Possibly going to the dark side!

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by silvermickey2002, Jun 6, 2018.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Last evening I had just sat down to watch TV with the DW when she comes over to me with her iPad and says "Keep an open mind"!!! She shows me the floor plan for a 2018 Jayco Octane 210 Super Lite toy hauler!! :shocked: https://www.jayco.com/products/toy-haulers/2018-octane-super-lite/210/

I look at it and it does have a nice floor plan, but then I look at the specs and GVW is about 9750 lbs with a dry hitch weight weight of 800 lbs!!! I'm like NO WAY, waaaayyyy to heavy. So, for the next two hours we start look at other floor plans of TT's (not toy haulers) and find some nice layouts. It looks like we might be going to the RV Show in Hershey. I have a feeling we will be leaving with something new and not a PUP!!

Now mind you we both really love our pup, but we do a lot of cross country traveling with it and a lot of one night stays along the way and we are both getting older and setting up is getting a little harder. The nice thing is that our son really likes our pup so it will stay in the family.

JPBar likes this.
  2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    You have that feeling, chances are pretty good that you will be bringing something home. Good luck on your future purchase!

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    We went from an 8 ft box Jayco ....... to a 10 ft Coleman with front storage ........ to an 8 ft wide 15 foot box hybrid. Every step better and better and never lost money (YEA) selling my old campers paid the price of its replacement.

MaeKay likes this.
  4. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    The DW and I will have to sit down and set a budget for a purchase. Some of these things are just crazy $$$$

MaeKay likes this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Ahh scoutmaster days ....sleeping on a rock or in puddle .. big fires to dry out sleeping bags .. homesick scouts at summer camp ahh those were the days. And that was in the late 70's and 80's in must harder in todays times.
    Funny thing my 2 Eagle Scout sons had girls and the son that didn't do scouts had boys, so baseball, soccer, scouts, etc.

Katskamper and MaeKay like this.
  6. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    GVW for a toy hauler is well depends on what toys you are going to carry. I like the toyhauler for the simple fact that the rear section in some can be used as a patio and also the whole wall you can put a screen and open it. Even more open than a pup. Plus so easy to load and unload stuff. My next from TT will be a toy hauler.

the dry hitch weight is non WDH value i bet.

7. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    On that floorplan the cargo area is in the front of the TT!! Weird huh?

8. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    I do not think so as the cargo doors have to come down to open it. so it has to be in the rear due to the jack and hitch up front

9. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    But the king bed is a slide out the back. It took us a while to figure that out looking at the floor plan and interior virtual tour. Look at where the door is on the pic of the TT and then look at the floor plan as to how much space between the door and the front. We can't find a pic of the drivers side of the TT to see what it looks like.

10. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    I get it . Its an external toyhauler not the one where the toys are inside. the hitch weight is going to bad if you put a atv or something.

11. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I really like the 161. It's everything I would need for the two of us. Plus it still leave me plenty of room on the scale.

13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Good luck with your decision!!

14. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    We loved our Pup and said we'd never go dark. But I started talking the guy next to us at the campgound last summer. Next thing you know we were taking a tour of their travel trailer. Then he told me what he paid and I realized I could afford what I wanted and the game was on.

DW and I decided to stay home over Labor Day and went trailer shopping instead.

We loved our Pup but life on the dark side is great -- especially setting up and breaking down. [:)C]

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I just got a Fuzion 295 toy hauler and man I love it! When it's just the DW and I, we have a dance floor back there, but if we have company, we have bunks we can pull down. We've pulled the UTV with it a few times too. My max hitch weight is around 950 or so, but I use a WDH, and that's in my limits.

I think you'll find something you like and be very happy with the move.

16. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    JPBar likes this.
  17. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  18. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Active Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Have fun shopping in dream Land. We went to a big RV show last year in Dallas. The big motorhomes and 5th wheels were overpowering with bling. After a few hours our brains were fried and they all started looking the same. No PUPS though.

19. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I got my 25ft TT in late fall. I just kept watch as their price slashed down because folks don't want to store it. Scored a killer deal, and gave me the winter to find / afford a WDhitch, hoses, and random other crap I didn't have. Good luck!

kcsa75 likes this.
  20. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Recommend a fall purchase. Ours was stickered at 32k and was advertised at 24k and ended up paying a little less than 21k . Included a tradein of a PUP.
    the PUP we traded in was advertised for 1k more than the tradein and was gone in a week from their site .