Removing one bunk end for ease of set up/take down?

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by lisadunphy, Nov 29, 2017.

1. lisadunphy

lisadunphy New Member

Aug 15, 2015
    I have a 1990 Jayco 1006. Roof AC and pump faucet, nothing but shore power. I am in the beginning stages of planning a cross county trip which will, I assume, have me staying at truck stops or rest stops. I'll have my dog with me and want to spend as little time as possible in hotels and such, for the money savings mostly. I don't plan on being any place more than a few days.
    Here is the issue. Traveling solo, it is a huge pain in the butt to set up and take down, and I doubt I can do that at a truck stop anyway. My front-side bunk is huge and heavy, so I was thinking about removing that bunk and using the tent fabric to create a wall and just seal it up that way. I feel like being able to stay hooked up and having only one bed to deal with will greatly improve my mobility, and will cut down on weight as well. I have seen some single bunk pop ups but I paid next to nothing for mine and have re-decorated the inside completely, so I don't want to get rid of her.
    The smaller rear bed is way easier to deploy and then the trailer will be able to stay hooked up to my Ranger. Has anyone done this mod to their two-bunk pop up? I know I will be losing space for people and stuff, but I was planning on possible building some shelves as well.

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I wonder if you could move the rear bunk to the front and have only one small bunk on the front.

3. lisadunphy

lisadunphy New Member

Aug 15, 2015
    I thought of that but my camper is so old and the canvas so fragile and worn that I feel like the act of taking it down may be the end of it. When I get a tear or hole in it now I use a fun sunbrella fabric and cut a piece in the shape of a flower and glue it on!

4. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    I thought about doing it myself, but it would be bit of work to get the fabric re-cut and sewn to suit the new flat end.
    It will also need a rail to hold the canvas at the bottom similar to the sides.
    It would also be nice to put a window in the end so that would also complicate things.
    My cost estimates did not look very good, so I gave it a miss.
    But anything can be done. Just takes time and money!

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Will one bunk save that much time? But I'm sure it can be done.

6. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    It will in that you could leave the unit attached to the tow vehicle and not have to unhitch and put down the stabilisers etc for what will be just a sleep.
    But for a single female it may be setting your self up, in a truck stop or secluded area.
    Very easy just to pull the canvas off to get access inside.

7. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Interesting idea and sounds doable. I'm trying to visualize the front panel. I imagine that the canvas will come from the side and go around the roof support arm before making a 90 degree bend to go across the front of the PUP. On my PUP that would have meant the front panel would be about 10 inches inches behind the front box wall. You might need to consider velco or snaps along the bottom of the front panel to keep the canvas in place.
    Good luck. I'd love to see pictures if you decide to do this.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    If it is just you and your dog travelling across country then you should remove both bunks. You could modify the inside to have a single bed somewhere. With no bunks, set up would be quick.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    It only take 30 seconds to set up one bunkend for me. When I do solo camping, i just use the other bunkend as "storage" area for my duffle bag, and food. I would rather keep the bunkend and it helps keep the roof balanced as it holds both bunkends. If one is gone, the roof may lean to one side where the one bunkend is. Might need to reinforce the braces that hold up roof and to keep it from leaning to one side. that would cost more money as well.

10. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Good point, to compensate for this, strutting internally would be a real pain.
    This would possibly take the form of a couple of diagonal tubes, make easy install brackets to fit top and bottom, end fitting on tubes with maybe some sort of adjustment like a turnbuckle? Then they have to allow for clearing the lift posts. Yeah a lot of work.
    Although if you have a one piece door like the rockwood we have, it may hold it well enough without extra mods.
    Looking around myself, all the single bunk models have the rear bunk removed, and only the front bunk, which is not what you want any way!