Pup might be done for soon, front bunk end sagging

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by crazymama30, Jun 5, 2018.

1. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    So on this last trip out dtr and her boyfriend slept on the front bunk. The were cuddled out towards the far end of the bed, and the bunk end was majorly sagging. I put the auxiliary support that came with the pup (it has had this problem before I owned it) and that helped some. Then when taking the pup down I noticed that the roof of the pup did not meet the bottom portion, the bottom portion is bowed out.

I think the supports put too much pressure on the front of the pup and bowed it out. To top it off I did not have the bunk end slid out all the way, and it only sags on the end that was pushed out all the way.

2. Sharkdude

Sharkdude New Member

Mar 14, 2018
    are your slider rails bent?

my recently purchased used Pup had a bent rail and the safety stop bolt was not working correctly. Thus the bed would slide out too far. That coupled with a drunk friend in excess of 250 lbs just bent it more. I did some major re bending and repair and I think its ok for now. May look into an extra safety support to help with the stress.

3. crazymama30

Apr 1, 2017
    I will check that. How did you bend the bed rail?

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

How is it possible to set up a bunk without it being all the way out? The supports would be too long to fit into place.

5. crazymama30

Apr 1, 2017
    My supports fit into place. I was sleeping in the dinette/bed area and I stretched and that pushed the bunk end out another 6 or so inches. My supports don't go the full length of the bunk.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

My supports don't go the entire length of the bunk either. Still wouldn't fit on if bunk wasn't in proper position. I guess I would have to see it to understand. Anyway, hope you get it straightened out!

7. crazymama30

Apr 1, 2017
    I am wondering if I move the supports where they attach to the trailer so they are closer to the corner where I suppose they would have more support if that would help too? The bunk supports clip into brackets and the brackets are probably 2 feet in from the corner of the trailer. I could easily move them out a bit. The whole front of the pup is bowed out.

I just hate this. I could buy a new to me pup, but I would have to take withdrawal from my retirement. I just cannot make myself go back to tent camping. I did not hate it, but this is so much easier. I wanted to use this pup for 2 more years and save up.

I will take a closer look at it in July a couple weeks before our next trip is scheduled. For now I have enough to do around the house to keep busy.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Orchid likes this.
  9. crazymama30

Apr 1, 2017
    MileHigh, those look like they might do the trick! I ordered them, thanks for posting the link. I went out and measured about how high they would need to be and I got about 39 inches, and those go to 45! That would be awesome, as then I can get the last little bit of use out of the current pup and still camp and have fun and save money for a new pup! Right now I can save $200 a month, if I can keep that up I can have a new to me pup in 2 years or less depending on if i want to borrow and what i find!

hayyward and Orchid like this.