Pup obsevations while on the road

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Rusty2192, Aug 1, 2016.

1. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Every time we go anywhere, the wife counts the campers we see en route....everything from PUPs to the wheeled ocean liners....if we run across a horse trailer/camper combo, she'll even count that....lol

2. rerspain

rerspain Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    This past weekend we went out to Wellsboro, Pa from Middlesex, NJ and only saw 1 popup. There were to many TT to count.

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Yea, inexperienced driver doing tandem towing is VERY dangerous!

4. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Many things done inexperienced can be dangerous. Everyone had a first time for everything though. Some people do things safely and others don't regardless of the activity.

5. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I had a 5th once and pulled my 20ft inboard behind it. It really wasn't a very good idea and I only did it once. My neighbor tried it he always goes overboard had a welder come in spent a lot of money and he only did it once.

I was very careful of speed and watching for stopping distance in the Ozarks of Mo.

6. Donny

Donny New Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Northeast Indiana
    Pups are a bit more rare of a sight on the road than the big rv's, but I see more of them on the secondary highways. I stay off the interstates. Being surrounded by big rigs freaks out my wife, and my knuckles don't look good in white. Plus, the speed needed to keep from being run over on the interstate is much too high. Every vehicle I have owned has gotten a shimmy in the steering over about 62 mph. A mechanic once told me the problem is the nut that holds the wheel--he's a coward! He was right! When we travel next week, we will start out on U.S. 24 in Indiana and follow that all the way through Illinois, then a similar road through Missouri to Iowa and on to just south of Omaha. Takes a bit longer, but there are lots of campgrounds and rest stops, and we enjoy the sights as we drive. This will be our first voyage in the 2016 Town & Country we just bought. We'll be pulling a 2007 FR Flagstaff pup, model 822. That's the one with the great pull-out storage drawer at the front. Couldn't imagine pulling another thing behind it!

bob barnes likes this.
  7. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    I keep a look out and have towed my pup's over 20k miles in 3.5 years and a lot of other road trips, and don't see many pups. A lot of TT and MH's though.

8. jwmark

jwmark New Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Colorado
    Totally feel the same way! My view is if you want it as comfortable as home, then stay home! I too love the sounds of nature, nothing beats sleeping under canvas. We spend all of our time outside, only stay in if the weather requires it. The one benefit I can see though, is the big rigs are much easier to set up, maybe someday I will tire of the setup process of the pup, but not today!

9. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    As I think about this I frankly think people just don't know about popups and how easy and economical they are to pull of course I have been down the 5th big and found big is just too big. I enjoy our A-Liner for one main thing due to its smallness it forces us out to meet people otherwise we set in the a/c watching tv. might as well stay home!

10. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Franklin, NC
    We took a 800 mile road trip this past week from our home in North Carolina to North Florida and back and decided to count campers and RVs.
    We only counted what we saw on road.
    This is the tally:
    TT : 86
    5th Wheels: 25
    Class A : 50
    Class B : 15
    Class C : 33
    PUPs: 6
    Truck Campers: 4
    Half of the trip was on 2 and 4 lane highways and half was on I 75 in south Georgia. We saw most of these big class As and TTs going and coming on I 75. Oh yeah, we saw one of the pups getting a tire change on the side of the road.

11. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    We see plenty of pups, on the road and in campgrounds. Especially when dry camping.

12. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    Just got back from a 4 day trouting trip to Montauk state park saw plenty of those popups nestled in with the motels on wheels!!

13. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    I passed 4 pups as I was heading home from the Sequoias and they were heading up the mountain!

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    We see a lot of PUPS at our fav. State Park it is woodsy and the road and most sites are either dirt or gravel also a 30 ft. limit keeps most of the big boys out. Most are local or from the general N/W Fl Panhandle area and we usually speak the same language too.

15. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Utah
    We camped for a few days at a campground at a very popular fishing/boating lake (Strawberry Reservoir) in Utah this past weekend. I didn't bother counting the rolling mansions, but there were a LOT of them. I saw one Roo hybrid and two other PUPs besides ours out of about 200 total camp sites. Maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the sites were tents, and the rest were big trailers or all-in-one RVs. On the way home, we had a "convoy" with another StarCraft PUP (a Comet) but I'm not sure where they had been camping and we just ended up on the same highway going about the same speed for a while.