Pop ups and security.

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by Sjm9911, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok folks. I was just thinking on this for a bit. Usally , it never even enters my mind but some say at disney people take stuff that isnt theres. I will never leave valuables in the camper as a rule. And atually found some neet places to hide stuff in my tv. But i would be pissed if someone tossed my pup looking for stuff. So, here is the idea! What about one of those battery powered door alarms that goes off when the doors open? I just ordered one with a remote. Will probably scare someone off. Anyone try this ? Thoughts?

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

They didn't break into my travel trailer instead took the trailer and everything that was in it.

3. Sjm9911

That sucks. Where was it? I might get the hitch lock, if i dont allready have one somewhere.

4. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

Despite my trailer being small enough to fit in a long bed pickup....I also use a hitch lock. A worth while investment to keep the honest people honest. Besides that everything that can be locked....is locked...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My OFF-ROAD POPUP door has a Velcro seam when I am setup for camping... My door has a keyed lock but all one has to do is slide their hand into the VELCRO seam area and the door and unlock from the inside. When I go get groceries it is easier for me to gain access to my popup doing this then sitting down the bags and fumble around for keys hehe...

With all of this in mind I never leave anything of value in the POPUP. All of the important things to me are left in my locked truck...

Actually I haven't had a break-in ever into my trailer that I purchased in Late 2008.

I think not advertising any of my important item seems to work for me...

My 2KW Honda Generator is stowed secure in my tailgate corner of my truck bed that has the hard panel folding bed cover which is key locked...

I though one time my high dollar fluke multimeter got stolen as I could not find it in my stuff when I got home from one trip... I was camping about 25 miles away from home base so I went back the next morning and found my Fluke Meter sitting on a tree stump behind my camping spot just where I left it haha...

I think you will find most all of the other campers will be very honest and lookout for other campers... Certainly is what I do when around other campers...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Just like a car alarm - everyone will ignore it and just be really annoyed at all the racket it's making. ;)

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Sjm9911

But it might do to scare off someone. Unlike a car alarm it would be unexpected.

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel better, do it.

I think you'd be fine without it though. Just keep stuff out of sight. The chances of them picking your pup over the hundreds of RV's and tents there is pretty low.

9. Sjm9911

That is a very good point. Lol. My 20 year old pop up probably isnt as inviting as a nice new RV.........

10. GreyFox

I suspect you're imagining a problem that isn't. Hundreds and hundreds of nights camping over 20 yrs here and in many places in the US I've never had anyone bother with my camper.

11. Sjm9911

No , unfortunately a few campers have reported attempted break ins in there campers at Disney, along with some stuff stolen. So , imagination is not the issue. I do imagine its not widespread, but i can definitely see it happening. Especially when most people are away feom the campers and at the parks for the day.

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Those door alarms aren't expensive. It's not going to increase your risk of theft, so go for it. Hopefully it will never go off. But if it does, then it might run off the person.

I've never had a problem during my years of camping, but I think places like Disney are different that the average NFS campground.

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My camper has a stepper door. If I leave camp for an extended period of time I’m able to put the stepper door up in front of the one piece door. May not be able to stop someone but can slow them down. The only thing I’ve ever seen stolen were coolers at campgrounds. 9 out of 10 it’s someone looking for beer. I’ve never been to ft wilderness though.

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. GreyFox

Pretty simple solution - don't leave anything of value in your camper, then Mickey and his cohort Minnie can't steal what isn't there. [:O)]

15. GreyFox

I initially thought so too with our Santa Fe but then realized that raising the stepper door up into the travel position just advertised that no one was inside the camper at all. :tongue:

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Good point but would stop the nosey kids. At least where I camp people are going to know I'm not there anyway just by the fact my vehicle is gone. However you probably won't be driving much when your there I bet.

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Ours doesn't have a key lock, but we do the same thing as to undo the velcro to lock and unlock the door. We call this a "Redneck security lock" [LOL]

18. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

19. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Belchfire,
    That is just nastly!!!!! [:(O]

20. GreyFox

Years ago we were camping with our hybrid and I had gone out for awhile in the truck. My wife was taking a nap so I didn't bother locking the door, just closed the screen door and left. Awhile later my wife had this odd feeling someone was there and rolled over in bed to find the five year old from the adjacent campsite standing there in the camper staring at her. Kid didn't mean any harm but boy was she surprised! [:O]

We all camp differently - we use our truck quite a bit while camping, going to the beach, to buy firewood, go to the camp store, or explore the surrounding area. There wouldn't be day when we wouldn't be out somewhere.

Rik Peery likes this.