Removable A/C unit?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Singler3360, Feb 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Singler3360

Singler3360 New Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Has anyone designed a modular removable A/C frame with hatch door to replace it when it’s not in position? I'd like to be able to add or remove the unit from the side of the Aliner without much fuss and fill the space in with a hatch door that is sealed and secure.

On many of our trips with our Aliner Ranger 12, we don’t need the factory installed A/C unit. Also, on bumpy roads the side wall near the door tends to pull away from its anchors in the cabinet.

If anyone else has thought of this idea, please share your design and implementation ideas!

Thanks,
    Rob

2. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Isn't this a great site .......

4. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    The Quicksilvers had this in their early years, don't know if they still do. The AC was mounted on slides on the floor and slid out through an exterior hatch door.

5. Singler3360

Singler3360 New Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Thanks for the link. I had read this DIY before but was hoping to design a system that allowed it to optionally stay in place while underway.

6. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

Apr 28, 2012
    My friend is tired of replacing the AC. Those LG/Haier AC are not worth a crap. Road vibration soon cause a leak inside. My AC is a Goldstar, it still works after 6 years but I am considered it a miracle. If it fails someday, I will replace with a hardcover since Goldstar no longer make AC.

7. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    This is the kind of thinking that the Aliner designers need to be doing. Instead, they trot out yet another travel trailer to an already glutted market, but sawed it in half as their innovation.

8. Wakita46

Wakita46 Member

Mar 15, 2013
    I've been through 2 A/C units in my Aliner in 4 years. The kit supposedly cushions it from vibration but I don't think it works at all.
    The last one only lasted a few weeks. I am planning on getting a portable A/C. They are free standing and connect with the outside through a hose. I would just haul it along when I needed it. I haven't figured out yet how to cushion it against vibration but I'm sure I can figure something out. It would be easy to replace on the road unlike the one that is pop riveted in.

9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Strap it in a passenger seat!

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    If there is a propane powered fridge, why not with A/C?

11. jeicher

jeicher Member

Sep 17, 2011
    A gas powered fridge is a small well insulated compartment. To have enough cooling for air conditioning the condenser/evaporator unit would be huge. Not saying it could not be done, but both the size and propane usage would make it impracticable.

12. Singler3360

Singler3360 New Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Agreed. It seems the quality and innovation is over in the yacht/sailboat aisle, over in Europe, or too high end in North America for me to know about. For example, the Propex furnace I installed in my previous campervan was far superior to these Atwood and Suburban furnace models that are everywhere here in the USA. But I digress from my original post. Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

13. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Why do AC units fail too quickly in the Aliner? Have anyone done a failure analysis? I suspect a leak somewhere in the thin tube. if we know where it is, perhaps, we can reinforce this area with solution like potting with epoxy, or braze in something, or adding rubber to dampen the road vibration. Who has a failed AC and want to tinker?

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    In 1960's one needs a very large room for computer CPU. Now it can be narrowed down to 4"X4"x2" for a computer cpu. now why not with A/C? Who wants to do this?

jnc likes this.