Removing a sink

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by neosullivans, Jan 22, 2017.

1. neosullivans

neosullivans New Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Has anyone ever just completely removed the sink in their pop up? Are you glad you did or do you regret it? We never use ours, don't have the grey water system hooked up and it doesn't have an electric pump, you have to manually pump it. We brush teeth in the campground bathroom and wash dishes in a dish pan on the picnic table or at the campground bathrooms.
    I think the extra counter space and storage space would be nice but I don't want to do it if there is some reason that I am going to regret it that I am not thinking about. We will probably use the camper until it is of no use to anyone so I am not really worried about resale value.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    If you don't use it and you don't plan on selling pull it out. But save it in case you do ever want to sell it

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our sink has a cutting board that makes a flush counter top when we are not using it. Maybe try to get one of these, rather than removing it, to keep your options open.

[​IMG]

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We removed the sinks in both of our popups, since we needed the counter space a lot more than the tiny sinks. We renovated the first popup, so added a new counter top. For the second one, we just made a top that covered that section of the counter. We kept the sinks and gave them to the new owners when we sold the pups.
    Neither of the pups had handy water "systems", it was just a lot easier to keep our usual routines developed from ground camping. We did use a PUR dispenser for water inside.

Note: We did camp a couple of times before deciding to remove the first sink. We assumed we'd use the sink and not the stove. It turned out exactly opposite. Now that we have a small TT, we did keep the sink in it, since it has a few more amenities than either of our pups.

Here's the pic of the counter we added to the second pup:

[​IMG]new shelf by Andrea Vaughan, on Flickr

5. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    We removed our sink and stove. We have an outdoor kitchen setup that works really well for us, and I enjoy the room we gained by removing them. I will admit that we did not keep them (they were in terrible shape and did not work) and we do not miss them at all. My best advice is camp a few times in it so you can figure out what will work for you.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I have some good friends that did this. They never used either, so just made it into a solid counter top.

Since they still live in WV, we have not camped with them since they've had their PUP. I have no idea what they use the counter for. Since they don't prepare food in there, it seems like you really wouldn't need any extra counters. Either way, it looks really nice. They painted all the interior white, put in the plank faux wood floor and nice counters.

They had camped in theirs 3 years prior to making the decision to remove them, so they were sure they would not ever use them. Everyone has their own camping style, so you just have to decide what that is for you.

Personally, I don't do ANYTHING on my vehicle, camper, house, property, or anything - to maintain value for resale. I live comfortably how I want to live, rather that be conventional or not.

I could not live without our sink, as I'm somewhat of a chronic hand washer. Now we have a bathroom, so it's even more important. Even prior to having one, I wash my hands a lot. Even tent camping, we had a 5 gallon jug with spigot on the edge of picnic table with bucket under it for hand washing. Unfortunately, I've passed it on to 2 of my 4 for kids. We are a bit overkill about it.

7. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @Orchid - neither water supply and sink design in our pups would have been helpful for washing hands . It was easier just to stick with our usual jugs, baby wipes, and hand sanitizer.

But I do suggest that people camp in the camper before deciding to rip items out, or even add them. On our tiny first pup, we really did try to use the sink. The faucet didn't work and the water "tank" to supply it could only be accessed when the galley was flipped, so we passed those by. DH made a platform for a water jug, so it worked at the sink, and we used the sink on a couple of trips. Really not worth the bother, and it meant we had to have two gray water jugs, one where we cooked, the other under the drain (no gray water tank).
    I have to admit that having a useful sink and water system that works - and a hot water tank - in the TT has been very nice. However, we also appreciate knowing we can camp without using the water system. Our first trip last year was early and the lows were predicted to be in the 20s long enough to endanger the pipes, so we reverted to tent/pup camping style.

8. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    We removed our sink system - a flip over one that flips onto the bunk for fold down. We have never used the water system at all in our camper. We have only cooked in our camper once in the Tetons - chilli. We use a 7 gal water container and separate tubs for dish washing. We use the bathrooms for washing hands and teeth brushing as needed. If there are no bathrooms, we just brush our teeth in the woods. Our camper is primarily a place to sleep and store our stuff, take a nap, read or relax. We do all of the other stuff outdoors. It is a great change of pace from the home life.

9. neosullivans

neosullivans New Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Good idea on saving it! It won't take up much room in the garage attic :)

10. neosullivans

neosullivans New Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Didn't think of that, good idea and thanks for the picture!!

11. neosullivans

neosullivans New Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Thanks so much for the pic, that looks really nice! What kind of wood did you use and what did you seal it with? My husband is very handy but if someone did something and it worked might as well do it the same way!

12. neosullivans

neosullivans New Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! We have camped in ours at least 8 times in the last 5 years and had trips from weekends to 10 days and have never used it. We have done some backpacking and tent camping so maybe the sink is just too much luxury for us [:D]

13. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We used a shelf blank from Lowe's. My husband cut it to size, routed the edges so they were rounded over and finished it with a few coats of polyurethane.

We ground camped and backpacked for a couple of decades before using the pup most of the time. (DH still backpacks.) That's why we had good equipment and the routine of cooking and washing up outside. The pup extended our season, and gave us a retreat in lousy weather. We managed to wash up inside a few times with our dishpans/gray water bucket set-up even in the small pup.

14. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Buda, TX
    For those that use dishpans to wash in, what do you do with the water?

15. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Follow the rules of the campground you are camping in. TX state parks require grey water to taken to the dump station/toilet. However, since I have been told multiple times to dump grey water around whatever trees they are trying to get started, that's what I do. Particularly in the summer. Grey water from the trailer is taken to the dump station.

Of course you could just do what the tenters do, dump it in the bushes.

16. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    My NTM Forester Flagstaff pup had an indoor/outdoor stove and a small flip-up sink. I removed both, since I prefer to cook and wash dishes outdoors. Removing the fresh water and grey water tanks gave me bonus storage space. It also gave me space to add an L-shaped bench in front of the forward bunk (as seen in the top four pics) when I replaced all of my cabinets:

[​IMG]

17. momofEAP

momofEAP Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Strawhouse, I can't see your picture but am really interested in what you did. Would it be possible to post them a different way? Thanks!

18. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Those pics were posted before the changes on the Photo Bucket page. I don't recall the original pics I posted, but I hope these help:
    IMG_4565.JPG IMG_4561.JPG

Here are my before/after pics:

IMG_4449.JPG

19. momofEAP

momofEAP Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Thank you Stawhouse! That helps a lot! Have you ever regretted taking those out! I am really wanting to do this but lots of people mention resale value. However, I don't see us selling it for many many years but ya know "never say never".

20. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

May 8, 2015
    Upstate New York
    We took our sink, water tank and stove out. Never miss it as we 90% of the time dry camp and we like cooking outside the pup. I did save all the pieces in the event I sell the pup in the future.