Pop-up set-up challenge!

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Alan, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    That's making good use of your time! We've found that cleaning it up, loading things into the truck and getting ready for the trip home take us a couple of hours. Once at home though, all we do is back it into the yard and close the gate. Put the kayaks away, then park the truck in the garage and unload clothes and any left over food. When we leave the campground the camper is ready for the next trip.

2. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV

There's nothing like good neighbors when camping!

3. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    Setting up is something I enjoy so I take my time. Sometimes it can take me hours (usually beer is involved) but most of the time I get it done in 30 min. That's complete outside kitchen, awning up, rug down chairs out, lights strung and welcome sign hung.Tear down takes longer as I bring way to much stuff and it has to be packed just right to fit in the Pup.

Dback2k4 and JPBar like this.
  4. Fischymom

Fischymom Member

Jul 28, 2017
    As I have only done it 1X on my own and 1X with my son I am slow, about 20 minutes for basic setup. But now I think I could do it faster than that. Since I have a scope of what has to be done. Park, level, brace, beds, kitchen,awning if wanted.

5. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Well, I'm loaded for bear every time we head out. Its usually a multi-family ordeal, so I pack darn near everything I can think of because we head out to the middle of nowhere. Just got back from our annual family reunion campout and I can tell you that I'm nowhere near as fast as the rest of you. Maybe its because I'm too fat/slow/old, maybe its because I pack too much. Don't care either way. It is what it is, and if it makes mama more comfortable, then I'm a much happier camper! Took me 3 days to get the entire moving convoy packed, at least an hour to get it unpacked and set up. But, I have a toyhauler Baja, so the ATV, kayak, and paddleboard have to come off first. Then I wire up the solar system before cranking up the roof. After that, there's the outside shower, pop-up shelter, camp kitchen that rivals my gourmet kitchen at home, reclining camp chairs, chain saws/axes.......the list goes on and on. Mama says we work so hard and spend so much to pretend to be homeless for a week. Oh well

6. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    We are bare-boned campers here is our plan Arrive at campground find a spot pay up for that go back to the spot, run it up on blocks, unhook, leval, get out our 2 chairs. the tt is an A-Liner so it takes under a min to set it up.

when we get back to the house very little is taken out of the tt so we are ready for the next journey!!

7. Whatevs

Whatevs Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Eastern Ontario
    Phew. I thought I was doing it wrong until I saw this. We take 60-90 minutes to do physical setup including tent room, awning, leveling, stabilizing, erecting and bunk ends, mat etc. before my wife moves inside and takes over with making the camper livable.

8. StageLover

StageLover Member

May 20, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I thought about timing it one time but found that our method did not make for good timing, unless you use a calendar that is. We drive up to the site and scope out the general area for the pup. Then Dar usually gets out and I aim at her as I back in. Then I get out and we crack a bevvy and have a smoke while we decide where we will want the door and I check on the location of the services. A bit of negotiation may then follow so that we are both happy. At this point, a trip to the washroom might be required. Now we can level and disconnect which is trivial. Some more bevvy sipping is followed by raising the roof and doing the slides. Some more bevvy sipping and I am ready to set up the stabilization jacks. Now that we are stable, some more bevvy sipping and Dar goes inside and I station at the door. Dar hands out the table, BBQ and stove for the outdoor kitchen and I stage them. Ditto with the chairs and fire-pit. Finally, out come the shore power cable and the hose and I repair to the other side to hook them up while Dar continues getting the inside in order: kitchen unit raised, sleeping bags on bed, etc. Uh oh, time for another smoke and more bevvy while we discuss how much of the kitchen needs to be set up. Depending on the menu, I may use only the BBQ or stove or I might need everything. Dar digs out the propane hoses and hands them to me and I begin the kitchen setup. This activity can occupy all the time left before dinner as bevvy breaks are often required. In reality, the kitchen is about a 5-10 minute setup. The final step in kitchen setup is getting the pantry ready for use. This involves opening the rear hatch of the TV so that the coolers and dry storage are accessible. Total elapsed time can be anywhere from half hour to several hours depending on bevvy breaks, walks around the campground or trips to the beach or pool etc. However, we have had neighbors comment on how quickly we have gotten set up so it can't be that bad.

Alan, momofEAP and neighbormike like this.
  9. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    Are you sort of happy after all that bevey?

10. StageLover

StageLover Member

May 20, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Most of my bevvy is of the non-alkie kind but Dar, well, she's a Bud girl![REDC][:D]

bob barnes likes this.
  11. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I was trying to figure out why this had somehow become a competitive sport.. :D

12. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    I certainly don't see any of the comments as being compeititve but I guess I don't know much!!!

Alan likes this.
  13. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    funny to each his own!!!

14. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Member

Aug 9, 2011
    North Dakota
    The only reason I ever checked how long for setup is the comments from TT owners about "it must take a long time to set up" and in some cases we are faster then a TT owner probably because they bring much more then we bring or need. For us camping should be enjoyable not a major event. If i wanted that I would stay at work and get paid. LOL just saying

bob barnes likes this.
  15. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

This is an old thread, but I thought I would share. I know we bring to much stuff, but we only seem to get one major outing a year, so we like to be comfortable. I would say it probably takes us about half an hour to get to the point where we can sit down and start thinking about supper, but that is because most of our gear is stowed in the trailer and needs to get unloaded - kitchen table, chairs, portable stoves, BBQ etc - and we have an EZ-Up that goes over the picnic table. Not to mention that my backing in is somewhat meticulous - slow - and we do take our time, we are there to relax not set any world land speed records.

16. rbwatson3

rbwatson3 New Member

Wednesday
    Illinois
    I'm thinking...why time myself? I'm camping to RELAX :)

bob barnes likes this.
  17. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I don't think this thread started out as a competition but when it takes me about 10 minutes to set up and some people with a popup say it takes 3 hours I have to scratch my head.

Orchid, bob barnes and Alan like this.
  18. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Amen JBirdT2001! Amen.

19. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    We may consume a beer or hard cider from time to time but at night we sip a nice Extra Smooth EJ Brandy accompanied by roasted marshmallows! mmm mmmm good!

20. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    The parameter "set up" is rather broad and undefined, i.e. what do you consider "set up"? There are a lot of variables that could be included (or excluded) in determining that time. For me, it's not a race - I'd rather take my time and enjoy it rather than be under some self-imposed rush to get it done as fast as I can.

Last weekend, I furtively watched our incoming neighbor spend 20-25 minutes maneuvering his Chalet A-frame on the pad to get it level without breaking out blocking/levelers.

Dback2k4 likes this.