Refrigerator Baffle and Fan Mod (finally!)

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by SirLancelot, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    I understand that.

The switch for my fan is in the fridge compartment. If when I am lighting the fridge burner, I consider it hot enough that I may need the extra cooling efficiency provided by the fan, I turn the fan on. It then runs until I shut things down at the end of the camping trip.

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    I don't recall casting dispersions on or even calling your knowledge of heat transfer into account, but having sat on vinyl covered seats a time or two myself, I can certainly appreciate where you're coming from. [;)]

As I said, I have window screen behind the vents to keep bugs out, so it limits the airflow considerably. That in mind, it's pretty easy to see where one fan didn't do the trick but two fans spelled success.

Were I to remove the screen or replace it with a loose mesh, perhaps one fan might work. Being that I don't boondock and only ever book serviced campsites, conserving power is pretty much a non-issue. Leaving the window screen in place means I don't have to worry about spiders or mud daubers getting inside the fridge compartment to build nests and clog up the burner.

expense.
    THIS!^ I followed Ray's lead. Day or night, rain or shine, not having to bother with turning them on and off and being able to reliably maintain a constant 2 degrees Celcius (35.6 F) was well worth the added expense. It may well be overkill, and I'm by no means the consummate expert, I'm just saying this is what I did and it works for me.

3. BoomJammer

BoomJammer Jason

May 17, 2012
    Dubbya,
    Thanks for the specific part number information. When I get around to doing a refrigerator fan mod, I would like to include this thermostat. It seems like an elegant feature to have.

I see the thermostats are discussed more here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=55929.0

??? I thought these were 12V DC fans, no? Pro'lly just a typo, right?

Last questions for Dubbya (and others with a thermostat control on their fans): did you include a manual switch for your fans as well? ...so that you could positively turn the fans off if you didn't want them running, e.g, if you weren't planning to use the refrigerator you could leave the fans off too? Alternatively, would there ever be a case where the thermostat would keep the fans off when you would really want them on? ...maybe when turning the refrigerator on in order to accelerate the initial cool down?

4. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    I haven't yet added an on/off switch for the fans themselves, I just turn off the fridge. The fans don't run because there's no heat to activate the thermall switch when the fridge is turned off.

5. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Member

Sep 28, 2010
    My fan claims to move 70+cfm. As for the baffle, I don't have upper and lower access doors for the fridge compartment. Just one big access door with upper and lower vents. I positioned the baffle to block off the upper vent and to direct the air through the fins as pictured.

I then used layers of duct tape to further seal up the upper sides and further direct airflow through the fins only. I suppose I could try a bit more on the right side near the stack or whatever the vertical column is called, but the addition off the baffle alone made a remarkable difference. I have no doubt it works. The fan just seemed very unimpressive...

6. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Member

Sep 28, 2010
    My fan claims to move 70+cfm. As for the baffle, I don't have upper and lower access doors for the fridge compartment. Just one big access door with upper and lower vents. I positioned the baffle to block off the upper vent and to direct the air through the fins as pictured.

I then used layers of duct tape to further seal up the upper sides and further direct airflow through the fins only. I suppose I could try a bit more on the right side near the stack or whatever the vertical column is called, but the addition off the baffle alone made a remarkable difference. I have no doubt it works. The fan just seemed very unimpressive...

7. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Jun 21, 2012
  8. BoomJammer

BoomJammer Jason

May 17, 2012
    Very interesting. But why would anybody use AC powered fans for the refrigerator mod? They would only work on shore power, right?

9. BigBaron

Jun 21, 2012
    I have to use a step-down transformer (220V to 110V) in Korea, so I have these fans in the compartment the transformer is in.
    When the transformer is on, the fans are on.
    My fridge fans are going to be 12V DC, initially just switched, but when I can source the thermal switch Dubbya shows, I'll put one of those in too.

10. BigBaron

Jun 21, 2012
    Is is just a thermally activated on/off switch, or does it require power? I remember seeing somewhere the word "click" switch, which implies the former.

11. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    It's a 12v switch. You'd wire it up to power, then run the lead back to your 12v fans.

You can find 120v switches too.

They're called thermal snap disk switches which are activated by changes in temperature. Heat expands the disk inside the switch, forcing it to "snap" closing the connection. As it cools, it "snaps" again, opening the connection.

You run a power lead to the switch, then run it back from the switch to your powered appliance, in this case, fans.

So simple, it's ingenious.

12. BigBaron

Jun 21, 2012
    Thanks! :D

13. BigBaron

Jun 21, 2012
  14. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I'm thinking about using a 120v fan that I can just plug in the bottom compartment.

I'm not quite sure if the baffle needs to be improved, but the fans alone should help, or at least I'm thinking so!