placement of level bubbles ????

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by NKYCampers, Apr 5, 2017.

1. karley020

karley020 Member

Apr 20, 2016
    WI
    If using a 3' level, don't forget to take it off the roof before popping up... good thing my husband is tall and it was on the edge above the door...

2. Mossyoak660

Mossyoak660 New Member

Mar 18, 2017
    I

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    On my Starcraft 14RT I have to have the trailer "very level" in the front to back or the door will bind up.

It doesn't matter all that much side to side so I can slightly keep the back side down some so that water from the air conditioner will flow off the back the side.

I installed on of these stick-on bubble gauge just at the side of the door on the bottom of the frame and I will get this as close as I can when hand cranking the tongue jack on initial setup. I always have the velcro flaps in place on the door before setting the level.

[​IMG]

What I did was lay my carpenter level on the frame first to crank on the tongue jack to get it level and then fine tuned on the tongue jack and the rear stabilizer jack to get the door square with the door jam and working without binding. You can see the door jam alignment real good by just watching the crack around the door. Once I got it to work just prefect than I stuck one of the bubble levels shown above on outside of the trailer down near the bottom of the door and made sure the bubble gauge was reading "SQUARE" before I pressed it in place. Now all I have to do is crank on the tongue jack to get it close just by observing the bubble gauge and then fine tune the reading with rear stabilized jack to make the door fit just right.

Got it down to a science now on setting it up plum with the door jam...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    . Your not the only one. My bubble levels are still sitting in the drawer of the camper. I keep the 3 foot in my front trunk on top of the anderson and lynx blocks. I just pull it out with everything else. Not to mention I trust it better than the small ones anyway.

5. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

Jul 28, 2017
    I am going to try using my phone and see how that works. I had a small 1 ft. level but it has ran off from my pup.....dh may or may not have had something to do with that ;)

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    .I used my phone in a pinch and it worked surprisingly well. I took multiple measurements in three different places to be sure it was accurate. Just don't do what I did and leave the phone on the roof. I personally don't feel comfortable doing this on a regular basis, but accurate enough I could get through a camping trip.

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have bubble levels on our TT. one in the front, one on the side and one on the rear. I leveled the unit then used a level to mark a line and installed the level, I did this on all three
    when I level front to back I place a small level on the frame until I get close then go by the bubble level.

8. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    I do the same and wouldn't mount it anywhere else. You can also watch the level as you backing in and find a spot that might not need leveling.