Palmetto Bug in the camper!!!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Orchid, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

It got away, so went to Walmart for bug bomb. We had to sit outside for four hours. Can't even use the new propane fire pit for fear of explosion from the fumes.

Watched The Accountant and some Western. Just came back in the camper. No insect corpses, but hope it left the same way it got in.
    20181105_193924.jpg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I had to do a Google search for Palmetto Bug, CARP those things are big! If I had more than one of those in my camper I would have just burnt the camper to the ground. I wouldn't be able to sleep in the camper again, ever! It looks like that bug that was put in Chekov's ear in Star Trek II.
    [​IMG]

Flamingo Guy, pudge, myride and 4 others like this.
  3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    So you covered the inside of your camper with pesticide because of one bug? Was there food in there? Plates cups etc ?

kitphantom and NMroamer like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Its a big bug ! You need to get them before they get you.[:D] i visited my aunt in flordia. One came out from under the bed. Not fun.........thought it was a giant roach. Now i teach my daughter the bed bug song , just in case.

Good night sleep tight, dont let the bed bugs bite.
    If they do take your shoe and beat them till there black and blue.....

Didn't go over so well when the 1st grade teacher heard it, oh well. The fogger might be a better idea.

Orchid likes this.
  5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Yeah, I've been in Florida visiting family and those things are huge and give me the creeps!!! Nothing like walking into the kitchen and see one of those on the counter looking up at you before you had some caffeine!!!!

Orchid likes this.
  6. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    That's not a palmetto bug--that's a Madagascar hissing cockroach. They are way preferable to a real palmetto bug (also a cockroach, but different)!!

Orchid likes this.
  7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Sorry, but it's big enough that it could grab a cane and top hat and do a dance across the counter!!!! [LOL][LOL]

myride, neighbormike and Orchid like this.
  8. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I was staying at a hotel in Jacksonville several years ago, and I saw one in my room. I told the desk clerk that I had a big-a$$ cockroach in my room. He said "that's not a cockroach, that's a palmetto bug." Like that should make a difference, right? Yuck!

Orchid likes this.
  9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Spread some cat nip around the camper. It works and is non toxic

10. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Jul 22, 2014
    Had a friend that moved to Jacksonville FL who was setting mouse traps for the creatures. She thought they were mice until she saw one go up the wall.

Orchid and silvermickey2002 like this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Sure , then we will hey the dogs to get rid of the cats....and so on......

12. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    I'd rather deal with the roaches, than cats.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Eek! I can handle a good number of bugs, but if it came to something as big as my hand... absolutely no way. I'd be sleeping in the car if I saw that in my camper.

Orchid likes this.
  14. Balthisar

Balthisar Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Plymouth, MI USA
    Wouldn't that trap them inside if they're already inside, then? ;-)

1380ken likes this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    They fly!

16. Orchid

Nope, we took it all out to the van first. Then, yes we DID bomb the crap out of it. Found the corpse this morning, finally.

No way was I sleeping in here with a palmetto bug! Have you seen one? They are like a cockroach except the size of a mouse!

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I was born and raised in Fl. the Palmetto bugs are not the worst roach, those little German Roaches are the hardest to kill and the worst Roach to have, What ever Steve was holding was not a Palmetto bug, I am not sure what it is maybe Dingit is correct, Palmetto bugs do not get that big. We had pet roaches on one ship I was on and had roach races, we kept them in a match box and took good care of them until race time, I won $1.00 on one race but ole lucky lost the rest of the races so overboard my bug went.:) it broke the monotony for a while anyway.

18. Orchid

I totally agree that I'd rather see a palmetto than a regular roach. With those little ones, you know thousands of their closest friends are hiding just out of sight.

Even so, there was no way I could sleep in the camper with the knowledge a palmetto bug could potentially crawl on me in the night.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    We brought one home from FL this year in the camper. I grew up in South FL, I recognized it right away. I thought it was funny.
    DW, from TN, didn’t. Lol

20. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Hampshire UK
    WOW that is a big bug, glad we don't have anything like that over here