Panel removal on a Coleman

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by tom Brown, Jun 12, 2017.

1. tom Brown

tom Brown New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Any suggestions on how to release the bond on the ABS panels where they join other panels? It is a very strong bond. Any advise appreciated.

Thanks
    Tom B

2. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    I found they had used two different materials to bond the panels. The standard two sided tape and mastic tape. A sticky putty tape. I used a long knife (the type with the blades that snap off) and a putty knife. Not fun or fast but I was able to disassemble my front trunk without too much frustration.

3. Fless

Fless Active Member

^^^^ This. I used a slightly sharpened putty knife on the front box of my Cheyenne. Wear padded gloves if you can and carefully work the putty knife between the panels. That will cut through the tape. Can be a long and tedious job, but be careful not to flex the panels so much that they crack. Keep the putty knife on the same plane as the seam in the panels. As you do it you'll get a method and rhythm.

Re-assembly was using 3M Auto Super Strength Molding Tape, #03616. Typical 2-sided tape isn't strong enough to hold things together.