Pop-ups brands for the solo traveler?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by LorrieJM, Jun 13, 2018.

1. LorrieJM

LorrieJM New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Memphis, TN
    We are on the lookout for our first pop-up and I plan to camp solo in it. I’m 5’3” but fairly strong. Are there manufacturers or styles you’d recommend? We love the Livin’ Lite Quicksilver but the beds would be hard to set up solo.

P.S we are looking at a new TV so for now don’t worry about the size of the pop-up as we are still brainstorming how much we want to tow!

Thanks!

2. ProbablyNotLostWanderer

ProbablyNotLostWanderer New Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    Have you thought about A-frame campers? We have an Aliner, and it's very easy for one person to set up. There's several youtube videos showing that.

We have the Aliner Classic, and camp with two adults, two (little) kids, and (generally) a dog. We love ours, but it would be a lot more spacious with only one or two people.

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would like the Sylvan for Solo trips if I could put the 4wheeler on it.
    [​IMG]

4. LorrieJM

LorrieJM New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks! It’s 3 of us (one being a teenager) and a toilet and AC are musts. I like Aliners but want more space. 10 or perhaps 8 foot pop-up I think. But I appreciate both ideas!

5. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Active Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    First you say you're going solo and now you say you'll have a teenager to help setup?? Sounds like any of the smaller PUPS ought to work. You buying new or used?

Orchid likes this.
  6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I think people were thrown off by your title being for "solo traveler."

Practically any pop up can be set up by one person, and just about any brand makes models that are suitable for three people.

Are you looking for new or used?

7. Orchid

Haha, Jinx! [LOL]

Dan from Troup likes this.
  8. LorrieJM

LorrieJM New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Memphis, TN
    Sorry to confuse Some trips will be by myself as I hike with groups on weekends. When my family is with me, that includes a teenager so beds for 3 are impt if not used all the time. So a solo traveler-friendly set up is key. Buying used.

The Aliner is an interesting idea. We looked at one years ago but only had a Forester. AC is a must being in the south. We are looking to upgrade to mid-sized truck so we can look again at the Aliner. Thanks for that helpful comment.

9. LorrieJM

LorrieJM New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Memphis, TN
    The teenager is 4’10” BTW. Set up help...not so much.

10. Orchid

You really don't need height to set up a pop up. Not sure about an A-liner. I know to set up and break down a hybrid requires some height. I am 5' 6" and can't do my daughter's without a ladder.

As far as a standard pop up, my 9 year old grandson can do most of it and he's not that tall. The only thing he has trouble with is starting the pull out on the king sized bunk. He can do it alone if he starts off standing on the hitch, but it's much easier for one of us to get it started. Once it's out a few feet, grandson can pull it out the rest of the way and put in supports.

The most difficult part for me (originally) was lifting the swing galley on the inside. Come to find out, it wasn't supported properly. Once my husband replaced the wood and supports, I can do it now, even with the cabinets and drawer full. It IS heavy, and I have lost a lot of my strength over the years, but I can do it alone now. I imagine it's much easier on new models.

11. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I have a Aliner, my mom is 5'3" and can set it up in 30 seconds. Mine is a older one so no electric or hydraulic assist.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I often camp alone and have one of the larger pop-ups. It takes a little work and muscle but every popup is possible. If you don't have very strong finger/upperbody strength putting the shepherd poles in may be difficult. Same as lifting the gally on some units. Otherwise for an abled body individual its doable. Though to be honest when I bought my camper I had to work out a bit more to build my upper body strength over the winter break as that gally was quite heavy on my unit. I do have to take short breaks when doing the cranking so as long as it isn't raining I'm not in a big rush. Then again, I'm in fairly good shape.

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    .My niece has become a pro at nearly all steps herself. The shepherd poles give her problems though. I also need to start the lift of the gally for her. Her problem is she is too easily distracted so keeping her on task is much more difficult.

Orchid likes this.
  14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would think any pup with 2 bunks ends would be suitable for 3.

15. LorrieJM

LorrieJM New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Memphis, TN
    All good info!

16. ProbablyNotLostWanderer

Jun 1, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    If you are still considering Aliners, I can say that we went camping in East Texas this past weekend, and it was hot and humid, and the little ac unit we have kept it cool inside - we actually had to turn it to a less-high setting a couple times that first night because we were too cool. Ours has a bed for two on one end, and the space for a twin bed for one on the other end. There's definitely not a lot of walking around floor space with both beds set up though. Since our kids are small, we just give them each a dinette bunk and make up a bed on that for them.

LorrieJM likes this.
  17. LorrieJM

LorrieJM New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Memphis, TN
    I’d love to hear more about your Aliner. New/used? Which model? What would you have done differently or what are you glad you did when you bought it?

18. ProbablyNotLostWanderer

Jun 1, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    We bought ours off Craigslist three years ago, knowing absolutely nothing about any kind of rv at all. It's an '06 Aliner Classic, and I really love it. We were living in CO and wanted a non-canvas (we've camped in snow several times with it) camper that we could store easily in our garage. Between some health issues for us, and then an inter-state move, we didn't get to use it as much as we wanted, but we're starting to get into the swing of things now. (Except we broke part of it putting it into our garage last weekend, but that's a story for another thread. :) )

It's pretty snug with me, my husband, the 5yo, the 3yo, and the dog, but since we're not stuffing a pack n play in it any more, it feels positively palatial! We spend most of our time outside anyways, and I love how easy it is to set up. You have to be careful with organization and not bringing too much, but I think that's true for any kind of pop up. We had to replace the converter, but other than that, we haven't really done any mods or upgrades on it. It came with a furnace, ac, microwave, and sink, but no toilet/shower. We pretty much used it as a tent with a furnace when we lived in CO, and since moving to TX we've now tested the AC. Haven't even de-winterized the water system yet, but we're thinking about it. As we get more comfortable with the whole rv-ing thing, we're slowly using more of its systems.

This is what it looks like inside when we have it set up. The first pic makes it look bigger than it is - keep in mind each "bunk" is about three feet-ish. We took out the dinette table that went between them and just keep it in our garage.

IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG

So... wrote way more than I meant to! TL;DR - we love it, and it's been a good fit for our family, especially with the rigid walls in CO winter weather and TX summer weather. It stays warm/cool as needed. It's super easy to tow, and set up/tear down. Ideally, I'd like a toilet, but it's kind of nice not having to mess with black or grey water right now.

Sorry I went so long! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here or PM me. :)

sawdusty likes this.
  19. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Active Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Marvelous minds think alike.

20. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If I were truly camping (mostly) solo I'd probably want an A-liner.

For 3, I'd probably want a 10' box camper, which is what we have now with 4. 8' box would work but IMHO is just awfully small and the setup/towing advantages over a 10' are minimal.

We bought our camper when my boys were 6 and 9 and they've been helping set up since that time. A teenager (even a short one) should be able to set it up by themselves if necessary.