People walking through your campsite?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Rkcampers, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm surprised your dog didn't alert when they were that close to your camper!

My least favorite thing about Fort Wilderness is that, even if you had called and complained, likely nobody would have done a thing about it. They are so afraid of offending anyone, even the wrong-doers! Thankfully, I've never had any trouble there, but have read some horror stories about lack of action. The one thing I can say is that they will happily upgrade the person who is complaining to any other loop, or even a resort room or suite, if things get too deep.

The whole "squatter" thing is cracking me up. I don't know how they got past check-in, but in the middle of the night, I'd say it likely wasn't that difficult. I just can't imagine how they thought they were going to get away with that ...

2. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

Jan 24, 2009
    IDAHO
    I shouldn’t respond to this but.....when I go camping it is to get away from people, cell phones, anything “city”, music, noise of any kind. I want to be with nature, period. I don’t want to meet anyone. I can’t tell you what I do, but I scare the hell out of my wife. I always bring my German Shepherd, I speak another language—not English and is uncommon in the US. I can’t tell you what I do but people are scared to be near me. I NEVER carry a firearm when camping.....You can fill in the blank_________________

One pissed off PSD war veteran
    Bill

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

That's really freaky. In most pop-ups you'd have to crawl under the master bunk to access the propane. Very ballsy and freaky for someone to do that.

Orchid likes this.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    The clipper is my class C not the popup FnR. The dogs sleep on the cabover bunk with me. If they aren't looking out the windows and there isn't a noise, they won't notice anything up there. Fortunately that family left that day (their planned departure day).

Normally I rarely have issues with people. Bat-dog's barking at strangers is usually enough for folks to not come into my space. But at the same time, my making an effort to quiet down Bat-dog and tell her that others have a right to be there is usually enough to reassure folks that I'm not a psycho with a mean dog.

The only other "intruder incident" was several years back when I had the TT. There were campers next to me who were with another campsite down the road. The folks in the site down the road would come visit and let their dogs run free between the sites. Those two dogs stood just outside the range of my dogs' tethers (which was inside my campsite space but on the side of my dogs away from where I was sitting) pee repeatedly and bark and growl at mine. It was a very aggressive dog behavior on their part and is why I no longer use tethers - I don't want other dogs to see a part of my site to be conquerable land like that. My dogs are only limited by me and other dogs have to get into "my personal space" to challenge or tease my dogs and they are less likely to do that.

Orchid likes this.
  5. Orchid

Wow, I hope you boondock.

Once, we had a man come out of the trailer across from us come outside and let the loudest simultaneous fart and sneeze I've ever heard, before going back inside. That was pretty darn scary. [;)]

6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Gotta be careful doing that. Good way to poop yourself. [:D]

1380ken and Orchid like this.
  7. Orchid

At the time, we were discussing that. I'm thinking his wife got sick of him farting in the camper, and told him to go outside and do it. Guessing the sneeze was unexpected ....

8. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    I guess I would say that if I have to do freaky scary things to be able to have solitude with nature, then I'm not picking my camping sites very well.

I just spent the week at the same campground I was at last month. Last trip had the 7 families with all the kids. If I wasn't willing to be social, then I was in the wrong place. This trip, I was there Saturday to Saturday and had it pretty much to myself from Tuesday through Friday. Only a couple other sites taken and they were in a different loop. They did their thing in their loop, I did mine in my loop (and the empty third loop). Such a difference! By Saturday, there were about 6-8 more sites reserved and some walk-ins showing up.

9. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    That's a horrible thing! Worse than peeing when you sneeze..

WVhillbilly likes this.
  10. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

Jan 24, 2009
    IDAHO
    Yes, that’s all I do. I used to bring my Honda 2000 with me, but now I bring a Zamp 120W solar suitcase for the camper and a yeti400 lithe battery as backup. My German Shepherd is trained to attack on command. Unfortunately he is getting old now. My previous German Shepherd was the smartest one I’ve ever owned. He was trained to attack using sign language. After 12 years he passed away. It takes me years of everyday training where a very close bond is developed. When my current Shepherd comes up and looks at me, I know exactly what he wants.

As far as the farts are concerned, he is only using alternative energy

Orchid likes this.
  11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Never do break wind while smoking. Total of 5 sites would be wiped out.

WVhillbilly likes this.