Repair, replace or remove?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Mamie, May 18, 2018.

1. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I don't even know if my refrigerator works. The PO's told me NOT to use the furnace, but said nothing about the refrigerator.

I don't expect to be doing any boon docking or taking long extended trips of 2 weeks of more. I will have to get ice chest/coolers to store perishable foods, cool drinks, etc. So do I really need a refrigerator or would I be better off completely removing it and using that area for storage, something I'm short on.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I would learn how it works and try it. I wouldn't want to remove a good fridge....I will never own a camper without a rv fridge.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Thanks. I've never camped, so I didn't know. Like a microwave, it has a little rust on the inside but I guess it could be painted.

Do you use it with propane?

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I agree. If it works you'll be glad you have the fridge. It beats the heck out of a cooler. [:)C]

Mamie likes this.
  5. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I use mine on propane when on the road or electricity is not available.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Why not to use the furnace?

I would definitely try the fridge before taking it out. Having to deal with a cooler is a pain. Having a refrigerator is infinitely more convenient.

7. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I was looking at compact refrigerators just in case it didn't work but haven't measured yet. I don't have a big ice chest yet either. All of this is after I get the sideboards fixed. There's a lot more to going camping than buying a camper and hooking it up to the truck.

You have propane lit in the PUP while you drive?

8. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I don't know what's wrong with the furnace, but they were both adamant about it. I'll have to get somebody that knows what they're doing to look at it because I don't want to light a match and blow up.

Orchid likes this.
  9. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    Yes, my fridge is running on propane when I drive.

10. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    How many propane tanks do you have? Could you also run it on a battery?

11. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I have 2 tanks. I cannot run my current fridge on a battery. My prior trailer had a 3 way fridge, however I never ran it on 12v

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

@Mamie It should be pretty easy to test the fridge on electricity if you van plug the camper into the House.

13. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    If this camping thing goes well, I guess I'll need another tank. I'm not even sure if the tank on it has any defects, but time will tell.

I have plugged it in and the ceiling lights work, but the receptacles didn't. At the time I didn't check the refrigerator; I was trying to get an electric heater to work.

14. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    We have a dorm fridge in our pup, which did not come with a fridge. Unfortunately it is a bit too tall to keep in the camper when closed up. I prefer our fridge over a cooler. I just don't like having to deal with getting ice. Of course we choose not to camp where we do not have power, but that is just our preference, which is not for everyone. Good luck & happy camping!

Orchid likes this.
  15. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Ice use to be cheap.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  16. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    We were in Eureka, Ca. last summer as we drove up the PCH. Paid over 4.00 small bag ice. I thought they were nuts as I drove down the street and same price. Double what we pay in Texas.

17. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I've been thinking about an ice-maker. My niece has one and I'm sure if she goes camping she will bring it. While that will do for having ice in, I'd still need ice in an ice chest.

18. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Nov 29, 2010
    Running the fridge on propane uses VERY little gas. Try running the fridge on AC first, as stated above. There are online owners manuals around if you do a little research.

PointyCamper likes this.
  19. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I'm hoping I can get that far. Now that I've started trying to remove the sideboards, it's storming every day. I sure wish I had a garage or shop that I could use. It would make this go a lot faster.

20. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Dont worry- you will get there eventually :)
    We had a 6 day camping trip last month that we only used our refrigerator on propane. Like he said, they really dont use much propane.
    And (at least here) we can take any old tank to a Blue Rhino place and get a new tank.
    It is not a full 20 gallons but the ease and convenience work for us.
    Otherwise we take other tank to hardware store to be weighed/filled.