Propane Fridge on while driving?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by burtonfamily101, Sep 13, 2018.

1. burtonfamily101

burtonfamily101 New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Hi All,

I think most RV's or 5th wheel do this.

Would this be an okay idea? I have about a 4hr drive tomorrow and would like to keep stuff cold and wondering what everyone does.

I could always put an icepack in fridge to help.

Thanks

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I do it that way in my hybrid and my previous TT. I've never had any problems doing that. My pup has a dorm style fridge (110 only). I make sure it is cold max the day before, then pack some frozen foods in it as well, usually what I'm going to fix that night. After 6 hour trips, I've arrived with the fridge still cold and only partially thawed meat for dinner.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    It works on some units, but on others the pilot light blows out. You also have to remember to turn it off at gas stations and tunnels. I personally never tried it myself mainly because I hate having to popup the unit before the trip only to have to open it again at the destination.

4. burtonfamily101

burtonfamily101 New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Thanks everyone,

Maybe i'll put an ice pack inside than when I use propane keep it at very low in case it goes out. I wont be going in any tunnels or anything like that.

5. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    You’ll find about a 50/50 opinion on that topic. Tons of people have done it over the years. I, for one turn mine off mainly because if it can happen, it usually does to me. Freezing a 1 gal jug of water works AND you have fresh drinking water at the campsite.

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Yeah, I've tried a few times to travel with mine running on propane, but it is always blown out by the time I get to my destination. I don't bother trying anymore. As said, put a bunch of frozen stuff in the fridge, and be sure to start it up as soon as you get set up at the site. You could operate the fridge on 12v while driving. Be careful to always have the engine running during the trip as that fridge will kill a tow vehicle battery in no time at all. If you stop for lunch somewhere, unplug the trailer harness from the tow vehicle.

7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    It's really a personal preference.

I cool my fridge down at home before the trip using shore power. I fill up the fridge as much as possible and add a couple frozen blue ice packs in the fridge and a couple more in the freezer. I can travel 4 hours without losing any cold. So, I don't bother to run the propane while driving.

8. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    I run my hybrid on propane but never did my pup while driving. I read on here that it's very wise to turn it off before getting gas. Luckily I haven't had to stop to turn it off, to stop for gas, then to stop to turn it back on. We'll see what I decide to do on a long trip. Mine is a 2 way so 12v is not an option.

9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    With a 2 way fridge, there isn't a lot of choices, so mine is on gas while driving

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Always do.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Ran the pups fridge on propane while towing with only a few issues and tow the TT with the fridge on propane all the time and have never had an issue with the flame blowing out or having to turn it off at gas stations..