Painting exterior of camper anybody ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by manwababy, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Sussya

Sussya Member

We used a heat gun to remove our decals, and it worked like a dream. Just finished painting the camper and are trying to find new decals that we like but won't cost us a small fortune. We used high performance urethane automotive paint in a paint gun to paint it, and I LOVE how it turned out. DH even did some body work to repair the hole the PO put in it when he was trying to pry the door open. Said he left the keys home, but I'm pretty sure it was because the old Coleman lock was finicky and wouldn't open. Oh, well! The camper looks brand new now--and I'm super picky. Have to say, I'm pretty impressed with DH's skills... I guess I'll keep him around. [LOL]

Pistol Pete likes this.
  2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Check eBay for RV graphics. You might even find some branded stuff for cheap!

3. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Heeyyyy we have the same Avatar LOL

I painted our E1 recently. Posted on here somewhere about it. Think it was in the Evolution E1 E2 E3 thread. Anyway, I stripped everything off that I could. What I couldn't I surgically taped off. I wet sanded with 400, where it broke through to metal I shot with self etching primer then final sanded. Went to the auto paint store with my truck VIN number. Got a single stage paint, activator and reducer. Mixed it all up, dropped that in my HVLP gun, set the pressure to bout 20 pounds. Laid down a wet tack coat then came back in with another coat. Let that dry and shot a final coat. The job came out pretty and more importantly, bulletproof LOL. It won't be peeling, fading, failing anytime soon and that's a darn good thing! Picked me up some vinyl stickers on line and done deal...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Sussya

Sussya Member

I did, Dubbya. Not much luck. I found the gal that does a lot of the pop up camper decals and sent her an e-mail. She communicated well for about 2 days. I sent her the dimensions of my camper and then she stopped responding. It's been about two weeks since I sent the dimensions, and I've e-mailed a couple times, but I still haven't heard anything. I finally just gave up on her. It's a pretty small camper--nothing too complicated. I guess she just didn't need the business. [?:~{]

Anyway, I think I may have found a company that can do it in my price range, but I'm still waiting on a quote. Hopefully that one works out. :)

5. Sussya

Sussya Member

Hey! That's exactly what we did. Did you hit Space Age Paints? They are awesome!

6. HiFiDave

Space Age? No, I'm in Tucson they are not I don't think.

7. Sussya

Sussya Member

No, maybe they aren't. I love your camper, though. You did a great job!

8. HiFiDave

Why thank ya ma'am! So kind of you to say...

[​IMG]

9. Roux 'b Doux

Roux 'b Doux New Member

Brian if you achieve the perfect childhood let me know please. I've been working on mine for ages and haven't achieved it yet. Hope I never do, childhood is just to much fun.

10. Roux 'b Doux

Roux 'b Doux New Member

Thanks everyone for the information about painting the exterior of a popup. I've started cleaning off the decals and will tackle the rest of the glue when done. I was at a loss as to the type of paint to use, but you have all helped a lot.

I have some sign painters paint (it has lead in it) and might use that since it's very hardy and durable. If I do I'll put a warning on it, "Do not eat the camper, paint contains Lead and may be harmful if eaten" I think that's only fair. Maybe then no one will nibble on my camper. If I don't use it I guess I'll try Rust-Oleum it seems popular. Not sure about needing to prime since if it's clean enough, yeah right, and has a textured surface, it might not really need that (hopefully).

Please let me know if any of this seems really wrong or if there's a better way to do the paint job. I dislike the yellowed white on white, where the decals were.

Ore likes this.
  11. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I have a cousin who paints cars. I plan on taking a weekend to go visit him and bring him paint to use. I want to paint my pup blue.

12. matty walker

matty walker New Member

Hi, so can anyone tell me the best type of paint to paint a late 90's pop up camper. It's that bumpy plastic type of surface.

13. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I used a half dozen rattle cans... Turned out great. Spent a lot of time making. Couldn't be happier.

14. Texas Gal

Texas Gal New Member

I'm wondering about painting the vinyl strip at the bottom of the canvas. It is maroon and I wanted to paint it a different color. Has anyone done this?

15. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I've used vinyl paint on car interiors before. It seems to hold up well, but those surfaces don't fold.