Pandamonium.

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Panda, May 13, 2018.

1. Panda

Panda New Member

May 13, 2018
    Hi guys, I hope all good. I have just this minute discovered this forum so I thought I would jump in. I am going through my mad inventor stage of life. Like many of you have said there are very few light, comfortable trailers about. I have spent the last 3+ years designing and building a trailer based solid sided folding caravan and I am in the final stage of completing the first marketing unit. Its been a crazy journey, far to long and boring to tell right now but despite being self funded (bouncing along on my bum really!) and with not much of an idea about how to create a caravan I am in danger of getting to market! No marketing budget so I appreciate any feedback, check out www.pandapopuptrailers.com (also have a Facebook page) and tell me what you think. As you will see, without a finished marketing product there aren't pics of one, the design drawings are taken from pics of the prototype so give an idea.
    Happy camping all ;-)

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Ok, you asked for some feedback, and I will avoid providing opinion regarding my personal interest in a caravan such as you propose. I don't get the impression that's the feedback you are seeking.

I went through all of your pages, and my impression is that you are passionate about taking your concept to production. I got the distinct impression, however, it is still just a concept. You have some nice graphics, but no photos of even a mock-up. So, what the site feels like is a GoFundMe pitch. That's okay, but the purpose is mixed, and confusing.

If you are seeking funding to go from the concept phase to production, you need to focus more on the business model and current trend in caravaning, which IS on the rise, and doing well... some statistics would be helpful there if I am investing. In the US, there are some very good stats on sales of towable vehicles, which are very encouraging. In fact, towable manufacturers are having difficulty keeping pace with demand. As an investor, this would excite me.

It seems a portion of the site is dedicated to the end user, which again, is fine. At this point, however, as an end user I want to SEE IT! I want photos of the inside, a floor plan with dimensions, and I want to be able to picture my family inside it. Your current site does not deliver on that front. In my opinion, you are much closer to having a very good GoFundMe pitch site than you are having an end user site. As an end user in the market for a folding caravan, I already know how they work. What I need to see is how YOURS works, how is it configured, and how does it beat the competition (price, space, quality, weight, novelty)?

But, I like the concept. You do need to do a graphic mock-up of the interior though. The panda face is a good catch, but it only goes so far. Keep up the energy, focus on the interior, and I feel you will attract some attention. Best of luck!

3. Panda

Panda New Member

May 13, 2018
    Hello, thanks for some very good feedback. I am now thinking I shouldn't have posted the website until I had updated it. The content is a hotchpotch of snippets from my business plan used to gain a 10k start up loan and pics from the album dating back over a year. Just after those photos the guy who was fabricating the moulds and panels declared he was retiring to france and left me with no roof mould or panel so I learnt the rudiments of grp and made it in my garage. I am now months away from a completed marketing model and finalised moulds. I promised myself i would finish it before hitting the public button but got too excited when I saw this site. I am glad you think the upwards popularity in the sector will continue to increase, I see the recent offering from airstream (basecamp) as a good sign. It really has been a 'back of the envelope' design process and my first task when the marketing unit is ready is to get some professional design drawings. I think I will get onto my web man and get rid of all of the business plan blurb and change it to a coming soon kind of content. Cheers, Steve ;-)

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Kind of reminds me of Apache hard sided pop ups, without the bunks.

But I agree just not enough information on the page to make any real judgement. It would be nice to see it. Might need bigger windows to feel more open.

5. Panda

Panda New Member

May 13, 2018
    I don't know if i have seen the apache range, rings a bell though and will have a look. You are absolutely right though, I have tried to keep my head down and focus on completing the finished product, without that the rest is redundant and the web site is really old stuff to get the format of the site. You would think that the windows were too small but when i first cut the holes in the panels i was surprised how much light there was, small but many i figure.Thanks for your input ;-)

Orchid likes this.
  6. HC1

HC1 New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    With no marketing budget, "not much of an idea about how to create a caravan" , and apparently no manufacturing ability this is project is a non starter.

It is fun to imagine and draw things, it is much different to put them into production. If you do manage to somehow get a few of these built the panda theme will sink any sales.

7. Panda

Panda New Member

May 13, 2018
    Thanks for feedback.

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Are the ears useful or just there for wind drag?

9. TRR

TRR Active Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Alabama USA
    Hey, that phrase would also be a good line for the Insults thread. :p

neighbormike and jnc like this.
  10. Panda

Panda New Member

May 13, 2018
    The ears are there for interior headroom, to provide sufficient height for the roof lifting system and to provide a more secure area for the sliding carrying rack secured between the ears to attach bikes, canoes, surf boards etc. Drag not applicable as top of ears are at similar height as average car (uk). Generok was correct in that the web site does not give any up to date info. Cheers big ears (its a london phrase) ;-)