Rathtrevor Provincial Park- Vancouver Island, British Columbia

Discussion in 'British Columbia' started by equilibrium, Aug 21, 2013.

1. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Rathtrevor Provincial Park in Parksville, British Columbia [CAN] (On Vancouver Island)
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/rathtrevor/

Parksville is a nice little seaside town 5 minutes drive away. There is a lot of nearby activities like mini-golfing or visiting other beaches. Moderate sized grocery stores and liquor stores are a short drive into town but just outside of the park there is a small "log cabin" store with gas (?) and groceries.

The important:

-Reservations are required during the summer months up until Labour Day. Weekends are booked up most of the time! You have to reserve up to three months in advance.
    -Vehicle Accessible and some walk in/cycle in sites (not as private)
    -No boat launch directly in the park.
    -No power that I am aware of. Set generator use times.
    -Water taps are available and water is drinkable [:)O]

How much?

-Most are vehicle accessible sites currently at $30 per night plus the standard BC Prov Park reservation fee ($6 per night up to $18 or something per site) during the summer.
    -Winter camping (I believe is after Labour Day) is $11 and is first come first served and some services/facilities are shut down)
    -Second vehicles (not towed) are half night's camp fee up to $12 per night.
    -If there is no "fireban" on you can purchase firewood from the main gatehouse. It cost us $7 a tote or $18 for 3 totes full.

Atmosphere:

-Family-friendly.
    -Has a great playground and bike park (dirt, hills like a bmx track) and a bike trials little trail around the playground (with steps, a log, bumps, etc for kids to practice). Has small rock climbing wall. Very nice upkeep. Has park program "Jerry's Rangers" and a Nature House that is open in the summer 10am-5pm. Park has the family fun program run in the evenings at 730 (I think) at the amphitheatre in the park/campground. A huge attraction for the families who camp at Rathtrevor.
    -Dog-friendly if they are on leash although no dogs are allowed on the beaches at this provincial park. Lots of places to walk on trail, or on pavement in the campground with the doggies.
    -Quiet time is designated something like 10pm to 7am but once 9 pm hits here it's pretty quiet.
    -Security patrols and occasional police presence just as the nearby town is a resort town.
    -The park facility operator is called RLC I believe and although I'm not sure when they began their contract for the BC parks in our area but the upkeep /cleanliness/security-such as no extra cars, parties, etc have improved greatly.
    -If you want to play loud music or parties, or just don't want the chance to hear kids crying occasionally, a dog barking etc-this place wouldn't be for you.

Scenery and Recreation in the Park:

-Kids will love the playground, bike area. If you have a toddler with a balance bring -bring it!
    -Nice walking trails in the park, along the beach. Great picnicking areas but not much shade on the beach so bring your suntent.
    -Quiet activities like bicycling, walking, scootering (ie/ no dirt bikes or atvs), swimming, beachcombing.
    -Beaches have mixed sand and rocks depending on where along the park you go. Kids can get by without having shoes on in some places on the beach (not overrun with barnacles).
    -At the camping entry of the park to the right there are open grassy areas, an area for walk in camping, a playground out near the beach. Lots of areas to play with a ball or frisbee.
    -Family Program at 230pm and 730pm. (interpretive program/Jerry's Rangers) (free but donations are accepted as it runs entirely on donations from campers, I believe).
    -Lots of trees (a lot of shade inside the park)

Other Details:

-Alcohol must be consumed only in your campsite.
    -No smoking outside of your campsite, I think? Might want to double check this if it's important to you.
    -Shower buildings (included in your campsite fee), flush toilets and pit toilets.
    -Sani Dump I think is $5 each dump.
    -Water all around park in taps, garbage and recycling is taken to near the shower buildings.
    -The gravel placed in the sites is relatively sharp. If you are tenting bring an extra tarp for underneath!
    -Some provincial parks sell ice but I am not sure about this one.
    -Bike Rentals! Cruiser bikes, kid bikes and strider bikes. All reasonable prices as I recall ($5 an hr, $20 per half day, or $30 per day up to 9pm) BUT it requires a $250 credit card deposit for an adult bike rental. I did not ask about the children's bikes.

Links that might be of interest:

http://www.bcferries.com/
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/visiting/
    http://goo.gl/maps/xRbKF
    http://bcwildfire.ca/hprscripts/wildfirenews/bans.asp

Dennett likes this.
  2. Hutch85

Hutch85 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Great review, equilibrium - thanks!

3. reidsd

reidsd Kelowna, B.C.

An excellent review. For those not familiar with this park, it is located on the eastern side of Vancouver Island on the Georgia Strait. There are some great tides but water tends to be warmer and calmer than the the Pacific Ocean on the west side of the island. A back-up park would be Miracle Beach which is on the same side of the island but farther north, between Comox and Campbell River.

Enjoy.

Scott