Pop up gizmos question

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by mpotapa, Apr 10, 2016.

1. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    So I am about to add Velcro to my camper so I can attach my pop up gizmos to them. Here is a picture of where I plan to attach it to.

[​IMG]

My question is should I use screws or staples? I was thinking of getting short screws with a really flat head and screw into that wood in my picture. Anyone know how think that wood would be? I obviously don't want to go through the camper with my screw. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I would suggest using staples to reinforce the Velcro to the backside of the lid. That's what I did 5 years ago and it's still holding strong.

Note: the two screws you see in the center are part of the camper's original lid.

3. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Did you use 1 or 2" wide Velcro? And how long of staples did you use

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We used staples, and they were in need of replacing about the time we sold the pup. While we didn't always remove the PUGs, we did often enough that the staples started to pull out after a couple of seasons.
    I think we had planned to staple them again.

5. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    How long of staples did you use? I feel screws might be stronger and last longer

6. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    I used 2" wide "Industrial Strength" Velcro and screws. However, instead of wood in my roof it has a foam material, so screws would hold better. The screws we used were one of the Teks brand self drilling lath screws. I used them because they had a larger and flatter head than the others I had, and I already had them from another project on the camper.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I used 2" wide industrial strength Velcro. Can't remember what size staples. You need to make that call yourself as the lid thickness varies on the make and model of campers.

If you're going to use screws, put washers on too.

See http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=44735 for how to put on the PUG when using Velcro.

8. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I decided to staple it. I got the adhesive Velcro, helped me keep it in place while I stapled it up. Thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk