Popup Gizmo instillation

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by cssweeney, Aug 18, 2012.

1. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Well I got my PUG for my bunkends. My questions is I want to use Velcro for easy instillation, do I do the full length of the bunk or attach 2 or 3 pieces?

2. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Come on I know the answer is out there [:D]

3. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

Aug 16, 2009
    East Texas
    I don't use the Velcro on mine but I think three pieces would do just fine.

4. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Dec 20, 2011
    I am going to use a full length of Velcro on the inside of the camper roof edge, then the matching piece of Velcro on tho top edge of the PUG. That's my plan anyway, would also like to hear from some others who have done this.

5. mandl

mandl Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I use the full length, works like a charm. I keep it place all the time, it has never hindered any roof function. My gizmos have withstood 90 mph winds and stayed on the Pup.

mandl

6. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Jun 24, 2008
    I used 3 3" pieces on each Gizmo for my '08 Niagara.

The hook piece is on the roof and I sewed the loop pieces to both sides of the Gizmo.

During the summer we put the shiny side up, in cooler weather we put the shiny side down.

As we raise the roof, we stop when the roof is up about 1 foot and attach them to the roof. We also pull out the awning and install the gutter to channel condensate to the corner of the roof at this point. Its all easy to reach.

We use them every time we camp, as they also protect the bunk end top from sap, UV and bird droppings.

Hope this hleps,
    JR

7. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Popup Gizmo instillation

I use 5 pieces across the width. They hold fine.

8. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

Jun 26, 2012
    What strength of Velcro do you all use? Industrial or regular?

9. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Sep 16, 2011
    I use 3 pieces of industrial strength Velcro, about 4" long. Holds just fine for me. :)

Campit

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We originally used 3 pieces of self-stick, we should have known better, we have not had good luck with any of the self-stick we've tried. When the adhesive pulled away, we ended up going with the full length of standard strength Velcro. We stapled it to the inside of the roof and sewed it on the PUGs. That has worked well. While we usually leave the PUGs on the bunks when we close it up, the full length of Velcro makes it easier for me to attach them if we do take them off, I don't have to line up the smaller pieces.

11. Smith5

Smith5 New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Someone had posted a picture of how they did it. May take a little researching though.

12. General Beluga

General Beluga Member

Aug 23, 2010
    I don't use anything. I just pull out the bunk ends, lay the gizmo over the top of the vinyl and clip each side up under the edge of the roof onto the canvas seam on each side while pulling it taunt. Then when I deploy the shepherds polls the canvas holds the gizmo up tight against the inside of the roof edge without any other support needed even in high winds.

Hawkester likes this.
  13. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    On our previous pup, the Gizmo was secure under the roof edge. Not so with the Cobalt. The Velcro also makes it possible for us to easily leave the PUGs on the bunk ends all the time, now that we figured out we have enough clearance for them to fit when the tenting folds in. We got the super-high wind version this time, and this mod makes it easy to attach the shock cords:
    [​IMG]
    newest PUGs mod by kitphantom, on Flickr

I don't have a pic of the Velcro, if no one posts one I'll get one when I open the pup this week.

14. drhuggybear

drhuggybear Member

Feb 26, 2012
    I did the entire lenth of mine. It only takes a mintue or so to hook up and because of how much is there if it is windy I don't have to rush to get it anchored down.

I would reccomend the whole thing due to the consistant seal for water and runoff. A couple of pieces could cause some channels or pockets to build and allow you to end up gathering water on your gizmos.

15. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Another question, in the summer do you use the silver side up and in the winter do you use the silver side down?

16. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Sep 16, 2011
    it's my understanding that it doesn't matter which side you use, I might be wrong. If I am, someone will correct me. But I use the green side up just because it's the same shade of green as on my camper. :)

Campit

17. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    According to the PUGs website, they do not need to be flipped for winter, here's what they say: ". Please note, you do not need to flip the covers (silver side down) to reduce heat loss. We recommend the silver side of the covers be place outward for winter camping as well as summer camping."

18. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Sep 16, 2011
    Well, I stand corrected. I guess I'll have to flip the PUGS to the silver side up. Darn it! [:(]

Campit

19. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Thanks for all your responses. One more questions, did you use 1" or the 2" wide Velcro. I have found that the 2" is the only one that comes in long length that is industrial strength. Thanks again....

20. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Sep 16, 2011
    I believe it was the 2". Can't get to PU right now to check, sorry. [:(] But when I do, I'll let you know. :)

Campit