Porta Potty Recommendations...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by xuman3, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. xuman3

xuman3 New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Thanks for all the great advice in this forum! I love it! We have a 2012 Jayco 1207 and have wife and two girls five and two years of age. Can anyone recommend a spot to keep the porta potty and which one to purchase for our model PUP? We use the U-dinette as a bed but take the dinette table outside. Thanks in advance!
    Justin

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I have a Thetford Curve I would sell... very nice toilet - easy to use, easy to clean! As far as where to put it - that's up to you! Outside tent works great (can hook you up with one also) or somewhere out of the way on the floor. I only used mine one weekend, new tt has a toilet.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have one that DW uses in the horse trailer, It was so low that I built a box to raise it up so it was comfortable for her to use. We bought ours from Wally World. Be sure and get chemicals for it too. As far as where to put it, you will have to figure that out, but also might need a curtain suspended from the ceiling. Good Luck and Happy Camping

4. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    We had the earlier version of the curve, the 465. Our family really liked it.

5. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    32F1CED4-6F41-44A3-9591-52A762D7D0F8.jpeg Thetford campa pottie. Outside in shower tent. I have a non bath 1207 Jayco. Get this for ontop of the cabinet.

6. xuman3

xuman3 New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Wow, I like that organizer, do you pack your clothes then put them in that organizer when you get there? I just bought the three drawer shelf unit from Sterilite because I can't stand using suitcases and keeping them in the car anymore. We also want to pack the clothes once and these fit through the door of the camper with the camper lowered. http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=918&ProductCategory=297&section=1

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We just picked up a Thetford Curve after several years of going Pottiless... We're doing a couple long trips this year (vs 2 and 3 night ones in the past) and I thought it would be a good idea. We debuted it this past weekend... I originally said it would be for "overnight #1 use only" but we quickly relaxed that to "any #1 use" when we saw how convenient it was. I still don't think we'll use it for #2 at all unless it's an emergency, but it sure was easy to dump and clean.

The curve is the same height as a standard toilet, and about the same seat size, so you won't have problems with that.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    There is a new free one in Connecticut ......

9. tfischer

Missed the question of where to keep the potty. Many pups have a designated cabinet for it. Ours does... it's a large cabinet, and the only one without a face frame at the floor So you can slide the potty in and out easily. As for privacy, you'll have to figure that out. My family isn't all that hung up on that and it's usually good enough to say "I'm going in to use the potty" if we're outdoors, or "look away" if we're in bed and still awake.

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I had to raise my cabinet by the door an inch to slid the potty in. photo.jpg I just used some wooden blocks and the bunk still cleared the top.

xuman3 likes this.
  11. xuman3

xuman3 New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Do you ship?

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Not really

13. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    I have to laugh when the mindset is #1 is ok, but no no no, better not do #2 in the toilet. For crying out loud folks, these are toilets, engineered for solid waste. At 68, I just can't hold it long enough sometimes to run over to the bath house to take a dump, especially in the middle of the night. This is partly why we're transitioning from tent camping so we can have a bathroom and don't need to camp close to the bath house. Yep, put us down for #1 & #2.....pretty please.

JPBar, soft 17 and kitphantom like this.
  14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    No #2 in the porta pottie please.
    :grin:

15. tfischer

Your toilet, you can do as you like. As for me, if there's a plumbed-in toilet 200 feet away, I'm not dealing with cleaning up #2 for the once a day or so people need to take a dump. If we were boondocking then obviously it would be different.

16. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    That's the point, those who don't use their toilet are tethered to the bath house within close proximity. As for me, I don't want to be anywhere close to the community bathing center that is a critical mass of campers constantly going back and forth. I like to be on the outer fringes of the chaos and not be camping at ground zero. I can see though that people are passionate about this subject so I don't want to step on any toes and get anyone's panties in a wad. [Guitar]

17. tfischer

Camp on, bro. No wadded panties here.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  18. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Duplicate post

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  19. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Duplicate post

20. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Sorry for all the extraneous posts. This porta potty talk gets messy.

tfischer likes this.