Popup vs Snowplow - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Dback2k4, Feb 20, 2019.

What would YOU do?

1. Try the MEK repair

41.7%
  2. Build a custom box

25.0%
  3. Hit the classifieds for a new pup

33.3%
  1. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Their sales people are definitely very dron-ish, ha ha. They had some pictures of mine online at least, and when I called to talk to someone the kid obviously knew nothing about pop-ups. I did like that he took some video for me and zoomed in on a couple specific things I was looking for. Finance manager was almost as clueless, he's the one who wound up messing up most of the paperwork and this was a cash deal! Part of the problem seems to be on the previous owner's bank, they didn't sign the lien release on the title correctly and the lien release they gave CW is a photocopy and DMV requires the original.... I'm now dealing with an office person at CW who processes all of their DMV stuff so she at least kinda knows what she's talking about.
    Anyway, I detailed the whole buying experience on another thread if you want to compare notes...
    http://popupportal.com/threads/new-to-me-2007-rockwood-2514g.122755/#post-1260469

2. sleazy rider

sleazy rider New Member

Well, got my title overnighted after trying to contact my salesman, the sales manager and their title clerk. Voice mails at all three, but no calls back. Magically, a delivery from them showed up in my fedex tracking app a day later. If I ever buy another camper, I can tell you who it won't be from.

3. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Well, unfortunately this saga has taken another ugly turn.

After the initial call where the landlord admitted fault and said they'd pay for damage, and after I got the damage estimates to prove the unit was totalled and sold the old one for scrap, I gave the landlord the remainder owed which was NADA "average" book value minus what I got out of it from the salvage sale on CraigsList. Yesterday, she informed me that since the camper wasn't specifically listed on the lease that she was denying any liability and wouldn't be paying out a dime.

I gotta call my insurance company Monday to see if they want to handle it or if I need to hire an attorney and go after her myself. I have a feeling insurance is going to shy away since I've already sold the damaged unit without filing a claim first, which I'm now kicking myself for not filing that claim. I'd asked my agent at the time about it, and he didn't think I needed to since she'd admitted fault and was going to pay out of pocket.

The other downside is I now need to look for a new lease for my business, no way I can continue working with them going forward. What happens when he hits one of my employee's cars next!?

I take back every nice thing I said about two ethical people working together on a mutual settlement without attorneys. Goes to show, you can't trust anybody these days....

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Matt Benoit likes this.
  4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I can see the landlords side. The snowplow accidentally tapped a twenty year old camper and cracked the storage box. He probably didn't think the camper would be totaled when he offered to pay for damages. Also he might think that you are taking advantage of the situation and upgrading to a better camper. How much money were you asking for?

5. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I'm sure they didn't expect it to be totaled either, even though I told her after she hit it it was likely totaled and going to be about $3k. She either didn't hear that, conveniently forgot, or thought I was blowing smoke up her rear. The amount I'm asking for is just shy of $3k - book value was around $3400 and I got about $500 out of the damaged unit. I could show her the bill for the replacement one, that cost me over $6k. I'm not asking to be paid for the upgrade, I'm asking to be paid for what my old one was worth, minus what I got out of it.
    The thing that steams my clams is now the utter denial after admitting fault. No "that's more than we expected let me talk to our insurance" or "can we work out some sort of deal" it was a "I talked to my lawyer and we're not paying." What would she have done had her husband hit an employee's car with that plow and the damage came back higher than expected?

6. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I dont think you'll have to hire an attorney. The limit for small claims court is usually $3000-5000. Should be a pretty open and shut case. You provide two estimates for the damage, and proof of it's value. Even if they have a "we are not responsible for damage" clause in the storage contract, that often does not preclude damage due to their negligence.*

*I received my law degree from the University of Judge Judy, et al.

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Accidents happen, that's what insurance is for. They broke it, they have to pay. If you knock over someone's Faberge egg, it's still on you to have it replaced, even though it costs a whole lot more than if you knocked over a generic drinking glass in the same location.

We had some relatively minor damage done to our van while parked, hit & run. It looked tiny, but van was less than a year old and I wanted it fixed. Cost without insurance was $2600. So a "little tap with a snowplow" can cost thousands, even if not an old camper. They just need to file a claim and pay up.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Look at the original pictures of the cracked storage box and tell me you would be willing to pay $3000 to have that fixed. I think that even a $1000 would of been generous.

9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If you break something, you're not given a choice about what you're "willing to pay". Body work is expensive. You wouldn't believe how small the damage to my van was that I mentioned above, but it was still nearly $3000 as well.

She's not bilking them for money... but when someone breaks something it's their problem, not the person whose stuff they've broken.

10. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

This might be a bit late to the party, but just as an idea, a good auto body repair shop can fix that. Depending on what the specific plastics were / are that are in play there. My brother in laws shop has been doing similar on older auto interior plastics but the concepts and processes should be the same...

11. bayport

bayport New Member

Wow! This turned into quite the saga. I know I am late to this thread but when I had hail damage to my house my insurance company reimbursed me for the estimate I got on my 1996 Coleman ABS roof. The only place I could find to give me an estimate was a small rv repair shop that had mostly motorhomes in the lot. The guy quoted $5k which was basically all labor. I don't think you were being greedy at all. Regardless of the age of the camper, they broke it. I hope you enjoy your new rig and I bet whoever got your old rig will enjoy it too. (I fixed the roof with Grizzly Grip and the next summer we hit hail in Wyoming so my husband fixed it with T-Rex bed liner.)

tfischer likes this.
  12. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Unfortunately not possible. I called around to a few places. Due to Coleman replacement parts being unavailable and the material being ABS nobody would even attempt a repair. One shop told me they'd repaired a couple in the past, and both were back in less than a year later with problems on the repair, so they didn't want to take the risk of losing out on labor and reputation. At least he was honest with me!

13. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I can see that point, which is the one the lot owner is taking, but looks can be deceiving. They totalled it, they're responsible, in my opinion.

tfischer likes this.
  14. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Iowa's small claims limit is $5k so it'll go there. My insurance company is reviewing everything right now, but they already told me the claim will probably be denied since I already sold it. I'm definitely kicking myself for not filing a claim earlier as a CYA. In the meantime, I'm working on finding a new storage lot for my business. I want to move the business before I file suit as I'm sure the lot owner will make my life hell once I file. I'll probably wind up handling the case myself to save the bucks. She has a local lawyer handle all of her lease, etc, so I'm sure he'll be there to represent her. I don't like going up on my own against a seasoned lawyer, but paying a lawyer a thousand bucks on a $3k claim is a hard pill to swallow.

15. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Lawyers arent allowed in Small Claims court.

16. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

What a Pain in the rear...... integrity is hard to find I guess. Good luck