POLL / PETS do you camp with or without them

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by jnc, May 17, 2016.

1. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    I've taken my dog, she's a mini poodle/bichon type thing. She always liked a hike in the woods, but for me, I like to explore and sight see and that's difficult with a pooch. She HATED me when I rented a double inner tube and we floated down a river together in it. She finally curled up for a nap when the trip was almost over. She very old now, on meds, doesn't see very well and sleeps most of the time.

I was in a tent back then; not sure how I feel about leaving her in the PUP while I'm gone.
    What does everyone else do when they leave?

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    IMG_20160809_072215.jpg our camping companion.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Take ours with us... If there is only two of us then one stays in the truck with the dogs while the other does the shopping, washing, sight seeing (if the dogs aren't allowed) or what ever..

4. Cndngrl

Cndngrl New Member

May 22, 2017
    It's a yes and no with me. Mines a 10yr old she mix. When she was younger she always came. But now she's slowing down, and gets car sick easily. So if I'm going someplace fairly close with more of a plan to relax and not do much hiking and sight seeing she comes. That being said I know of 2 trips already this year where she will be staying behind. Those she's going to be staying with my parents. Whom spoil her more than they spoil my kids;) even knowing that I feel guilty for leaving her behind.

5. pennypoppins

pennypoppins Member

Mar 14, 2014
    We have two retired racing Greyhounds and they always go with us. They love the attention they get when we go to walk and people are always amazed how quiet and calm they are at our camp site.

6. Paul R

Paul R Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Richmond, VA
    We have 3 dogs - 2 pugs and a beagle. We always take one of them. They are not barkers just for the sake of barking, but they are all enough security that they will bark to wake me up to get my handgun, if needed.

7. 64osby

64osby Member

May 11, 2015
    Brought our Shepard Collie mix for the first time last weekend. He did great, a few times barking, but he just wants to play. The funniest thing was I set the third seat up for him in the Suburban. He didn't like being back there. He climbed over and sat with the kids. On the way home my DS sat in the third row and let the dog sit up front.

Nice not to have to pay the kennel.

8. upstate family

upstate family Member

Jul 20, 2016
    Central New York
    We don't leave ours in the pup. When we take our boys we don't do anything they can't do with us. Or one of us stay back with them. Most campgrounds don't allow you to leave them alone at the site. And with a pup I don't feel it is secure enough to be safe for them. Even if I took a crate and left them in the pup in a crate I'd worry about them being vulnerable to mean people. Now if I had a different type of camper I'd have no problem with it. My friends have a trailer and their dogs can stay in their safely.

9. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member

Jul 20, 2016
    We have gone both ways, but more often than not, our sweet Sadie dog (a beagle rescue, 7-8 years old) comes with us. At home, she is a fierce defender of our property - she barks all passers-by away. At the camp, she is chill and relaxed, loves hiking and walks, and only really barks when a couple of us head off to go to the bathrooms. Like others, we don't leave her alone in the PUP either. She's either with us on our activities, or we're at the site. No use taking family members with us if they aren't participating!

10. psnider1968

psnider1968 New Member

Nov 17, 2016
    I always camp with our 2 year old pug Otis. He's always on a leash and never barks.

11. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    I have and haven't taken my dog, dependent on which one and at what age.

My first dog was an Irish Settler/Golden Retriever rescue mix who was 12 years old back when I was tent camping. He really didn't care about anything but a shady place to nap all day and suppertime. He made for an excellent companion on camping trips. If I left the campsite to go hiking, he crawled into his kennel and took another nap (back then there weren't rules about that). So, he always got to go along. He's hard to see in this picture, laying under the picnic table.

[​IMG]

My second dog I got as a rescued 2-year old cocker spaniel puppy and he wasn't a good camping dog until he was about 5 or 6 years old. It took a long time to get him past the wanting to chase other dogs and kids phase and to respond to voice commands and to stop the obnoxious barking. The first and only two times out as a puppy he was running all over the place getting his tie-out caught on everything and knocking over chairs and people all while barking for hours on end... a real nightmare! Until he got older I and could bring him along he stayed at home or with a family friend and didn't get to go. As an older and better-trained dog, he got to come along and was well behaved, didn't bark, and would go along on hikes, etc and was a good camping companion. He was also kennel-trained (his "den") and if I put his kennel in the popup I could leave to use the showers or go to the store and he'd be fine. It just took a few years to get to that point.

[​IMG]

My third (and current) dog is another Golden rescue. Unfortunately he has severe anxiety and does not like being either confined in a kennel or just being in unfamiliar places in general, including but not limited to campgrounds. When kenneled he howls as if it's always a full moon. In general, he pants and paces, which causes his tie-out tangled up on everything. So after that first horrific attempt at camping, he now stays at home and my sister takes care of him. We're both much happier that way!

[​IMG]

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Active Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    We took Ol' Roscoe camping for the first time this weekend. My biggest concern was that he would be up and barking in the middle of the night every time a critter came around. In addition, my MIL lives with us and liked having him around when we were gone. But her health took a turn a few weeks ago and she went to her other daughter's home for the weekend so Roscoe came with us.

He loved it!

Lots of new things to smell and trees and such to pee on. He loved lying on the outdoor carpet watching the world go by or napping inside the camper. At night, he found his spot and was down for the count. Not a peep all night. One night I actually had to wake him up to go inside for the night. 20526182_10210125538438111_8782957562440147724_n.jpg

13. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
    [​IMG]

We have only our Abbie now, we lost her sister Copper just before this trip we are currently on.
    Mohawk State Forest, on The Cold River.

Our girl(s) have always camped with us, even before our DS's and the Cheyenne and we just had my two man pack tent for backpacking...Abbie was with us!
    She backpacked My Greylock with us back in '05!!!

14. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Red Wing, MN
    Henry (my 3-1/2 year old pit bull/shepard mix) comes with me on all my trips. He's found his spot in the camper when we are sitting around inside (morning drinking coffee and watching some TV, storm coming through, etc.) - He curls up underneath the front cabinet, out of the way of everyone else (hich is either me alone or me with my 15 year old son)..

[​IMG]