Popped canvas seams

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Nottley, May 14, 2015.

1. Nottley

Nottley New Member

Apr 28, 2015
    1st time tent trailer owner. 1997 Coleman Niagara
    Between the ceiling & wall on both bunks of our newly purchased trailer a seam has popped open. Previous owners tried to use some kind of tape that has left a nasty stick residue on the canvas. I planned on using Loctite Vinyl, Fabric & Plastic flexible adhesive sparingly to put the seams back together then hand sew to ensure a good seal with some UV upholstery thread. I have tried to find something on here but couldn't. Is this sound thinking or is 1 of these a no-no??
    You can see 1 of the seams in the attached pic. That one is the worst about 2' long.

Attached Files:

2. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Apr 24, 2011
    Ocala,FL
    Wow wonder how that happened?? If there is enough material to sew with and you are good at it that would be the cheapest way to go for sure. There are kits that you can buy to repair seams.

3. Nottley

Nottley New Member

Apr 28, 2015
    It really looks like the thread just broke. All the binding is intact. Going to pull it into the garage so I can pop it up enough to slide the beds out and put the seams back together then let them dry for the full 24hrs undisturbed before I put tension on the seams again. Then we will camp in the driveway on a rainy day to put it to the test before we go away.

4. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Jul 10, 2012
  5. Tasmin

Tasmin New Member

Sep 15, 2016
  6. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Get the Speedy Stitcher. Glue and tape are "emergency repair" items. We had a small separation like that on our canvas and the wife used her sewing skills to re-do it with upholstery needles. It was tough work for her going through all the layers. I picked up a Speedy Stitcher on Amazon to do some other repairs to the canvas that aren't as pressing to get done but will be equally difficult because of the material being sewn.