Probably a silly question - How to keep water spilling out of sink in fold down galley

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by PammyM, Oct 2, 2017.

1. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Another question from a newbie. How do you keep water from spilling out of the sink drain onto the floor when you fold down the galley? I am careful to dry out the sink before folding down the galley. There is a basket style stopped that I tighten all the way but water still ends up all over the floor. Should We have received a solid stopper too? The basket style stopper seems to hold water in the sink but does not keep it from coming out when we fold down the galley. Is there something better we can buy? Here is a picture of the strainer. Thanks! Pam

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Mine wouldn't have more than a few ounces of water in it. I would just shove a paper towel in the drain opening and that did the trick. How much water is left in your drain? Take a look under the sink and see if you have a funny bend in the drain line that might be trapping water.

RDWRER and PammyM like this.
  3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Don't think there is a for sure way to keep this from happening. Might get a small plastic dish and put a couple of paper towels in it and place it on the floor under the sink drain when you flip it over.

PammyM likes this.
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I always just tossed a dirty towel under it

PammyM likes this.
  5. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    On our pup, I did away with the so called p trap under the sink on ours, now it goes directly to a hose which is almost vertical, to a p trap I made which attaches to the pup outside at the gray water outlet.....sink drains much better now, & no trapped water to spill on the floor when the galley is tipped over. Used this:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030453NM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    to eliminate the p trap .
    See post #11 for pic of external p trap, here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/threads/wheres-the-trap.112501/#post-1135765

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    PammyM likes this.
  6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    If you pause a moment halfway as you lower the galley water will drain out of the trap. This worked well with my Palomino and was in the Palomino manual. Chambo's suggestion of shoving a paper towel in the drain is also something I have done.

PammyM likes this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    On mine the p trap is on the side of the cabinet and below the hinge so removing it would not help. I usually don't have too much water but there is some. I just put my dutch oven pans underneath and it solves the problem.

A stopper would fall out in transit unless it is screwed in so I don't think that would be a good solution.

PammyM likes this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We have a flip-over galley. My procedure for prepping the sink for storage is to have my wife run a little clear water through the drain hose to rinse it out. Then I remove the hose, and have her flip the galley most of the way over and back several times, while holding a towel or washcloth over the drain. This purges a surprising amount of water out of the drain line. Then I cap it off from the outside.

If we are using tank water I drain the tank before doing this.

PammyM likes this.
  9. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    I've never had that problem.

10. tfischer

Your model appears to have a swing galley, so the sink isn't turning upside-down.

11. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Ok. Got it!:D

tfischer likes this.
  12. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    That's a good idea Theseus. I did put a couple paper towels in the sink after closing the basket tight, last weekend and the paper towels were drenched and water still leaked out onto the floor. I just bought a rubber stopper that will hopefully fit, and I'm going to try that. I'll try pausing though half way like you suggested as well. Thanks! Pam

13. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Great idea tfischer about holding a towel over the drain while we flip it most of the way several times. Not sure I want to remove the hose every time though. That seems to be a pain. Do you remove it from the outside of the camper, or from the sink drain? I think I'll try a towel, while flipping the sink most of the way several times, and then put the rubber stopper in. Thanks! Pam

14. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Another great idea. Thanks for the link and the pics. Why do we even need a p trap for a basic popup trailer that doesn't have any sewer connections? All I have is a sink. No toilet or shower.
    Thanks, Pam

15. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    The basic function of a P trap is to prevent sewer gas from coming out of the sink drain when you have the PUP drain system connected to a campground sewer system or a black water holding tank. As suggested, remove the P trap from under the sink and make an exterior one. The pipe size will vary depending on the size of your exterior discharge. If you're just laying a drain hose on the ground, you may want to still use the exterior P trap to discourage critters from venturing up the pipe.

PammyM likes this.
  16. Firering

Firering New Member

May 24, 2014
    St Louis
    Just figured out a solution- Bring a plunger and push the remaining water in the p-trap out or bring a wet vac and suck the water out. I just ordered a new p-trap myself and will check it to see if the new one has a drain valve on it. My old one had a little metal stem sticking out and never thought about seeing if the would drain the p-trap.

17. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Great idea about a plunger. I am pretty sure mine doesn’t have a valve but I’ll double check. I did buy a rubber stopper too which may help. Thanks. Pam

18. tfischer

I'm fairly sure mine doesn't even have a P-trap :)

19. Firering

Firering New Member

May 24, 2014
    St Louis
    If it has a white connector with a dome shaped bottom with a little metal post on the bottom then it's a p-trap. It won't look like a normal house p-trap. See this item on google or amazon. I checked my old one and the metal post is the pivot point as the bottom half can be twisted around to allow the drain hose to discharge in what ever position you need it. If you're getting some water draining from the sink when you tip it over then it's got to be coming from this connector.
    Camco 37420 Flexible Camper Drain

20. tfischer

Ah interesting. Yeah that looks like mine.

Tipping the galley multiple times as I mentioned above seems to drain it out really well.