Post camping trip pup rituals?

Discussion in 'Camp Driveway' started by gofster, Aug 6, 2014.

1. gofster

gofster New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    I was wondering what everyone's post trip pup rituals are when you get home from a trip. Do you set up your pup for a couple days to air it out? Any special cleaning like the top or awning? Cleaning the inside? etc.?

We usually set ours up to air out, and clean the top and awning if it needs it. I usually give the systems a once over to make sure everything looks okay and nothing got tweaked on the trip home.

This trip we just got back from, I gave the inside a really good cleaning, the first chance I've had to do that since we got the NTU pup last month.

What do you do?

Miller likes this.
  2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I'm still new at this, but for our few trips we've just popped it up, didn't even set the screen door, and did a quick clean-up (mainly sweeping/damp-mopping the floor, as we try to clean up the rest before tear-down, but it seems you can never quite get the floor clean at the campsite). I use that as an opportunity to shut the fridge too (we leave it blocked open when we pop down) so it's ready to be pre-cooled the next time without popping up.

If we put it away damp then I'd air it out but I haven't had to do that yet. Putting it away dry, I'm not sure what I'd be "airing out".

3. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Sep 5, 2011
    Nothing real major. Usually unhitch and move it to the parking spot.

If it is late to get home, I will plug it in to shore power and leave it at that.

If it is early, I will raise the roof, pull off the beading, & unload the fridge.

If the weather is good I will leave it up for a bit.

If rain is coming, I will lower the roof and wait for a dry spell. Then a good cleaning, restock, & make the beds to get ready for the next trip.

Miller likes this.
  4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I usually wrap it up nicely at the CG, close it up, back it into the parking space and there it sits.

IF it is raining when I fold it up, I will open it up at home on a dry day to dry it out.

I chuck needed consumables in the door (paper towels, plastic cutlery, batteries).

5. gofster

gofster New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    It sounds like we do a lot of the same things, so that's good. : )

tfischer, we mostly air it out, even if it's dry, just so it doesn't smell like stale campfire for the most part.

6. Heady

Heady Active Member

Sep 24, 2012
    We clean from head to toe at the campground before leaving, items in the camper stay in the camper, the items that need to go back to the house go in the truck. We drop the camper at the storage facility and then head home.

7. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    I do pretty much as Generok ( and Heady) said, doing my cleanup at the CG, so I don't have to pop up at home. The only exception being if I have gone beach camping, I set up at home and rinse off the canvas with the hose, and let it dry off for a day or 2. That gives me a chance to get more of the sand out of it, too. [SUN]

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We usually set it up when we get home, or the next day. We don't have room to move the bedding & rugs that will need to be laundered, and boxes that will need to be restocked to the TV. If we know we won't have time to pop it up as soon as we arrive home, we'll put the pillow duffel (we don't have duplicates of everything I use) into the TV.
    Depending on the schedule when we get home, we leave the pup up a day to a week, to clean and re-stock.

After last week's wet Colorado trip, we definitely needed to dry things out, including the awning and patio mat. We've had rain since we got home, so I hope to be able to finish things up and close it down tomorrow.

9. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

Feb 25, 2014
    We clean everything sweep the floors then wash them with a rag before we close it up at the campground.
    Then we bring it home and park it.

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I have to work at getting it into the garage. The garage is at a 90 degree angle. I have to jack up the camper and put wood under the wheel to get over the bump into the garage.

11. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron New Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Everything is done at the cg when we pack up, then just back it into the garage and unhitch

12. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    When we had a Pup we buttoned everything up at the camp, only way it got put up at home was to dry or repair. Not much has changed going to the HTT, but nicer that most of the packed stuff that got put in the TV now stays in the camper.

13. WingShot

WingShot New Member

May 14, 2014
    It's a little different every time, depending on the weather, length of trip, and amount of accumulated dirt.

Ultimately, everything is cleaned up and put away dry at the campground. Kitchen tote (dry goods, dirty dishes) goes into house kitchen and linens tote into laundry room. Everything gets washed and restocked that night and back into the PUP after work the following day. If needed, rugs and PUP are hosed down. Then I pull it up to the storage lot. It's happened like that maybe two times. [;)]

Often, things get put away wet and dirty. Or we went for a hike and left late in the day. Sometimes we are going out again the next weekend so maybe linens don't get washed and PUP doesn't get up to the storage lot. Being flexible and having options is an ongoing theme in our PUP camping.

14. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
    Rather than create a new thread, I found this old one to revive that asks and provides the basic discussion I wanted to put out to the Portal members...

Here we are, home after 7 nights on The Cold River at Mohawk State Forest in Western MA.

We will air and sweep and wipe down, dry out and park her in the garage till next trip or for winter depending on our schedules...
    [​IMG]

What do you guys all do?
    If nothing's broken, I tend to do all regular maintenance in the spring.

15. kcsa75

kcsa75 Active Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I don't see any need to air the Pup out. We normally have everything open when we camp so there's nothing to air out. We normally camp every two-to-three weekends so we leave the bedding in the Pup. But we do clean everything real well -- wipe off everything with Clorox wipes and sweep the floor well -- before we start packing things away.
    Before we put it away for winter, we take a lot of stuff out -- bedding, dishes, pots and pans etc. -- out of the Pup and put a box of FreshCab inside to keep the mice and other critters out.
    Finally, we store our Pup in an enclosed boat storage barn with a gravel floor, so I always put the cover over it. It really helps keep the dust out. [:)C]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  16. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
    Airing out / Drying out, we find helps, we camp five days at a time usually, but always camp with our dog Abbie and our two boys. We camp a 21 year old camper with original canvas that deserves all the dry, breezy air we can give her LOL! We enjoy the campfire, firewood smell gets in the PUP, for marshmallows, campfire cones and smores, and we always get some rain...just par for the course [{}=]:)
    [Guitar]
    Happy Camping!!

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Since going dark, I back it into it's spot, plug it in, then we unload and clean at our convenience. We do take the bedding inside and wash /dry it then put it back in TT until next trip.

Miller likes this.