Recycling, reuse...just do it!

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by JLE, May 10, 2019.

1. JLE

JLE New Member

I'm new here and maybe members know this, but we just figured out on a recent 6 weeks camping in SW States, that National Parks and Monuments in USA always have recycling bins. State parks and other local areas rarely do. We always collect our bottles, cans and plastic in a bin, and take them with us until we locate a recycling spot rather than throwing them out when packing up.

We also try to avoid plastic plates/cutlery and clean dishes as we would in our own home. I limit use of paper towels except to wipe really messy/greasy dishes, and have had the same plates/cutlery for ten years -- it's still going fine. And NO plastic WATER BOTTLES...it is so easy to have a blue bin of fresh water on hand, and/or refillable water bottles. We keep two filled water bottles in the car, and one by the sink or a cup handy to use the tap water.

Our 25+ son constantly reminds us of our responsibilities in that we all have to start cutting back on so much non-reusable products. The trash bins of the world are overflowing...and there are so many better alternatives to single-use plastic wrap and other unnecessary waste. Just do it! Camping is a great way to get back to basics and seeing first hand in our beautiful parks the need to work harder for the next generation.

Good luck with your clean camping!

2. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Good work!

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I agree. I also have taught my kids and grandkids to "leave it cleaner than you found it".

Orchid and WrkrBee like this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Are you trying to avoid clean dishes?

Milemaker13 and Orchid like this.
  5. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I am making a "patio mat" out of plastic grocery bags. Much heavier than I expected, but free.

6. SueH8

SueH8 New Member

Kudos

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Really? Show us . Lol. Im not going to do it but interested!
    As for recycling, we try to do as much as we can, but there is unknowns as with everthing. Thats in life , as in the pup. Do your best and its better then most. I hated the plastic bags when they came out and still do. That was 30 years ago. I still get paper at the store, and reuse for other purposes around the house. There is stuff we can controll ,and other stuff we cant or will not. Im not pushing those issues, just conserve when you can. We all waste and pollute, its the nature of man( woman) its unavoidable. I do reuse and buy at flee markets goodwill when i can. I refinish junk and use it for years. I do also have airconditioning, cars , heat , electric and tow a pup, so thats a negative. I do throw recycling in the bins( less now that they changed the rules because of china) , tey not to waste water , and dont buy throw away stuff at home. I dont rinse and wash certian recyclables because the waste in wayer , washing and treating the water is probably worse then recycling it. But you do what you can, it will not save the world , but might make it last a few years more.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I will when it's finished. I have a long way to go. I split the bags down each side, and braid them. 18 bags is a good 1.5-2 hours of work. Then I hand crochet the braided ropes into a "blanket" shape. I'm about 5 rows in right now.

Chloe and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

There are some local people that make those as sleeping mats for the homeless. I think it's an awesome use of bags! I don't know how they do it, but have seen pictures of the final product. Being in Florida, we have lots of "permanent" homeless camps around.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

We agree, we try to have minimal trash. We bring some water bottles with us but always bring everything with us to recycle properly. We use real plates and dishes that we wash on the site. The trash buildup can become a nuiscance when camping anyway! So we keep it at a bare minimum when we can. Nothings worse than those foam coolers I see sometimes!

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We have a 32-foot TT so someone can make a fair argument about our green priorities based just on the fuel used to drag it around.

Having said that, I've considered myself a conservationist since I learned what the word meant. We try to be responsible at home and at the campground.

One of the things that just makes me shake my head is seeing two or three cases of bottled water stacked up at a campsite. All of those bottle inevitably end up in the trash.

If your primitive camping or a cupcake that thinks the water at the campground doesn't taste good or is somehow unsafe, there are alternatives. We have an orange 5-gallon water cooler like the lawn cutters and construction workers use. We'll usually put a gallon or two of water in at home then add a couple bags of ice when we get near the campground. This provides more than enough drinking water for DW and me.

Disposable plates, cups and silverware fall into the same category. Heck I even buy beer in aluminum cans. There is a recycle center next door to where we store our camper so I just drop everything off when were heading home.

I could go on but I think (hope) you get the idea.

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I don't buy bottled water. At home or camping. I drink water exclusively. Tap water. I have multiple reusable water bottles. At work I use a 52 ounce Bubba mug.

When camping I fill my fresh water tank with tap water from home. I drink from it. If I run low, I use the campground water.

In the FnR, I have several 2.5 water jugs. I fill them up at home with tap water. I use one for the bird exclusively (they are sensitive so I don't want to give him unknown water).

I use corelle and regular utensils and wash them. I rarely use hookups. So the worst I do is the fuel consumption.

13. 2oothguy

2oothguy New Member

Interesting topic for sure.. The key is not to recycle. The key is reuse, if we are recycling then we are the problem. Buying plastic products and putting them in a recycling can hoping that the company or city is going to recycle them is a dream that makes us all feel good. The fact is that most of the time they can't even sell all the plastic they get. Or while they are holding on to it waiting for the market to come up, it ends up in our waters and land. If we want to make a difference then the key is not to use it at all. Then company's will be forced to use reusable containers, like they did back in the day. Because that's what we want. Taking our containers and refilling them. But myself like others like convence and the ease of these so called recyclable products. Heck next time you go out to eat, take your own containers to bring home leftovers. Or when you go to the Deli hand them a cloth napkin and tell them to put your meat or cheese in that. They will look at you like your a lunatic. But that's when I say put it in here or keep it. This is the way to save the planet.
    I'm glad to see that you all are trying to reuse and reduce the plastic consumption that is slowly distroying our world.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...sa0IZgNUdRAoaTvId&ampcf=1&cshid=1558408702135

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/03/china-has-stopped-accepting-our-trash/584131/

kcsa75 and Tulip like this.
  14. Tulip

Tulip Member

We do some similar things. We don't buy bottled water unless it's an absolute camping emergency. We bring some from home for drinking and if we run out we boil and run it though a Brita filter if we need to.
    We buy food in bulk using our own containers or from the farmers market or coop ( less packaging) as much as possible and preserve/can/make a lot of food from scratch both to limit our food footprint and plastics/recyclables. We use reusable or cooler bags instead of plastic grocery bags as a regular practice. We have a big garden and chickens and we had bees but they didn't make it through the winter.
    As much as possible we buy thrifted items, or aim for higher quality things were possible to reduce waste. In lots of ways I try to consume in the way my grandmothers would have.

2oothguy likes this.
  15. 2oothguy

2oothguy New Member

Sorry to here about your bees, that's a bummer. That is the way to try to live like our grandparents did. Being thrifty and reusing making things last as long as possible. [:D]