Power cord

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Horby, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    So I just called my dealer about the cord issue with the prongs getting really hot and they told me I was probably drawing too many amps since I had the refer, ac, tv, and 2 phone chargers going. Does this sound correct? I'm very green when it comes to electricity.

2. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    No big deal, I'm reading everything and learning

3. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Also the battery was hooked up

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Was the power cord loose fitting in the receptical ? I was thinking it was looser and just got a little scorch mark from some arching. That would cause some heat. You have to count the amps that you were running at the time, so estimate it and see if you were close to overdrawing. Or you could just run less stuff, adding some one at a time to see if you can replicate the overheating?

5. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    I'm thinking it was like u said a loose connection or from pulling it out with breaker on. I just want to be sure before my next trip. I was going to have them look at it but they said if they found nothing wrong they would charge me $125 an hour

6. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    I wasn't there when it got set up, my significant other is the one to do it so I don't know how it fit in there

7. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Well you can wait to test it out, just keep an eye on it for a while with the same load on it, don't leave it unattended with everything on. That way you can see what's, what. If it is a problum, turn some stuff off. Just what I would do. I'm sure the electrical gurus can walk you through voltmeater , to check for continuity, etc.

Horby likes this.
  8. CivilizedOne

CivilizedOne Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Kentuckiana
    If you're dicey on the power draw and blowing out your camper I'd recommend an RV surge protector -- worth it for peace of mind. And with the state of power pedestals I've seen, cheap insurance in the long run.

Sjm9911 and Horby like this.
  9. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Wouldent that only work for power spikes coming in from the supply side? Not overdraw from the demand side?

10. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Surgeguard 44280 I just looked up has an indicator light for overheating as well as many other things

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Looks good!

12. jerbear

jerbear Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Indiana
    NO there is nothing wrong with it .Try plugging it in at home and see what it does .I bet there is no problem there ,it more likely the C.G.

Horby likes this.
  13. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Just got back from another camping trip and the power cord didn't get hot at all this time. Must have been a bad pedestal or I'm hoping. Good for now