needed to organize the storage differently. The first month we had the A-frame I measured the spaces and shopped for containers and other items that would fit. Everything had to be really small! We also have a permanent bed with a lot of inconvenient storage under it, but otherwise our storage options will differ from yours. At least the 1935 has those three shallow plastic bins under that bed.

We have a lot of camping gear. We don't try to haul everything on every trip. Lots of things stay in the camper, but life is easier when we decide what we really need on a trip and take only those things. When packing, almost everything we need outside is accessible via the outside storage doors. The exceptions would be screen house which we only use when we will be several nights in the same location and the table with benches which we only use when our site has no table. They are stored under the bed along with other things we don't need to access daily. You have more storage available under your bed. With those shallow storage bins, that under bed storage is probably more convenient and you might decide to store clothing there. Our clothing is kept in Sterilite drawer stacks that roll under our dinette table, but our dinette is larger than yours.

When planning the kitchen storage I considered balancing the weight. Since our camper's street side was about 100 lbs heavier than the curbside I put the lighter dishes and cooking equipment under the sink which was at the street side wheel well. The heavier pantry items were organized over the curb side wheel well. I purchased two roll out wire basket drawers which we installed at each wheel well and they have been great for organization. If you have a storage compartment that is just an open cavern as we did, see if you can add a shelf. We found a way to build one in the curb side compartment and it made a huge difference. I am currently using small plastic bins to hold some of the pantry items.

The laundry bag stores in the toilet cabinet except at night when we expect to use the toilet. Then the laundry bad is tossed on a dinette bench. The trash bad hangs on a rack that hooks over the toilet cabinet door. We use a short child's broom and it is clipped to one of the dinette benches. Ours are longer than yours, but look around your camper and see where you could put one. I wanted the broom convenient, but not where I would see it all the time.

My other suggestions would be to keep searching the popup portal and join the Aliner Owner's Club. Then attend club rallies. Despite the name, the club is open to all owners of A-frame campers. You will see what others have done to their campers. Here's a link to their website.

https://alinerownersclub.org/

You can figure out what storage options work for your camper's floor plan.

lthammari likes this.
  10. SusanRife

SusanRife New Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Morgan Hill, California
    IMG_2760.JPG IMG_2761.JPG We have two lengths of metal pipe dropped into U-brackets on the sidewalls at ceiling height. (also double as extra wind protection). Lengths of wire shelving sit on top of these. Cookware and dishes got into plastic dish tubs on the kitchen side; pantry things into cloth bins on the door side. All of this goes into two big Rubbermaid tubs that slide under the table during transit. We use two canvas shoe shelf units as out "closets" at the foot of the bed, with plastic hangers for coats and whatnot next to them in cold weather. All of that including the shelving and poles lays down on the bed for transit.

Attached Files:

Rik Peery likes this.