Pulling PUP Into The Garage

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Strongbad, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Strongbad

Strongbad New Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Hi guys. First post and first time camper owner.

The family and I are experienced tent campers and felt that a PUP was the next logical step in evolution.

I would like to pull my PUP into my garage for storage. My driveway is fairly inclined and I don't feel good sticking it in the driveway with just wheel chocks.

My garage is only 6" wider than my camper, which leaves a novice "backer" a bit nervous.

I looked at powered tugs or dollies, and while they seem like they would do the trick, are pretty pricy.

I found a few boat guys who have rigged up a winch, bolted to the garage floor and used that to pull the trailer into the garage. That seems to be a good route but was wondering if anyone here has experience doing that?

I was thinking I could rig up the emergency brake cable to the winch so if the cable broke somehow, the ebrakey would trigger.

I could even put a railroad tie behind the wheels in the case of a rollback.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I believe another possibility is to add a hitch to the front of your vehicle and in so many ways push it in. That way your vehicle has control of the camper at all times and it would be easier to see what it's doing in front of you. Just not sure how easy it is to install a hitch in the front or if it is possible on your vehicle.

3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    If it is possible to back it into the garage then I would do that. Just take your time. You only need to do it once a year.

4. pasobuff

pasobuff Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I agree on backing it in. If you are nervous about backing up, find a place to practice - empty parking lot, your own driveway etc....get some cones or something else you can see (and won't hurt if you run over) and practice backing through them.....start a bit wide and move closer as you gain confidence.

This will also help you as you travel - as sometimes campsites can be a bit challenging depending on where you camp.....

Also, either have someone back you up so you don't hit the garage wall (or whatever is against it) - OR - measure from the spare tire/bumper to where the wheels hit the ground and add at least 6 inches for some leeway....then put a wheel chock such as a railroad tie or piece of wood to let you know when to stop! If you don't want to leave the chock there, make note of where the vehicle is in relation to the garage door and use that to gauge how far back you are.....practice makes perfect!!!

So many people forget that being able to back up is SOOOOOO important!!!!!

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Back it in... just take it slow & easy! You'll get it[:)C]

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Even though I stink at backing up my camper. I still back my camper almost into the garage. My garage is at a right angle to my driveway, which is 26' wide. It takes me a while but nobody is watching and I get it done.

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My POPUP trailer jack has the flat pad or swivel wheel that you can use on the bottom of the front tongue jack.. Easy to exchange...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Google images ETRAILER.COM I think sells them

If your driveway is concrete it would very easily be moved by hand. I have rigged my old sear lawn mower to move it as well... Of course having the hitch on the front would work best but my Sears LT1000 already had a hitch bar installed on the rear.

Looks like this photo I found online
    [​IMG]
    google image

My other problem was my trailer just barely fit inside my garage. I had to remove some shelving on the back wall to be able to close the garage door..

I did this for a couple of years but now I have real nice setup in my backyard next to my small woods so I built-up a neat little camp site here complete with fire pit mixed in with long wood pile... My trailer site is almost out of site.... Love to watch my NASCAR and Football games out here haha... I just back in there now to park my OFF-ROAD POPUP and now I can do some back yard camping as well. Great for testing out new mods etc... I also run a 20AMP 120VAC service out to this area as well...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. JLBlair

JLBlair New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    rvanderwerf likes this.
  9. rvanderwerf

rvanderwerf Member

Jul 20, 2017
  10. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Durham, NC
    Mine is a tight fit as well, and in a crowded parking lot no less, so I got a trailer dolly. It's a piece of cake - I keep the breakaway cable in one hand while I'm pushing, and DW walks next to the camper with a set of chocks for emergency deployment in case it gets away from me. It's a slight incline going up to my garage door and I can easily push my 3k lb camper by myself all the way in - DW is there for safety only.

11. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Jul 5, 2016
    I have a 2 car garage with two single openings which gives me about 2-3 inches on both sides when backing the pup in. The driveway has a pretty good grade to it so I'm backing up hill. Since I know I only have inches to spare, I use the drivers side mirror to back in, relying on the fact that if I'm really close on the drivers side, that I'm not rubbing the awning bag on the other side. The whole maneuver takes several trips in and out of the drivers seat and around the camper to make sure I'm lined up correctly and then to check clearances as I back her up. As soon as the tongue clears the door, chock the drivers side wheel and unhitch. I can fine tune the position using the wheel on the tongue jack once the driver side wheel is chocked. The whole thing takes a long time, probably 10 minutes, but I'm very careful with this, don't want to hurt anything. Just as careful when pulling out.

12. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Member

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    I used a Trailer Valet on my pup due to the slight incline and garage floor lip. Expensive ($350) but it got the job done.