PUP w/o AC using PUGs?

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by AICPlanner, Apr 29, 2015.

1. AICPlanner

AICPlanner 1998 Coleman Bayside Elite

Sep 28, 2014
    I've been searching though the boards here and see a lot of comments on how the PUG's help improve your A/C performance. I, unfortunately, don't have A/C in my PUP. Are there any users out there who don't have A/C and have success with the PUGs? I realize any drop in temperature is helpful in the PUP- just curious as to how noticeable it is in a PUP w/o having an A/C.

Also, my Coleman Bayside has a slide out for the dining area. Should I get the PUG for that as well or just the bunk ends? Thanks!

2. efehser

efehser New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Noticeable temp drop. Nuf said. And yes, get one for the slide out, it will help, and also keep the canvas clean.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We did not have a/c on either of our pups, and have camped into the upper 90s. The PUGs help a lot, though the lower the humidity the more comfortable it is for me at any given temp.
    I was able to compare how much effect the PUGs have side-by-side when we bought our second pup. We live at 6,000' and the pups were in our driveway, with the bunk ends facing west. The old pup had the PUG on the bunk end. We did not yet have PUGs for the new pup, but it had Sunbrella canvas (more breathable than the fabric-backed vinyl on the old one) and more windows, which we had open. The difference in temperature between the two pups was noticeable as I moved things from the old (cooler) one to the new (warmer) one.

I would think having a PUG on the slide out would help too. In some campsites, having the awning out to shade the side of the pup made a difference too.

If we camped someplace with power, we used a small electric fan in really hot weather. We have a 12v Endless Breeze one now too, but when dry camping restrict the use to times when it is really needed.

Yes, having PUGS over the vinyl roof sections also helps with sap, bird poo, dirt, etc.

4. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Apr 22, 2008
    South Jersey
    In a simple phrase. With the PUGS, its the same temp inside the camper as it is outside. Well worth it. To be honest I have a set of homemade ones. I am considering going with the real ones, just for the custom fit. If you want to give it a try, on the cheap, buy a couple of the cheap solar blankets. They are usually about $2-$3. They make a lot of crinkling noise, but it will give you a taste of what they can do for you, then decide to go with either a better quality homemade set or buying a set from PUG's.

5. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

Jul 31, 2014
    What is a PUG?
    [?:~{]

6. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Apr 22, 2008
    South Jersey
    They are reflective covers put on your bunk ends to keep the heat down... (Pop Up Gizmo)

http://popupgizmos.com/
    [​IMG]

7. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I also recommend the super high wind version, if you camp in breezy areas. We had the high wind erosion on the first pup, and our clips popped off on more than one occasion. That's why we bought the SHW version for the next pup, added the Vecro to attach at the roof; our ring mod took care of needing to fasten 20 shock cord ends.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I had a barebones popup no ac/heat etc. I found the inside my trailer got so hot and stuffy in my last trailer there were times I considered sleeping outside. I never bought the pugs themselves but used a couple Emergancy blankets just to see if it would do any good. I did notice a differance in temprature. It wasn't very significant, but it was enough where it was more tolerable. Then again where I live we get a lot of humidity. Which makes things feel so much hotter. In one word, I do suggest something, even if you don't do the PUGS at first. Reflectix on the windows with direct sunlight would also help a lot in keeping the worst of the heat out.

9. AICPlanner

Sep 28, 2014
    Thanks everyone. Placing my order today. :)

10. AICPlanner

Sep 28, 2014
    PUG's just arrived today. Going to give them a test run too as I prep the camper for memorial day. Now if it will only stop raining in Michigan long enough to even do so...

11. AICPlanner

Sep 28, 2014
    Success w/the PUG's. Took us a second to figure them out/install them. Have them on both bunk ends and the slide out.

Camped on the west side of Michigan over the weekend. Saturday was upper 80's and sunny all day- no shade trees in sight. Camper was nice and cool on the inside. Got visits from other PUP owners inquiring about what they were and as soon as they stepped inside were amazed. Note- I don't have A/C so they were even more impressed compared to the hot-box their PUP's had become. Passed along company info to others so hopefully the PUG guys get some business. Cheers!

Attached Files:

12. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

May 5, 2015
    Nice. I took measurements this past weekend at the CG so that i could order mine. Still putting it off ($$$). I will get them, its just a matter of when, lol.

13. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Jun 29, 2010
    You can get the cheapest ones they have for under a hundred bucks. A hundred bucks is easy to save for. Then ditch the clips they give you. Wind will rip them right off. Go get 16 clips from harbor freight for a buck 50 apiece. They will hold on in almost any wind. You will never want to camp without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    How well clips work may depend on the edge of the bunk end they are attached to and the clips themselves. We bought super-duper clips for the first pup, since we had the high wind version PUG from PUG's garage sale, we didn't get clips with it. Even the hefty clamps popped off in some of the winds we experience in the SW.
    The edge of the bunk end on the second pup didn't seem as easy to use clips on, but we had opted for the Super High-wind version by that point - we had even those stretch balloon-like in some winds.