Pic of a over/under with Tv

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by Whiskeyme, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    We just did this on our new used '08 FW Arcadia (almost identical to a Niagara) before taking it anywhere. We did axle "flip" only, plus new tires of the original size. This raised the trailer about 5-6". The stabilizers still reach, mostly (had to use one Lynx block between the 4 of them on our first trip), and the step is okay. We used a step stool under it anyway but it wasn't needed. My kids are used to a much bigger step.

We had several reasons to do this:
    1. too uncomfortable to work under it--I know there's something goofy about that gray tank but I wasn't about to get under it.
    2. couldn't get it in the driveway
    3. waste drain openings were too low to use the sewer cleanout at home, to use a portable grey tank, to get into the driveway, etc. We used a dump station at a campground and it would have been very difficult had we not gotten that bit of lift ahead of time.

We do have one stupid issue because of it: We switched to a 3 1/4" drop on the drawbar and now it's so short, the truck and trailer have to be perfectly straight to open the tailgate while hitched or the tailgate hits the tongue jack.

This mod won't make our popup offroad worthy, but now that we can get it out of the driveway, we can try it out and see if we like it enough for it to be worth bothering. It'll probably require a beefier axle. By "offroad", I just mean rougher forest service type roads. Not actual offroading.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Lots of people do the axle flip for the reasons you stated. It should hold up ok for you and as stated you can at least get it out of the driveway now. Good Luck and Happy Camping