Parking on grass for the winter

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by bknjohnson, Nov 19, 2013.

1. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

Apr 1, 2006
    Tyngsboro, MA
    I tried some searches on the forums for this topic and didn't have a lot of luck this morning. We have a gravel area by our driveway that I usually park the PUP over the winter. When we have the driveway plowed in the winter the PUP gets a lot of snow pushed right up against it. So this fall after winterizing I moved it to a different location, sitting on grass, giving the plow driver a lot more room to work with. Someone expressed a concern that parking the PUP on grass over the winter might cause moisture problems, more so than sitting on gravel. They had parked a car on their lawn and the floor rusted and rotted. I can't imagine that happened over one winter, and besides the PUP sits a lot higher than a car and would allow for a lot more air circulation. Has anyone seen or heard concerns or issues from a PUP spending a New England winter parked on grass versus gravel or pavement? One day I'd like to have covered parking for it, but that's a long way off.

2. dickinjo

dickinjo Member

May 22, 2012
    I had similar concerns and someone suggested putting plastic down then running tires up on boards. However then it was pointed out that puddles in plastic would be worse than just the grass alone. This lead to the suggestion of sloped plastic and boards....At this point I decided to make temporary/seasonal PVC/Tarp shed ove the top and still use boards for tires. This way air can circulate but excess water/snow doesnt collect. Trailer tongue is jacked up and blocked so there is a good slope on roof anyway.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    Fleetwood suggests

'7. DO NOT store trailer in tall grass, weeds or near wood piles.'

I can only assume this is due to areas susceptible to critters!

4. JT2

JT2 Member

May 20, 2008
    Hi
    In my experience, and in general, the risk seems to be much more from critters than moisture. The best parking area is paved but that's not always possible. Next would be a rolled or packed gravel/stone area. Even a "bare spot" free of growth is preferable to anything with grass or brush. I've heard of folks putting down heavy wire mesh -- "hardware screen" -- under the camper as well. The whole idea is to make the area as uncomfortable as possible for little critter feet.

I believe you're correct about sufficient airflow removing most moisture (absent any puddles or standing water underneath) but a grassy plot will retain more moisture and thus take longer to dry. Additionally, elevating the camper even a couple inches (wheels up on boards, etc) may prove useful by making it just a bit harder for critters to seek shelter and provide a bit more air.

Whatever you choose, make certain the paved/gravel/protected area is bigger than the entire area of the camper; just doing it under the wheels won't help much.

Let us know how it works out.

/JT

5. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Clinton, Illinois
    Both of our popup, past and present, have been stored on grass. We do have wood under the tires, I always thought DH put the wood there to keep the tires from sinking into the grass when the ground gets soggy.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    You definitely do not want the tires sitting in grass all winter. Put them on something like pavers or Lynx Blocks so they are up out of the wet grass/damp ground.

landon6062 likes this.
  7. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

Apr 1, 2006
    Tyngsboro, MA
    Thanks all, I'll at least get the tires up off the grass for the winter. Otherwise I think we'll be all right. It's not tall grass, just a small section of our lawn. Not too worred about critters, critters got in and destroyed the canvas when it was parked on the gravel so if they are going to do it, grass can't be any worse.

8. jweaks

jweaks Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Texas
    I'm gonna start storing the popup in the grass beside the driveway all the time.

1. Do y'all think it really is enough to just put down a couple pavers for the tires, or is it a lot better to gravel a section?

2. There are nearby ground sprinklers by the trees, but I can adjust them to not spray directly on the camper, though should I be concerned about the long-term rusting effect of air-born water vapors nearby?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would just shut off the two that are spraying on ether side of the pup.

10. jnc

@bknjohnson This post was made 5 years ago so how did it work out?

11. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    There’s a much easier solution to this problem. Do what I did; move to Florida.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    . I can't comment on the water sprinkler as I don't have that problem. Thanks to my HOA I have to keep my camper stored in off site storage. The only cheapest facility around is a large field. So my camper is stored on the grass. I make sure the grass gets trimmed all around it and during winter storage I make sure the tires are on pavers. Mainly because come spring that field is a mud pit and the tires can sink into the soft ground. In time the camper will kill the grass under it because the grass is not getting any light at all so that will eventually turn into mud as well. However if your winters are mild and you take the camper out more than I do then there might be some hope for the grass. My camper has been stored here for years and I haven't had a problems. With that said I do not have any sprinklers to worry about. All I have is rain and mud. I would be afraid the sprinklers or moisture from them could rot the wood from underneath.

13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    If you are going to park it on the grass all the time then why not put down stone dust or pea stones. The grass is going to die anyway if the camper is parked there all the time.

14. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The rust the car experienced was likely due to the grass/weeds growing up around it.

I'm not sure what my long term solution for camper storage is yet as my neighbor may sell the lot between our houses in the next few years and changes I make on my property will be different if I am able to purchase it. I'm staying patient in preparation to purchase that and building a garage with a full hookup pad for the camper.

What I am doing for now is parking in my back yard (country back yard) but since I don't know if its permanent I didn't want to gravel the whole area. I dug out strips where the wheels go and put down gravel and built up until the camper would sit level when I backed in. Then I still maintain the grass around the camper and keep it short underneath. I've had no problems and the camper stays a bit cooler than when I parked in on the gravel drive.

15. jnc

If you just let the grass die, when you move or buy a larger camper the grass will grow back.

jweaks likes this.
  16. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen New Member

Jul 5, 2018
    This is a timely thread: I am planning to park my PuP on section of my backyard (in Minnesota). I was thinking that I would put pavers down under the wheels and jack, and support each of them from underneath by digging post-holes and filling with concrete. I'd cover the PuP with an awning (it's got an ABS roof). I am sure the grass underneath will die, turning the dirt to mud, so I was thinking of covering the area under the awning with landscape cloth then rock. But I had read that silt may push up around the rocks, unless I do a full 12-inch-deep 3-layer driveway (?). I was wondering if I should try to edge-in the area, and plant a hardy ground cover instead of rocks.

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    When I picked up my pup this year the po had it under a tree in grass for probubly 5 years. It got some stains from the tree and rust on the feet, but otherwise held up fine.

18. jnc

I have one in the Mud(spring time) the other is on the lawn. I just put a couple of pressure treated boards under the tires & tongue. The only issue I have is the Chickens spend half the day under one or the other.

19. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I have debated this a few times and don't wish to start another debate. The ground will produce moisture under the vehicle. There is a survival method to collect the moisture that comes off the ground. Do as you wish, I park mine on a tarp.

20. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I parked mine on grass and fire-ants made a nest in the roof when I lived in Georgia. A year later I moved to Alabama and parked on grass, the moisture made inside damp so I put a lot of DampRid inside and it helped some. Would I do that again? - no.