POLE: Jack for your camper

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by 64osby, Apr 12, 2016.

Do you carry a dedicated jack for your camper? Type or style?

1. Yes - Scissor jack

14.8%
  2. Yes - Hydraulic jack

24.6%
  3. Yes - Floor jack

13.1%
  4. No - rely on jack in tow vehicle

44.3%
  5. Other - please explain

3.3%
  1. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Mar 30, 2015
    By all means use what you feel comfortable with.

As for me I tend to try to use an item that could potentially keep me safe in the manner in which it was designed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2. 64osby

64osby Member

May 11, 2015
    For driveway maintenance I will use a floor jack, trailer hooked to the TV and the other side chocked. Yes I do notice it pulls towards the handle, but the floor jack does roll.

My hydraulic jack is 8" tall and also works great for driveway maintenance. It also has 6" of lift. At some points that is not enough.

The scissor lift has about 10" of functional lift and it is straight up.

I once had a trailer that was supported on 6 jack stands fall and trap me. Good thing I am really skinny, or at least was. [LOL]

No injuries thankfully, but did have a few bruises. Yelled at the top of my lungs for about 20 minutes until my DD heard me. She was in the house 200' away. Now if working under a trailer it gets blocked.

For a flat I'll use the new to me scissor jack.

I'm intrigued by the pole so far. Half of the respondents use their TV jack. It makes me think of trailers I've seen on the highway with a jack under them, but there is no TV.

So are those people driving to get a replacement tire with no jack in the TV. [?:~{]

3. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Most likely...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

4. 64osby

64osby Member

May 11, 2015
    I visited HF the other day a found something interesting about scissor jacks.

While looking at the 1 1/2 to jacks I noticed a label that provided weight ratings at different heights.

The 3000# only applied at 13" and higher. Didn't take a picture but IIRC at 6" it is only rated at 900#. As the scissors get closer the ratings increase.

So if you are lifting a trailer with a 1 1/2 ton jack the more it weighs the higher the scissor should be when starting to lift.

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Okay, I will also use an item that could potentially keep me safe in the manner in which it was designed. I believe that everyone should try to use items that could potentially keep them safe in the manner in which they were designed, in everyday life.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Hey Bondebond...

I know where Searcy, Arkansas is haha...

Hadn't run across you of late... Thought maybe you got too close to one of those Missle Silo's and fell in hehe...

Still kicking here in King George, Virginia. I still mention your hand sewing skills to others wanting to mend up their Awning Bag...

We have retired now and still have the OFF-ROAD POPUP camper... Needing a new battery bank now so trying to find some free GC2 6V batteries somewhere...
    Hope all is still well with you and the family...

Roy Ken