PUP To Hybrid Reduced Setup and Packing?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by jonshonda, May 15, 2017.

1. jonshonda

jonshonda Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Yeah, very under the radar SUV. Shares 90% mechanical w/ the 4runner. 4.7 V8, full time 4wd with 4Lo and Locking Center Diff. Downhill Assist, you can turn off the roll over airbags when getting crazy on steep stuff, 2nd gear start for slippery roads, and very good "simulated" front/rear LSD.

Best part is they are usually owned by mall crawling rich moms who take them in to Lexus for every single service exactly when they are supposed to. Lexus quality is second to none, that is why I laugh when someone suggests a GM or Ford product. They don't hold a candle to Lexus for quality of materials and fit-n-finish, reliability, or longevity.

Regarding frontal area, no idea. The 4.7 V8 has a great rep and plenty of power. The 600lb hitch is from Lexus and there is nothing else out there that increases the capacity. WDH should be a non-issue, it's a body on frame SUV. Strong like bull.

2. Adam H

Adam H Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Does it share a 4runner frame also? Does Toyota have a stronger hitch that would work? Reason I ask is I would be concerned that the hitch is not strong enough. A lot of times if the hitch does not mention WD, it is not designed to handle it. How is the hitch mounted? Does the mounting part to the frame extend forward on the frame 12-18 inches or is it just attached to the rear most part? Hard to explain on a forum.
    With modern vehicles power is almost never an issue, I remember my parents towing boats/RV's with 70's sedans with maybe 200hp on a good day and the rear bumper dragging the ground, we survived.... I would research further since you are aware you will be exceeding tongue weight. I've done it plenty of times and survived so I am not grilling you, just research as I did.

Vehicle = more than capable
    Hitch = ?????

Adam