plug for A/C in camper

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by DarrellM, Aug 20, 2017.

1. DarrellM

DarrellM New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Yorktown/Williamsburg Va
    Greetings everyone. i recently bought a used 1993 coleman sequoia pop. Weh we picked it up the guy we got it from also gave us an a/c unit that goes on the roof along with support bars. I was going to instal it but i went to ttest it and i noticed it has the 20 amp plug style plug. An d i do not have any plugs in the pup that are like that. I was wondering how hard it would be to install one or a way i can mount the a/c and run the cord to the cg power stand.
    I know the power center is 30 amp and is a magnetek 6415 model.
    The a/c is a coleman tsr not sure of model number currently, but can get a better look later.
    Thanks for any help.a/c

2. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    The majority of the work will be mechanical... installing the support rails, cutting and sealing the big hole in the roof, etc.

If you're confident in dealing with electrical work, installing an outlet is relatively simple... Does your power centre have an unused breaker that can take the load?

If you're not comfortable with doing it yourself, then I'd urge you to find a local electrician to handle that part for you.

But, trust me, it's worth it, to have A/C !

IanP, the cool man from Scotland

3. DarrellM

DarrellM New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Yorktown/Williamsburg Va

4. DarrellM

DarrellM New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Yorktown/Williamsburg Va
    Cutting a hole will not be a problem as there is a vent that i can take off.
    Electrical i can do. As for unused breaker that would be a no go.
    But i also just realized the cg i am at currently on the shore power there are outlets that have the same type plug adapter i can use.
    Also as a side note i am currently living in pop up. In process of getting into a home soon.

5. DarrellM

DarrellM New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Yorktown/Williamsburg Va
  6. jkoelker01

jkoelker01 Member

Jan 24, 2014
    In your converter box, do you see a 20-amp fuse? If so, you could test to see if that outlet in the back of the camper is connected to it by flipping the breaker of the remaining fuses but that 20-amp and if your device you have plugged in stays on then yes you could swap out the outlet for a gfi 20-amp version. If you only have 15 amp fuses then you would need to fix that first before swapping out that outlet.

7. thelmuth

thelmuth Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Brooksville, FL
    The short answer is probably not. You will most likely need to upgrade the wiring going to that receptacle. A 20A circuit calls for 12GA wiring whereas a 15A circuit uses 14GA. I can pretty much guarantee you that the manufacturer did not use heavier gauge wire than is required by the circuit.
    I recommend you add a 20A circuit to your converter box and have a dedicated receptacle for the A/C. The other option is to run a separate, heavy gauge extension cord from the power pole directly to the A/C unit. You can feed it up thru the canvas where the bed pulls out.

8. RetAF

RetAF Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Running an extension cord from the power pole to your A/C is an easy solution. I do it all the time since my "onboard" receptacle places the cord from the A/C in a position where it's in the way when sitting at the dinette. I got a 20 amp extension cord from Amazon.