Renovation to my first Starcraft

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Turbulent, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

I'm 2 weeks away from my first trip of 2019 and I'm nearing the finish line of a little renovation.
    I wont be able to get to everything before the trip and will have to tackle curtains and cushions some time during the year. So far I've been able to:
    • Paint cabinets
    • "repaired" a cabinet (next to toilet) which when purchased was badly chipped in corner and bubbled. Tried wood filler and didnt work well. Bondo gave me the best result. Still think i need to sand a bit more. I see imperfections through paint
    • Painted hinges and knobs since I couldn't find black ones that came in smaller packs of 12
    • Used contact paper on counters
    Pending:

• Flooring. Planning to use "Sticky" vinyl over the current.
    • curtains/cushions
    • bathroom curtain mod (hate how the original sticks)
    • I want to connect plumbing lines for shower+sink. Theyre currently on opposite ends
    • I want to relocate my water pump so that it sits in the same cabinet as my water heater. It currently sits on the floor in a cabinet next to the heater but thats wasted storage space.
    Questions/ Help/ Suggestion request.:
    • Can someone take some pics of their stove setup? I took it apart to cover the counters and I cant seem to figure out how to reassemble the lid portion. Not sure about the hinges . Are they drilled into the wood?
    • I recently bought a 30 gallon tote for water capture and Im looking for ideas on how to transport that big guy. I would prefer not to carry it on the bed of my truck. How does everyone carry theirs? Pics?
    Lessons Learned:
    • I hate painting. I really hate painting. I become obsessed and consumed to the point of stressing out, over little things like missed spots, running paint marks or brush strokes. It stresses me out every single time lol
    • I dont have enough money lol. I see the changes as things come together and I look for more "fixes".
    Ive aded a few of my pictures here:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qbkc04wJ6nZwpuS6ydGiUyuvwIV1un4I

2. Tmackcj5

Tmackcj5 Member

Turbulent likes this.
  3. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

Thanks. I was thinking more along the lines of how to carry the tote while on the road. I used normally carry the aquatainer jugs in my truck bed but jumped on a great deal for the Barker tote. Like this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Barker-31342-Tote-Tank-Capacity/dp/B001MA2YLK

The problem is the size. Its huge. Was looking for ideas to somehow rig it to the trailer. Dont have much space on the tongue anymore unless it somehow sits on top of the batteries/crank...

Maybe a cargo carrier, but that would be future purchase/install.

4. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

This really depends on whether or not you are talking full or empty. If you want to rig something to carry it when empty, that is easier. If you have a bike carrier on the top of your pup, you could strap it up there. Another possibility would be to weld up a frame under the trailer that it can slide in and out of from the side. If the frame is strong enough and you have the clearance, you could stow and transport a full container this way. If I had one, and time to design something for my trailer, this would be the route I would go in.

Turbulent likes this.
  5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I built a rack of sorts on the rear bumper. I used a Rubbermaid garage storage/shelving track and 3 of their long (I think 10”) hooks. I cut down two ratchet straps and cross them to lock it in tight. I have done this for a couple years now, always with an empty tote, and no real issues. You do need to make sure the vent port is open. These totes will swell in the sun and with altitude changes. On mine I forgot to vent it and it swelled up enough to pop the axle out of its slot.

Looking to change to a Barker or the new Camco this year as a result. Mine is a Tote n Stor that I got cheap on craigslist some years back.