POOP IN THE PUP! (A Truly Crappy Thread)

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by BikeNFish, Dec 14, 2018.

Do you poop in the pup?

1. Absolutlely! That is why I have it!

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Sometimes. Only in an emergency.

24 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. No. Never.

29 vote(s)
    40.8%
  4. What a terrible question.

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Yep. Really. :)

You'll hear/read folks go on about needing to break down the solids and TP. TP will dissolve without help (just stay away from Northern) and the solids just need water in the tank to keep from solidifying to the tank (the poo pyramid). A bit of dish detergent helps against that solidifying and is cheap and always on hand.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It took us some trial and error to find the chemical that works best in the 10 gallon black tank in our TT. Odorlos is what works for our water, body chemistry, and amount of use. Not scented, which is great.
    We usually use Scott RV toilet paper, along with Costco septic safe TP. We now only flush poo-ed paper, other paper and wipes get tossed in the wastebasket and into the dumpster. We used that routine & an absolute minimum of water, the first time when we were trying to eke out 10 nights on that 10 gallon tank. It worked well, so we continue to follow it. I think we get away with using a minimum of water on those longer trips because we dump and rinse ASAP, and usually have a good long drive to agitate it all before we get to a dump station. (On shorter trips, we try to gauge it so we end up with full tanks at the end of the trip, if we have water hookups it's easier to do that. This year, we also filled the tanks with mostly fresh water once we got home, after we had a less-than-an-efficient dump angle at the end of a trip. that worked so well that we decided we probably should try to do a fill with fresh water and dump once a season or so.)

3. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

It's just warm enough so it will not freeze upon exit [LOL][LOL][LOL]

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Whole reason I bought the TT that we have is that it has a “full” bathroom. There’s a door, a window and an overhead vent with fan. If the need arises it gets used. Having said that, I’m pretty regular so CG facilities are option #1.

5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I just cleaned out the Thedford cassette portable tank no poop in there!

6. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

We don't have a toilet, and we are used to tenting, so a bathhouse is no big deal. That said, my 3 year old is just beginning to potty train so his potty making the trip with us is a strong possibility.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

I paid enough for the beast I'm going to use everything in it. I haven't had a problem with the 12 gallon black tank. Though the first trip it did get a little...odoriferous on the last night (#5) & morning. Dumping the grey though was a PITA. 1.5" instead of 3". That's been remedied with some adapters.

8. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

My son uses the porta potty all the time. I’ve only had to use it for #2 once myself, but had no issues with it at all. So my first choice is the bathhouse, but I’ll have no hesitation to use the porta potty if need be. I’m personally a fan of good chemicals and RV TP. Only once have I still had any solids when dumping, be it TP or otherwise, even after just a short weekend. And that one time was because it was used shortly before dumping. I don’t think it would clog, just make it less pleasant to dump.

Since it’s usually just my son and I camping, from the time he goes to bed till he wakes up I’m pretty much tied to the campsite so the porta potty has been a life saver, especially when on the inside of the loop and not backing up to the woods.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The problem with kids , even potty trained ones is when we pass the facilities and i ask do you have to go, i get no. As soon as were back at the camp sight, or in bed, they have to go. So the toilet is a god send. Not to mention if you have a few beers, its so much easier then walking.......

Orchid, Rusty2192 and neighbormike like this.
  10. kitphantom

@Sjm9911 - maybe that's an opportunity to teach "camper's rules" - if there's a restroom, use it whether you think you need to or not.
    The related rule is "see a gas station, fill it up". (Usually only enforced when we're at half a tank, but sometimes sooner, depending on where we are.)

11. Sjm9911

Lol, try telling that to a 7 yo. 6 at the time.

12. kitphantom

I don't have kids, but my parents taught me that when they took me traveling every summer. I started traveling when I was 6 months old, so I do't remember the first lessons. (I do remember my potty chair in the back of the car when I was about 3.)

13. Sjm9911

It goes like this , i say, go to the bathroom before we leave, its a long drive. As soon as i hit the highway, about 15 minutes later, i get, daddy i have to go potty. I said why didnt you go when we were home. Answer, because i didnt have to then.

14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

My Mom told me once "i'm sorry I got mad at you when you suddenly had to go to the bathroom when we got on the road".

When she got older, she found that she would suddenly have to go to the bathroom fifteen minutes into the trip.

I was nice, I never said "why didn't you go before we left".

Remember that kids' and old folks' bladders don't hold as much or as well as "young adult" bladders. There may be absolutely no water in the bladder at 10 am, but 15 minutes later it is suddenly full. And when their bladders are full, they need to empty RIGHT THEN. Be nice a remember everything comes back around.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Halford

excuse me off to restroom

Sjm9911, Toedtoes and neighbormike like this.
  16. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

You should have gone before you logged on! [LOL]

17. Halford

wont be long before I say this to you! [Guitar]

18. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Trust me, I know! Night time "trips" are no stranger... Potty in the tt seems like more a necessity than luxury! That being said, I have always made things work... a big part of me still misses tenting! I like to think the way I camp hasn't changed since I was 16 - I just sleep in something different.

PointyCamper likes this.
  19. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

Okay, I'll add my story and vote to this old thread. I have a Porta-pottie in my Popup. I'd use it for both if I had to. But mostly I have to get up a couple times a night just to urinate. At my age it is a fact of older life. Most of the time I'm boondocking it and there is not another soul around for miles. That when I will just dig a deep hole in the ground and let her rip.

20. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

#2 isn't forbidden so I'm sure someone will at some point. I empty the tank, but the rule is if you poop in it you empty and clean it. So far everyone has gone somewhere other than the PUP toilet.