Propane Hook Up for Heater

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Kampus, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Kampus

Kampus Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Slate Belt, Pa
    We have a 2000 Jayco Eagle 10...no furnace. We primarily boondock and are considering purchasing a Mr Heater Buddy to help extend our camping season a bit. It doesnt have a great run time off the little propane tanks though. You can however purchase a hose and fitting that will run it off of a 20lb tank.

Inside we have the hook up for the stove that we never use. It has a connection that is similar to a air line fitting. Has anyone attempted to or found a connection that will allow me to safely run the heater buddy using this line connected to the 20lb tank?

Or is this just a bad idea?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I think the stove is low pressure , while the Mr heater is high pressure , not sure on that.

3. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    And....some people say they are safe inside. I chatted with a propane expert...he says, "don't do it".

4. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I have used a Mr. Heater attached to 20lb bottles for years. It keeps the pup quite warm. I do have carbon monoxide and propane detectors in mine. I think I got them at Home Depot.

theseus likes this.
  5. Novarich

Novarich Member

Dec 8, 2014
    If you haven't purchased the buddy heater yet, I suggest the Big Buddy Heater. It has 3 heat settings and a quick attach for the propane i assembled a hose to connect mine to the stove quick attach.

Attached Files:

jnc and theseus like this.
  6. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    You can buy varying lengths of hose if your stove one won't work. I have a 5 foot hose that I connect mine to a small 4 or 5lb tank which is much better than the 1lb bottles. Make sure to get a filter if you go this route. Some of the hoses leach something the messes up the buddy heaters but the filter stops that.

I have used mine for quick heat up in the our old pup but I wouldn't sleep with it on, just don't feel comfortable with it while sleeping. I also use mine in the garage in the winter and it's great.

I agree, get the big one. You can always turn the big buddy down to a lower setting but the little ones you can't turn any higher.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Be aware that burning propane produces a lot of water vapor.

8. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    You need a window partly open anyhow, just run the LPG line thru the window.

9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I use a Propane Tree. This makes having an extra 20# tank very helpful. I put a Lamp on top. Than hook up a stove and run a hose into the Pup by where the door Velcro. I also have a board to put the heater on and use a bungee cord to make sure it can't fall over. I have no fear of using it in the Pup because the only time I got the carbon monoxide and propane detectors to sound off was when We were camping in 25-30 degree weather and I was running the furnace, Stove & Mr Buddy heater. I shut down the stove and sleep fine for the next 3 nights.

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    If you hooked this up to an inside stove quick attach .... you would be running the heater on low pressure, wouldn't you?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    That's what I think. You would need another line for the heater if it's high pressure.

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    Both buddies operate at low pressure (past their regulator) but the bigger buddy has a quick disconnect that bypasses the regulator, uses low pressure input right to the burner.

One can use this hose that has a regulator at the propane cylinder and hose with quick connect

http://www.mrheater.com/12ft-big-buddy-hose-with-regulator.html

If ya use this hose with the big buddy, you can add the matching quick connect for your situation to supply reg low pressure to the big buddy
    http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/12ft-big-buddy-rv-hose.html

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  13. Novarich

Novarich Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Yes, the quick attach bypasses the regulators that the bottles screw into. If you use the quick attach from a 20lb bottle you need a regulator at the bottle. If you use the hose with a 1" fitting screwed into where the bottles go, you don't need the regulator.