Really weird canvas idea

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Wintercamper1998, Dec 1, 2018.

Cover with rubber coating?

1. Yes, use flex seal.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Yes, other coating.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, explain please.

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. Wintercamper1998

Wintercamper1998 New Member

Nov 26, 2018
    So I bought a cheap used camper and I'm so sick of everything leaking... and I mean everything. I've been patching up their crap patch jobs on the canvas with flexseal and it's done a great job keeping water out.... my question is if theres any downsides to just covering the interior of the canvas with it completely? (Or with some other rubber sealant) I've read a couple things of people having problems with it sticking to itself but its rarely moved at the moment and I could always fix that issue easily. And I'm talking just covering the canvas with it not the vinyl.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Did you try waterproofing it first?

3. Wintercamper1998

Wintercamper1998 New Member

Nov 26, 2018
    The point is so I dont have to waterproof it all the time. And for some reason my dumbass dogs keep trying to lick it which messes with it. There were a bunch of holes when I bought it which they crappy patched and were leaking so it's got a bunch of spots already sprayed with flexseal anyways.

4. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Well you might be the first to do it. Lol , let us know how it works out. Since you allready spot sprayed it, why not finish the job. Did you try to remove the flex seal in case it dosent work?

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I, too, have heard of people using Flex Seal on their pup, but then I heard from folks that did use it and were very sorry that they did. They said that it starts to crack after a while and will cause more problems than it will solve.

6. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I did a quick search and found really no one applying it to canvas. A few did backpacks, but no word on longevity. I did read about how under the sun it cracks. But who knows! Waterproofing is the same amount of work also eaither way you still have to paint it. As to how often thats the million dollar question.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Remember, the canvas has to be flexible enough to fold away inside the camper, under the lid.

Sounds like a you're putting a lot into this where perhaps a partial replacement of your canvas (like just the bunkends) would be the correct long term solution.

Toedtoes and kitphantom like this.
  8. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    I sprayed this waterproofing spray from walmart on my 1986 Starcraft with very dry canvas, it made it very soft and completely waterproof, even the screens kept the water out unless there was wind.

I would not use flex seal on anything, it has a lot of convincing marketing, but all the reviews on the pup pages/groups is that it does not hold up at all.

Screenshot 2018-12-01 at 7.16.33 PM.png

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    no flexseal

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Knowing what type of fabric, age, and what you've done to it might help answer. Also, where it's leaking, under what conditions, and so on. I wouldn't trust Flexseal for such usage. A good water proofing, such as one of the 303 products or a silicone one may work. I've even heard of folks using Thompson water seal on cotton canvas wall tents.
    At some point, the canvas just needs replacement. Some, such as the Evolution used in some '80s pups just disintegrate, there is not fix.
    Remember, if you make it completely water proof, as opposed to water resistant, you have to extra careful to maintain air circulation inside, or you will get condensation. We humans (and the pets we may bring camping) put out a lot of water vapor, as does cooking and the like. It can be bad enough under some conditions to seem as though the canvas is leaking, when it is not. We noticed a big difference in the amount of condensation, under similar weather conditions, between the original (breathable) Evolution fabric in our first pup and the fabric-back vinyl replacement canvas. Our second pup had Sunbrella canvas walls, so it was breathable, and it was easier to keep the condensation down. (Even then, at times, it was interesting - in a snow storm, with fog, and temps in the teens to low 30s, using an electric space heater to supplement the furnace, I found ice behind the bunk end liners when we broke camp after a few days.)

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Why don't you just cover the camper with a tarp? I cover mine with a tarp and my canvas doesn't even leak.

jnc, BillyMc and Dan from Troup like this.
  12. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    If the canvas can’t breathe it’s gonna rain every morning in your camper

13. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    Do they still make a total canvas replacement for your camper?

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    what PopupSteve said... canvas needs to be folded for setdown. That was my first thought if flexseal was applied to canvas and dried... no way to fold. And if flexseal was applied, the edges where the flexseal aren't applied, it would be ripped off by the weight of flex seal and the wind may blow against it rather than through canvas. I love Flexseal but would not use it on canvas or clothing.

15. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    This stuff is good. Used it on many boots and coats.

16. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Now there’s a smart man. Tarps are cheap. I used Seam Grip to seal up a few pin holes on mine. As for flex seal, I hear it’s a low quality product and is really not suitable for anything. As far as I’m concerned, if anything is sold through tv infomercials, it’s garbage.

Haybale likes this.
  17. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    I treated ours with Starbrite Waterproofer in March 2018 and so far no leaks even in heavy downpours. I misted until completely damp twice and have plenty for at least another treatment or more left. Be aware that it has a strong odor. Treat it away from your home and be prepared to leave it up and open windows as much as weather allows for a while. It took several days for it to be odor free.

18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    how many cans of 303 could cover whole Coleman 12' box popup?

19. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    The 303 comes in a container like the star brite. I used the star brite on mine worked fine. I rolled mine on with a small paint roller.

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM