Power cord

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Horby, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    I just got back from my third camping trip and didn't notice before but this time when I pulled out the plug from the shore power I noticed the prongs were really really hot and one actually touch my skin and gave it a little burn, also one of the prongs had some black mark on it like it was a little burnt. called my buddy and he said it's because something is drawing too much power and need to get it looked at. What are your thoughts

2. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Canton, Georgia
    I would question the receptacle that the power cord plugged into..

The contacts / female spade connectors are probably worn out causing a slight gap, resulting in arcing between the receptacle and the plug on the power cord.

The arcing causes burned marks and excessive heat...

3. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Anytime electric power has to go through a connection there will be resistance and thus heat. This is especially true of plugs, whether in your home or trailer. Feel the plug on your vacuum cleaner after using it for a while. Black marks are likely from pulling the plug while there was still current flowing through the connection. As you drew the plug out the current had to flow through less and less area, until it finally arced as the connections was broken.

A proper power pedestal has a switch you should shut off before pulling the plug. Alternatively, shut off as many current draws in the trailer as possible- lights, reefer, etc. Best practice is to have the power pedestal switch in the off position when connecting and disconnecting. Switches are designed to quickly make and break the connection to minimize arcing.

Garrity, Mski35, Orchid and 1 other person like this.
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    X2 on what seldomseen mentioned above. . To help decide if it was campground power post or your pul, what combination of things did you have powered by the pup?

5. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    A.c., refer, tv, 2 phone chargers

6. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    Turn the breaker off before plugging in or out, saves wear and tear on your cord.

Mski35 and Horby like this.
  7. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Okay, that would explain the burn mark as I normally do turn breaker off first then pull the plug but got distracted and did it without turning it off. I can admit my faults lol. The breakers in the pup were off I do know that. So the cord is still good even though it has the mark on it correct?

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Sounds like dirty or worn contacts. Turn the power breaker off first, plug in, turn on breaker.

Ask your buddy this. If the trailer was using too much power way wouldn't the breaker trip. Bad or worn connections is the problem. The ends are replaceable.

9. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Should I replace the end? 15310669176611215580326.jpg

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    It doesn't look like its bad enough to replace. The power pedestal at the CG has the problem. Whenever possible I plug into the 50amp receptacle. They will have way less wear than the 30 amp.

Horby and Raycfe like this.
  11. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    I didn't think it was bad enough to replace, I'm just not well educated in electrical so to speak

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Horby likes this.
  13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I would say not yet also. I like the idea of using the 50 outlet.

Horby likes this.
  14. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Member

May 29, 2016
    Mt. Wachusett area, MA
    It's fine, or rather it can be renewed to become fine. Clean up the flat blades with some fine grit sand paper or emery to remove the oxidation and scortch mark. Shiny, "new-penny" copper will have less resistance where it mates to the socket and will reduce the chance of localised heat being produced. You can't do anything about the socket, if it is the campground's, and I suspect that a loose socket grip on your plug blade is what caused this condition.

15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Looks fine to me, no cleaning needed. Shiny new will oxidize just as fast, lol.

16. TeamECKO

TeamECKO Member

Aug 6, 2016
    WA State
    I have always wondered if it was safe to use the 50 amp plug with a 50 amp to 30 amp plug adapter. Right next to the power cord storage on my PUP is a sticker that says only use 120v, 30 amp service, providing anything higher than that will cause damage.

Perhaps that is referring to not plugging into 240v? Just because you plug into 50 amp, that amount of electricity isn’t automatically provided, that’s the amount the camper could pull , if it needed it correct? Or does plugging into a 50 amp plug send 50 amps worth of power into the converter automatically?

17. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    If you have a problem the breaker won't trip until the load is 50 amps. Could potentially be more of a fire hazzard.

18. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area

19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    If you draw more then 30 amps through your wireing you could melt something or burn something out. The wire is rated at 30 amps. Going lower is ok, higher not so much.

20. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I would just use the 50. If that was all I had available and I had extreme confidence that I had no issues with my wiring. Otherwise you have almost no protection.