Possibly going to the dark side!

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by silvermickey2002, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    If you like the floor plan of the Octane 210 but decide you can do without the toyhauler, the Jayco Jayfeather X213 is the exact same, only without the toy deck out front. I actually really like that floor plan. You get bunks plus the space of a hybrid with no canvas to deal with.

I also really like the Octane SL 222 as a traditional toyhauler. I don’t have any motorized toys, but it would be great to just throw the kayaks and bikes inside while traveling, have a huge open space during the day, then drop down a queen size bed at night.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Yes, that was the one we were looking at (Jay feather X213). We were camping this past weekend and our friend saw a Jayco (not the x213) with the rear slide out bed on a Jayco so we checked it out. No one was home, but we wanted to see how the slide out was constructed from the outside. I can say it had two main steel supports under it and looked solid. This Jayco (25 footer) was one of the campgrounds rental units and we saw no sag at all on the slide out. Seemed to be built very well! My wife loves the floorplan of the X213. She really like the sofa across from the dinette.

Sometimes while camping at a campground we like to go around and check out the other rigs and see how they are and what might work for us. We can safely say no hybrids for us!! There was a brand new Jayco a few sites down from us they had 3 bunks on it. We watched him fold them up and he had to stand on the front frame to latch it up and on the side one he needed a step ladder. The rear one he was on his tippy toes. The guy was about 6' tall. No thanks...!!

3. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    One of the reason i moved to a TT was my bad back. When we were shopping we liked the roo 233 till i saw how to put the bed up. That was the end of hybrids for me.Plus you have the whole if wet, need to open to dry to prevent mold issue again.

4. jerbear

jerbear Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Indiana
    I wish my wife would get to that point .She wants one ,she knows I want one and we are seniors on S.S. so it would be used ,but I feel like a kid in a candy shop LOL. If it's meant to be ,it will be. good luck

5. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    We did that for three years going to the rv show and looking online. In April my wife surprised me with a new travel trailer. It't a flagstaff fbrs21. We have made two outing with it so far. One a weekend near home meeting up with some friends and we just got back from a week long trip out to DC, Statue of Liberty and Niagara Falls. One advantage we found was setting up or one night stops are so much easier. We stayed one night at a turnpike plaza in Ohio that actually has hookups for electric for rvs. For the overnights we never even unhooked from the truck. Mostly we stayed two nights in each location. We found that the trailer is so much more conformable and has amenities (bathroom for those middle of the night visits) that we don't know how we got along for 20 years with our popup. The bed is set in such a way that we don;t have to climb over each other to get up as well. Granted this trailer is really just for the two of us but it fits our needs perfectly.

6. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Yeah, for those one night stops not having to unhitch will be really nice. As for those nighttime bathroom runs, that will be nice!!!

kitphantom likes this.
  7. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    That's what drove me to the Aliner. Which was fine for my back for a couple years. When I started talking about doing more long distance 3+ week trips, my wife pushed us to a TT. ;)

8. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    My wife told me she knows it's getting harder for me to do most of the setting up. She does help me more now, but going to a TT will be a God send!!!

We are still talking about it and still looking at different floor plans. We are also thinking of a class C motor home. But that is way on the back burner....

J Starsky likes this.
  9. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

Jun 11, 2009
    leitchfield, kentucky
    The dark side is calling!!!we offer easy one night stands, potties, brownies and most of all...ice cream!

BEAR

10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Give me a couple years with my new to me PUP. Save me some of that ice cream though. My fav is mint chocolate chip.

kcsa75 likes this.
  11. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    So do HighWall PUPS!

12. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Actually got the brownies covered with a DO and have indoor plumbing however... ice cream; we'll have to beg, borrow or steal from you guys.

13. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    you know you can make ice cream in a DO as well !

Dan from Troup likes this.
  14. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Did not know that. Thought you might be pulling me leg until I googled. Nice to know and a fun thing to do with grandkids. http://www.texasironchef.com/?p=3040

15. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    ICE CREAM!!! ICE CREAM!!!

Vanilla please with Magic Shell!!

We talked this thru many, many times and we have come to the decision that now is probably not the right time. We haven't had a car payments since early 2012 and our mortgage will be paid off in January 2021. So we decided to wait till we make the last mortgage payment. Until then we will keep looking at floor plans for TT's and Class C's and see what will work best for us.

I can say we will have fun looking at all the new stuff coming out!!

16. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Ha! Magic Shell!! It sounds like you have made a wise choice.