Popularity Poll

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Unstable_Tripod, Aug 29, 2011.

1. dnb

dnb 1996/97 Coleman Yukon -- PacNW

Feb 18, 2016
    Been there, and want o go back again sometime. Southern Utah.

I have traveled most of the US by car with and without a camper. there are incredible places to be and see, but Southern Utah topped my list.

Following it would be (in no particular order):

--Almost all of Colorado
    --Tetons & Yellowstone (off season please!)
    --North Carolina Coast/ Outer Banks
    --Florida Gulf Coast
    --Much of California especially the ocean beaches, Yosemite, and Whiskeytown
    --Almost any New Mexico State Park, Taos, Santa Fe
    --Northern Idaho from CdA up to the border, especially Priest Lake
    --The Oregon Coast

2. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Love the question, its why I got the pop-up!
    I haven't had a proper vacation in a few years so I was going to treat myself with a good one. I LOVE the US rockies and have heard that the Canadian side might be better (heard the same about Niagra falls too). So the planning began. Banff and Jasper here I come... not. After getting the time off, figuring airfare and $$lodging$$ it became apparent that it would be very, very expensive. [:(]

The weekend after I gave up on going to Canada, I decided to stop looking at CL pop up ads and start looking at the real thing, I ended up buying the first one I looked at. So with $2200 invested in the pup and about $300 in accessories (so far lol) I have a ways to go before I hit the estimated $5000 I could have spent on my Canadian adventure and I hope to have years of camping adventures ahead and maybe someday camp the Canadian Rockies. Now I need to figure out where to venture first. I'm near Chicago so any ideas/tips are welcome :)

3. Molly T

Molly T New Member

Oct 28, 2014
    I live on the Gulf Coast, in AL, so FL is just a little drive away. St. Andrews state park in Panama City, FL is the best I have seen!! It is on the water, has jetties to snorkel, or dive, fishing, boating, any water sports can be found there. Rentals are available. the campground has a store, boat ramps, hiking trails, swimming, beach, picnic areas, pier, a small lake with gators in it, deer, fox, birds. Great campsite hookups, and bathhouses. Very close to town, shopping, etc... The down side is if you want waterfront campsite where you can anchor your boat and just walk out to it from your campsite in the mornings , you have to book about a year in advance for a summer month. It is a wonderful beach front campground!!

There are several state parks , with lakes, in MS, AL and FL that I plan to check out before I retire. When retirement comes ( hopefully within a year) I hope to head out and hit the road going west to camp along the way. When I did a road trip out to CA coast I saw so many state parks that I want to go camp in.... and I am sure there are many along the way!! Grand Canyon , of course, is on my list, any suggestions for TX, New mexico, NV, or AZ?

4. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Southern Utah (Bryce, Zion, Arches, etc...), and North Rim of Grand Canyon.
    Also Redwoods in Northern California. (Love those big trees on the coast)

5. hayyward

hayyward Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Canadian Rockies - Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise. They've got moose! I've researched CGs there and got to the part about "bare camping" and it gave me pause. One CG has "softsiders" camped inside an electric fence!

6. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Without a doubt and with no hesitation .... Alaska.

I've wanted to visit Alaska ever since I was a kid. I've been to all the national parks in the lower 48 at different points in my life. Alaska is somewhere I've never been.

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Oct 1, 2014
    I love that there are a few folks that what to camp here in New England. I will tell you that it is a wonderful place to camp anytime of the year and I hope you get your chance soon. The best part of this is I want to camp in the woods just as much. If money was not a problem I would visit every inch of this continent.

9. DSchulten88

DSchulten88 Member

Sep 20, 2016
    The Olympic Peninsula is high on my list.

Been doing the Rocky Mountain thing all my life, it would be nice to see massive moss covered trees and a billion shades of green.

10. Arruba

Arruba Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Ok, I've lurked way more than commented, so here goes:

The Dempster Highway all the way to Tuktoyaktuk. My uncle worked on the very south end of it in the 1970's. As a kid we took what's probably the biggest trip of my fathers non-military life in his old Caveman Cabover camper to visit. Always wanted to go back as an adult tourist.

The Colorado Rockies

US Hwy 101 all the way to the US/Mexican Border

New England in the fall

The Musselshell country in Montana

11. Camp-or

Camp-or New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Currently top of my list would be taking my wife and family to Yellowstone. I camped there once as a kid of about 12 or so and would like to go back for sure. I'd also like to see Mt. Rushmore and Glacier NP, so maybe a combo trip of all three could be arranged. That'd be a long time to spend in a PUP though, at least with a 2 year old so that'll probably have to wait.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

It is suicidal to drive on Hwy 101 in California... PCH 1 would be much better.

13. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Stealing this one.

-- L'ance Aux Meadows Newfoundland, the site of the only confirmed viking settlement in North America. I know, there are supposedly others, but this is the only one there is no denying.

I am due to go visit my Cousin in PIE next summer, I might have to drive it and make this a stop.

14. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Oct 9, 2015
    I think suicidal is a little strong. :)

I drive sections of it north of San Francisco to Ft. Bragg and I would not call it fun on the curvy hills, but so long as one is towing properly, wouldn't call it suicidal. Are there worse areas then that section?

15. Doctorphate

Doctorphate New Member

Sep 26, 2016
    If you're up to it(and equipped for it) I highly recommend taking the trans Labrador highway. I recommend late july/august to avoid snow on the ground.

My favourite place to camp is Oka, Quebec. For a camp ground anyway.

For total, backcountry included? Swisha loop. Not my picture but I camped here and it was amazing.
    [​IMG]

16. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

It is in Santa Barbara county and Ventura County... ALWAYS have traffic for NO REASON except the drivers aren't good drivers!

17. Katskamper

Katskamper New Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Grand Canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    Our favorite is the Black Hills of SD, we like to camp in the Custer Area, a great choice of campgrounds from rustic to resort, just depends on what your pocket book will support. Lots to see and do, observing wild life, hiking and biking on the Mickelson trail, Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave NP, Deadwood and so much more. Something about the Hills keeps drawing us back again and again.

19. Osprey92

Osprey92 New Member

Jun 2, 2016
    We love the beach, and live at the beach in North Florida and still camp by beaches!
    Would love to go back to the Grand Canyon and take the kids, they didn't exist last time. [:D] Have camped in the Smoky Mountains - beautiful! But both times I could not see, hear or smell the ocean that I grew up with and I was a total wreck!
    I'll stick to the coasts!

20. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

May 10, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Being from Reno I have enjoyed lots and lots of camping in the Eastern Sierras. There are still so many places out here to still discover. When I get a newer TV and some extra extra time off work I would like to spend a couple of weeks camping along the coast of Northern California and Southern Oregon.