Picked up my PUP project.

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by DR Stitch H.D, Nov 16, 2018.

1. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Sydney
    I finished work early today to pick up my 1987 Golf Tourer, Golf is an Australian manufacturer in Queensland.
    It's a little bigger than I at 12'6" x 7'2" whilst it needs a lot of work it has good bones we Aussies say.
    In a few weeks time my son & I will make a start on a repair/replacement & that will follow-up with replacing the timber for the beds & what ever else.
    I will the replace the canvas with something custom that'll make myself as I actually work in canvas/pvc trade.

Attached Files:

gail58, Overland and hq308 like this.
  2. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Sydney
    This is the manufacturer from Queensland.

Attached Files:

hq308 likes this.
  3. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Sydney
    My first purchase for my 87 Golf, when I picked it up it needed a new jockey wheel & I had to use the one from my box trailer & now it has a new 8" that I got on sale but I still need to modify the mounting point to get it higher enough for both our cars.

Attached Files:

gail58 likes this.
  4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Looks like a good project. Are parts available for it?

DR Stitch H.D likes this.
  5. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Sydney
    I haven't really had a great look yet but it appears to be solid & I'll be having a go at making stuff myself as far the roof & body is concerned.
    It tows well & the override brakes seem to work as they should.

gail58 likes this.
  6. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Sydney
    Figured I'd hook up a battery to see what I'm getting myself into, the canvas doesn't scare me too much as I'm in industrial textiles trade here in Sydney & have been for over 20 years.
    But the roof itself needs a lot of & both the sliding bed ends need replacing but I'm fairly confident with the timber too.
    Overall it's structurally sound & I'm very pleased with that, so the following picture's shows it's current state & the last image are the two colours in 11 or 12oz canvas that I'm using.

Attached Files:

gail58 and hq308 like this.
  7. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Looking forward to seeing the progress. Good luck!

Turfit, gail58 and DR Stitch H.D like this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Just take your time and think any part of the project thru. Good Luck on the project.

9. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Sydney
    Here'sa little walk around of my 1987 Aussie made Golf popup.

hq308 likes this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Good luck with the remodel, I am going to be real curious to follow all the work you done to fix it up. It even has an oven. Didn't realize they put ovens in popups back then.

11. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Sydney
    Thanks, did the video work? For some reason it won't play for me.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    yes the video worked for me when I used my iPad to view it. Of course, It was at the Crack of dawn early in the US when most sane people are asleep. And not playing around on the camping forum dreaming of camping.;)

13. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Sydney
    Yeah it's a 1987 Golf Tourer with independent suspension & override brakes made by Golf Caravans in Queensland Australia now in Sydney.
    It does require a lot work & I'm still unsure which way I'll go with the re-canvas but in saying that I have over 20 years in the heavy duty textiles trade & I've been offer some "free samples" by one of our sales reps from one of our suppliers.
    It will cover the roofing over the bed ends, clear pvc & a heavy duty pvc fly mesh.
    The canvas will come from another supplier.

gail58 likes this.
  14. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Sydney
    I stripped out the canvas today & I han a proper look at the roof & it appears to require a re-make of entire roof.
    I'll re-make the roof frame in 12mm (1/2") marine grade ply & I'll most likely re-skin it in .6mm aluminum sheeting, this stuff is used to skin the top of box truck bodies & it's about 8' wide.
    The ply for the bed ends also need replacing too, the last pic shows a tarp made from heavy duty pvc.
    I made the tarp work to protect the camper whilst work is underway.

Attached Files:

gail58, hq308 and Overland like this.
  15. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Sydney
    So here's the roof & as you can see it needs a lot of, but just like Steve Austin ladies & gentleman we can rebuild it!
    I've already removed the air vent & it's in fairly good condition as with the aluminum top aside from coming apart after what appears that something went through from underneath.
    The main timber frame is no good & I'll be sandwich-ing two pieces of ply with pva clue & I guess we'll go from there.

Attached Files:

hq308 likes this.
  16. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    As we Americans would say, that thing is wasted. Sounds like you have the skills and are up to the challenge. Good luck.

17. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Sydney
    Most thing's are fixable!!
    Also I enjoy a challenge.

1380ken likes this.
  18. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    Lasalle Ontario
    That roof looks easy enough to duplicate or possibly improve upon . Looks like an interesting project . Good luck

19. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Sydney
    Yeah thanks, it's a very structure that used many different small pieces of timber to make the frame & I'll making a more of a solid version of the same frame & I'll be reusing the same skin to keep it looking original.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  20. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

My first thought was "1987? That's not so old…" Then I remembered our first kid was born in 1988. I think he's had almost as rough a life as your camper. :p

Sounds like it'll be better than original by the time you're through with it. Best of luck! I'm kind of jealous… I'd love to have the time to tackle a project like that.