Question about "shore line" and 12v battery charging

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by RB1701, Apr 20, 2017.

1. RB1701

RB1701 New Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Hey all,

Bought a brand new Flagstaff 10 footer at the end of last season, everything worked fine. But we just took our first trip and had a strange problem - we could not get the 12v battery to charge, and it left us without the ability to use the furnace in some very cold weather.

My understanding is that using the 30 amp "shore line" will automatically charge the 12v via the converter. Indeed, last year I remember hearing the converter, located under the seat, rev up a few times to re-charge the battery on a longer trip. But this time, the converter would not engage. The only way to power the battery was to hook up the 7-pin connector to the tow vehicle.

So, what gives here? I have it plugged it right now at home, and still nothing - none of the battery-dependent systems will work. Is there some obvious solution here that I'm not seeing?

Thanks!

2. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Streator, IL
    First thing I would do is to check fuses on the converter and also connections including grounds which could have corroded and lost continuity during winter storage.

3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    yes, the converter should charge the battery when you are plugged in to the power pedestal.
    my 2010 hw277 had a fuse right next to the battery box, it would be a small black plastic box just big enough to fit a 30amp blade fuse in it. the holder had gotten water in it and had gone bad. once we replaced the holder, the battery was able to charge through the convert again.
    since your camper is so new i would take it back to the dealer for this should be a warranty item.

4. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Georgia
    If the only way to get 12V power in the camper is to be connected to the tow vehicle, you may be getting it from the tow vehicle battery. Your camper battery may have died over the winter.

5. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Did you remove the battery for winter storage? If so did you connect the white wire to the negative battery terminal and the black/red wire to positive. If you got it backwards the reverse polarity fuse may have blown.

Have you recycled the 110VAC breakers? The one with the converter on it may have tripped.

6. Fless

Fless Active Member

Hopefully you have a voltmeter and can check the battery voltage, with and without connecting it to the camper. If you don't have one, I would bet that a close friend would have one and could help you check some things.

Disconnected and fully charged the battery should read higher than 12.5 volts or so; after re-connecting it to the camper (with shore power) check the voltage; if it's being charged by the camper it should be in the high 13v or low 14v range. If the voltage stays the same as it was when disconnected then the camper is not charging and it's time to look at the fuses and do some more electrical testing. Many times there is a reverse polarity protection fuse on or near the converter for times when the battery is mistakenly connected backwards.

Disconnect the battery and fully charge it with a good quality external battery charger. Then have it load-tested at your local automotive parts store. If it passes, take it back to the camper and do the tests above.

Lloyd B likes this.