REcycling paper for logs!

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by sekmomof4, Aug 20, 2015.

1. sekmomof4

sekmomof4 New Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Since we moved to a small town 4 yrs ago, that has no recycling program, I have been going out of my mind having to toss everything. (ok not my plastic stuff- WalMart takes that) And now that I have two kids in school, the amount of paper we collect is ridiculous! But while I was surfing pinterest for camping ideas, I came across a way to make paper logs!! So now I've got a bin set up in the mud room for all our paper/paperboard/cardboard items to go into! Once I have enough I will be soaking it all for a day or two in water, then squishing it into a form, and pressing out the excess water. Drying will take some time, but even if the weather is nasty, I can dry them in the greenhouse. I plan on making a bunch of these to take with us instead of a large amt of wood. I also have a bag to put all our lint and toilet paper tubes to make fire starters! I will try to update down the road about the process and using them. [CF]

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I had a newspaper log roller once. It made great logs for the fire place, however do not use the Sunday comics, the ink is supposed to be poisonous. You can also use a dowel rod to wrap them too, I used cotton cord to tie them for drying and it burns along with the logs.. Good luck on the project.

3. sekmomof4

sekmomof4 New Member

Aug 14, 2015
    we don't get the paper. [:O] [:I] not even sure any family in town get it either.. But yes that would be good too!

4. 87ColemanLaramie

87ColemanLaramie Member

Apr 27, 2015
    NJ
    I've used empty paper towel rolls stuffed with paper from my shredder for makeshift logs. Poke a few holes in the paperboard and loosely pack the rolls for air circulation. They make great fire starters. Also a good way to get rid of junk mail.

5. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    I tried those on a small scale. Shred the paper then mulch it up. Put in a bucket with slits and compress it with another bucket.

It did not bur for crap, and it dried for a long while. It just smoldered and smelled like garbage.

I had thought about making more and use with wood or to add wax flakes or some sort of oil to add a little fuel.

Hopefully you have better luck.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I used to soak the papers in water with dawn soap added, then used an antique roller (dowel works good too) roll it tight around the roller and tie both ends with string. let it dry and it burns like a log. Do not use the Sunday funnies, the colored ink supposed to put off fumes that are not good.

7. infernisdiem

infernisdiem Member

Mar 24, 2017
    A few types of logs I want to try to make are the news paper logs, and coffee ground logs. Though the paper log instructions I saw said soak the paper for a day or two, then use a paint mixer to chop it up some, then pour the mixture into a press and squeeze the heck out of it. Then free from press and let dry. As for the coffee grounds, I saw some thing about letting them dry, filters included, and stuffing them into an egg crate and pouring wax over it to "seal" them. I want to see if I can make large logs out of both for camping, and for heating my home

8. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    I would be careful of burning to much wax in a wood stove, it may leave a lot of soot in the chimney.

9. infernisdiem

infernisdiem Member

Mar 24, 2017
    I'll probably use them to start the fire in the morning then. But I keep getting odd ball suggestions about keeping the chimney clean during burning season, one was the throw in a block of wax/boy of crayons, another was to climb onto the roof and gently run a tow chain around the inside of the chimney, and the most outrageous one, throw a couple of dead D batteries in the fire. How D battery guy hasn't blown up his wood stove is beyond me